• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

New '80s- and '90s-heavy station in Reno, NV

new_friends_gr

Frequent Participant
I just announced this on the Rhythmic AC board but thought I'd share it here too.

KWNZ (106.3 Pop FM) is a new station as of 5/6/13 that just signed on in Reno, Nevada. It has a classic pop feel to it but it can easily be described as Rhythmic AC. They play lots of great rhythmic pop/dance music from the late '70s through today that no other station is playing. I've been streaming it for the past couple hours, and I have to say I'm very impressed. Check out this sample playlist:

Prince - "Delirious"
Michel'le - "No More Lies"
Bruno Mars - "When I Was Your Man"
Debbie Deb - "When I Hear Music"
Kylie Minogue - "The Loco-Motion"
Alicia Bridges - "I Love The Nightlife (Disco Round)"
JoJo - "Leave (Get Out)"
Spice Girls - "Wannabe"
The System - "Don't Disturb This Groove"
David Guetta f/Sia - "Titanium"
Kriss Kross - "Jump"
Nu Shooz - "I Can't Wait"
Bobby Brown - "On Our Own"
Timex Social Club - "Rumors"
The Floaters - "Float On"
Destiny's Child - "Jumpin' Jumpin'"
Enigma - "Sadeness"
Pink - "Try"
Sweet Sensation - "I'm Hooked On You"
Wham! - "Everything She Wants"
Katy Perry - "Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.)"
Madonna - "Holiday"
Color Me Badd - "All 4 Love"
Varsity Fan Club - "Future Love"
Paula Abdul - "Opposites Attract"
Tara Kemp - "Hold You Tight"
Expose - "Let Me Be The One"
Usher - "U Remind Me"
SWV - "Right Here (Human Nature)"
Michael Jackson - "Off the Wall"
Monica - "Before You Walk Out of My Life"
Jennifer Lopez - "Waiting For Tonight"
Samantha Fox - "Touch Me (I Want Your Body)"
The Jets - "You Got It All"

Could this in any way be described as Variety Hits given the fact that its playlist spans from the late '70s through today?

Wikipedia describes the station as "'80s/'90s hits", but it's more than just '80s and '90s. It sounds a like lot like Rhythmic AC (it has a rhythmic/dance lean to it). However, they seem to present themselves as jammin' oldies too. One of their slogans is, "The hits are back!" It's strange hearing that if they are playing CHR hits from as recent as 2011-12.

Is it possible for "Variety Hits" stations to have a rhythmic lean?

WOW!!!!! Nice playlist! Detroit or Chicago could use a station like this!

steve82655 said:

It's amazing. You seriously need to check it out. Their playlist is incredible. It's such a new station now that it has hardly any advertising. So many great songs... one after the other.

http://www.1063popfm.com/

They stream. Enjoy!!!

Just got back from Reno an recorded a few airchecks of this station. It is really cool. I heard some songs I havent heard on the radio in decades. Check the station out if you can, it probably wont last long.......it is Reno after all....

shadough said:
Just got back from Reno an recorded a few airchecks of this station. It is really cool. I heard some songs I havent heard on the radio in decades. Check the station out if you can, it probably wont last long.......it is Reno after all....

Care to post the airchecks?

new_friends_gr said:
patk said:
steve82655 said:
there are more popfms on the way! also its like jackfm? :-\

It's WAY better (and much more rhythmic) than the Jack FMs could ever be.

Just listened to 20 minutes, agree 100%. WAY more rhythmic than any Jack I've heard.

In Los Angeles, the 100.3 FM frequency has a new station and a new format approximately every twenty minutes. (That, admittedly, might be an exaggeration.) From 1998 to 2000 the station was "Mega 100" KCMG and the format was known as "Jammin' Oldies." It was almost identical to what is being played on Reno's PopFM, except that PopFM plays a few songs that are only one or two years old. Of the eight songs I just heard, two of them are on the 34-song sample list posted by Mister NewFriends. I'm thinkin' that the playlist might be awfully small.

Love Hangover - Diana Ross
P.A.S.S.I.O.N. - Rhythm Syndicate
When I Hear Music - Debbie Deb
I'd Still Say Yes - Klymaxx
This Used To Be My Playground - Madonna
Born This Way - Lady GaGa
Delirious - Prince
Come & Get It - Selena Gomez

Definitely looks good at first glance. Hope they get that website up soon...it's been saying "soon" for a while now.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom