Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Early FM Top 40 in Seattle

Re: Early FM Top 40 in Seattle

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg
    From a 1977 Broadcasting Yearbook, here are the FM stations between 92 and 108...

107.7 KRAB...Education/NPR...Seattle
    106.1 KLAY...Progressive Rock...Tacoma
    105.3 KBIQ...Beautiful...Edmonds (co-owned with Religion 630 KGDN)
    103.9 KBRD...Beautiful...Tacoma (co-owned with Top 40 850 KTAC)
    102.5 KZOK...Album Rock...Seattle (co-owned with 1590 KUUU Top 40)
    101.5 KVI-FM...Top 40...Seattle (co-owned with MOR 570 KVI)
    100.7 KSEA...Beautiful...Seattle (co-owned with MOR/News 710 KIRO)
    99.9 KISW...Progressive Rock...Seattle (co-owned with Top 40 950 KJR)
    98.9 KEZX...Beautiful...Seattle
    98.1 KING-FM...Classical...Seattle (co-owned with Top 40 1090 KING)
    97.3 KNBQ...No format listed...Tacoma (co-owned with Top 40 1400 KTNT)
    96.5 KYAK-FM...Black...Seattle (simulcast on 1250)
    95.7 KIXI-FM...Beautiful...Seattle (simulcast on 910)
    94.9 KUOW...Classical/NPR...Seattle
    94.1 KEUT...Beautiful...Seattle (co-owned with Country 1300 KMPS)
    93.3 KBLE-FM...Religion...Seattle (co-owned with Religion 1050 KBLE)
    92.5 KZAM-FM...Progressive Rock...Bellevue (simulcast on 1540)

Wow, how many Beautiful Music stations can one market have? I know they were easy to run. Most were just automated from a music service. But did Seattle-Tacoma need six on FM and one on AM?

There were three Progressive Rock stations plus KZOK which called itself Album Rock. I suppose the Progressive stations didn't have a playlist, allowing the DJs to pick their own music, while KZOK had moved to a programmed rock format.

Interesting to see KYAK-AM-FM with a Black format, which today would be called Urban. There's no Seattle station aimed at the African-American community today. And only one FM Top 40 station, KVI-FM, even though I count five Top 40 stations on AM.

Actually, the number of B/EZ stations in Seattle was pretty much AVERAGE at that time for any market. KBIQ however skewed towards the religious end of B/EZ. So I'm not sure if I'd count them amongst the mainstream B/EZ stations.

FM rock stations in 1977 weren't as free-form and libertine as they were 10 years earlier. Playlists of some kind were already in effect at most stations - including the "progressive rock" stations. If you wanted something closer to a KSAN/KMPX '60s style free-form station, KRAB was actually the closest, although they were not a "rock" station per se.

....and finally, it was KYAC, not KYAK in 1977. However before 1977 was over KYAC-FM would become automated Top 40 KYYX. KNBQ was also an automated Top 40. It wouldn't be until 1980 when FM started coming of age in Seattle....

My body is a temple; Ancient and crumbling. Probably cursed and haunted...

I'm not from the area but it seems to me that besides the Top 40 battle in Tacoma, there was another one in Everett between the two AMs up there.

As late as 1972 Burl Barer was playing album rock hits on KOL 1300 at night: Led Zeppelin, T.Rex, Byrds album cuts, etc. So the layoffs must have been some time late '72?

I think KUOW also played underground album rock music in the late '60's, maybe only at night.

Quote Originally Posted by semoochie
    I'm not from the area but it seems to me that besides the Top 40 battle in Tacoma, there was another one in Everett between the two AMs up there.
    In the late '50s, there was KQTY 1230 and KRKO 1380 going at it in the CHR wars. In the '70s, KQTY became Country KWYZ. KRKO would remain CHR (with a brief flip to country as KBAE during an insurance scam takeover in 1985) and back to CHR as KRFE in 1986, When the KRKO calls returned in 1987, they flipped to syndicated oldies....

Looking back at the FM station list from 1977, it's interesting to see that four stations have pretty much kept their call letters and formats over the last 35 years:

102.5 KZOK which today is Classic Rock
    99.7 KISW which today is Active Rock
    98.1 KING-FM, still Classical, although now non-commercial
    94.9 KUOW, still an NPR affiliate, although now with all News and Talk programs, not mixed with Classical.

Honorable mention goes to
    101.5 KPLZ (formerly KVI-FM), now Hot AC, not Top 40
    105.3 KCMS (formerly KBIQ), now Christian Contemporary, not Religious Easy Listening

Bonus points: Who knows original calls of 94.9?

KRSC?
    KSWW (AC) "Sunny" 102.1-101.1 -- KJET (Hot AC) "The Jet" 105.7-93.1 -- KANY (Hot Country) "Bigfoot" 107.3 -- KBKW (NewsTalk) "The Talk of Grays Harbor" 1450-100.5 -- KSWW HD-2 (Classic Rock) "The Quake" 103.9 -- KSWW HD-3 "Timber Country" 94.7<br />Keeping radio locally-owned on the Washington Coast.<br />Still using a microphone - 6:10-7:00 am - www.kbkw.com

KOMO-FM. They decided, like many others, FM not worth the hassle so gave it to the UW.
    KRSC was 98.1...housed in the old KAYO building on 4th ave s.!

I thought the original KOMO-FM was on 98.9 and 94.9 was the original KING-FM. When KRSC sold it's TV station to KING, they also threw in their FM station too and Dorothy Bullitt liked the 98.1 frequency better because it was smack in the middle of the FM dial. So she donated 94.9 to the UoW......

I remember KOL-FM doing the automation thing in 74-75. I didn't know anything about Schaefer at the time, so I was surprised to hear the same voice back announcing songs on a Bellingham or Vancouver station several years later.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast