• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Stereo Tool 7.20 Release

Thanks for posting! Version 7.20 is indeed available now.

The most important new feature is the composite clipper, which also offers features like SSB stereo and an experimental 'multipath clipper'.

If you don't use composite clipping, the CPU load is a bit lower than in the previous version(s) - I'm using a new less expensive clipping method. Also the highs sound crisper (of course they sound a lot crisper when you're using the composite clipper, but even without that they sound better than before now).

Full list of changes:
http://www.stereotool.com/version_history.shtml

If you have an existing license, you can add the composite clipper to it at a reduced price (120 euro, about $155) for a short period of time; see http://register.stereotool.com/ . Other features will work with the existing licenses - so if you're using any older Stereo Tool version, download this new one for better quality and reduced CPU load.

Hello and congratulations Hans.

For my personal entertainment I run an old version of ST (6.10), mostly as a level-control for the wild variations in audio level and quality found across various radio station streams. Yes, it's an ancient version, but I know what precise adjustment to make for anything that's thrown at it.

My question to you is if I load the latest version & it's too much for my old PC box, how difficult is it to roll it back to exactly what I have now, including presets?

Thanks

@Doctor_Technical: If you don't change any settings I expect the CPU load to be considerably lower with the new version (depending on what you have enabled).

Make sure that you save your current settings, then just install the new version. If you're not happy, install the old version again (can be downloaded at the download page if you scroll down a bit), and load the preset that you saved before upgrading again - that's all.

(Stereo Tool consists of only 1 file, DLL or EXE. Except for that it has one file with settings.)

By the way: Especially if you your goal is to keep the level constant, you should really upgrade - version 6.20 and later versions have a redesigned AGC that's much better at removing sudden volume spikes.

Amazing product, Hans! ST does a seamless job not getting caught off guard by sudden volume spikes.

You should be proud. The comp clipper is phenomenal.

hvz said:
@Doctor_Technical: If you don't change any settings I expect the CPU load to be considerably lower with the new version (depending on what you have enabled).

Make sure that you save your current settings, then just install the new version. If you're not happy, install the old version again (can be downloaded at the download page if you scroll down a bit), and load the preset that you saved before upgrading again - that's all.

(Stereo Tool consists of only 1 file, DLL or EXE. Except for that it has one file with settings.)

By the way: Especially if you your goal is to keep the level constant, you should really upgrade - version 6.20 and later versions have a redesigned AGC that's much better at removing sudden volume spikes.
Where can I find the file with the settings (stand alone version) ? It's not in Program Files>Stereo Tool.

hvz said:

I sent you a PM, Hans. Check it out when you have time. I know the messages don't show up well on here. It's hard to notice that little notification.

@BobOnTheJob: It's in the user settings directory. Normally that's:
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\stereo_tool.ini for Windows XP
C:\Users\<username>\stereo_tool.ini for newer Windows versions.

But you normally don't need to access it manually (unless there are strange problems).

I'm using Ubuntu 12.10 as my OS@home. I'm no geek, I've chosen to try it for fun. And I like it. Looks like a free Windows ;D, although the drivers setup most of the time are a pit*.
That said... as I'm a very soft linux user, how do I install Stereotool and what will I be able to do with it on linux?

Linux command line version
Linux command line GUI version
(No installer - right-click and save;
then chmod for execute access)

Can anyone share some light?

The latest version that runs on Linux is 6.32, unfortunately. Also there is no sound card support yet - you can only do file-based processing - piping is of course also possible, so something like arecord | stereo_tool | aplay (all forced to use 16-bit stereo WAV format) will work.

hvz said:
@BobOnTheJob: It's in the user settings directory. Normally that's:
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\stereo_tool.ini for Windows XP
C:\Users\<username>\stereo_tool.ini for newer Windows versions.

But you normally don't need to access it manually (unless there are strange problems).
Thanks Hans...I'm trying to get a handle on why 7.20 doesn't come up on the last used preset. Can you tell me what action causes the .ini file to be updated with current information? I haven't determined yet if this happens on more than 1 computer and if older versions do it or not. Still fact finding.

The INI file is saved:
- When you minimize (to tray) the window
- When you close it

Just to make sure (I've had this question before): Are you really loosing the settings, or just the name of the preset? The name of the preset does not come up again after restarting, however the settings should still be there.

If that's not it, please check if the settings in the .ini file are changed when you close or minimize ST.

My ears do not lie. It is possible to get rrrright up to the loudness levels of contemporary boxes with ST...if not go past them....while sounding better and keeping dry voice cleanliness. Amazing piece of work.

Sgeirk said:
My ears do not lie. It is possible to get rrrright up to the loudness levels of contemporary boxes with ST...if not go past them....while sounding better and keeping dry voice cleanliness. Amazing piece of work.
That was my assessment of ST before the composite clipper was added. The $10,000 question is how many owners will be cool with a PC sitting on the floor doing their audio processing? Those who are are now in line to play with the big boys without paying the price of a front row seat.

My suggestion to anyone would be to build and configure one perfect clone yourself...and buy the same make and model motherboard, chipset, souncard, ssd and cpu...in quantity. And buy all the necessary licenses, obviously.

As long as i am sending composite to the xmtr via stl and the processor is at the studio, I can live with a pc with all standard necessary precautions: power, security, etc.

As soon as the same pc goes to a transmitter site under a much larger lightning rod...and a longer drive to get there...I need a remote control composite switch to sleep easy...accessible by some means...to put another box on. Just my opinion.

I would lean toward using outboard rds. It further minimizes a possible issue and electrical path.

Sgeirk..
I know exactly what you mean! I am using PC at transmitter site for more then 3 years and i had many problems with many stuff...
One by one all are fixed now and/or i found solutions how to avoid them. Now all works without single problem.

Power supplys, UPSs, cables, antenans, grounding(s),. .. etc.. all that can be potentional problem that can be solved!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom