• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Stations that mix Classic and New Country

Another song I heard and didn't like was "One of Those Nights" by Tim McGraw. People on this board have said there's nothing pop about him, and that may be true of his singing style, but "Live Like You Were Dying" HAS crossed over. I'm not saying this other one was really pop-sounding, but it's just not my idea of country music.

KEAN 105.1 Abilene, TX spins tons of 1980s rarities. I just heard a Judds '80s hit "Mama He's Crazy", earlier an early Mark Chesnutt hit, and T. Graham Brown. They also spin Earl Thomas Conley and Conway Twitty as well as others often.

-crainbebo

If you are not opposed to internet-only, AccuRadio allows you to mix their stations together. So you can mix a classic and modern country station together or any combination. And you can skip/ban songs. I am not sure if their latest version of their mobile app supports mixing however. Their web player does, so I assume the mobile app will in time if it does not already. I have not updated my app in a long time.

KTFW 92.1 Glen Rose, TX (Hank FM) is really good with their classic and newer country. When I heard them, they went back as far as the late 1970s (I've Always Been Crazy by Waylon Jennings, and an Emmylou Harris hit) plus many, many mid and late 2000s singles that didn't hit #1 or even the top 10. Who plays Toby Keith's "Every Dog Has It's Day", a #15 hit from early 2010? Completely gone from big-market stations. Same with his #5 2005 hit "Big Blue Note". They also play loads of Garth. Many of his songs are gone from big-market playlists (well, maybe Friends in Low Places an exception). I haven't heard "Two of a Kind, Workin' on a Full House" for a long time, and they spin that one often.

-crainbebo

We just received some more classic country to add to our mix. Can't wait to go through it.

crainbebo said:
KTFW 92.1 Glen Rose, TX (Hank FM) is really good with their classic and newer country. When I heard them, they went back as far as the late 1970s (I've Always Been Crazy by Waylon Jennings, and an Emmylou Harris hit) plus many, many mid and late 2000s singles that didn't hit #1 or even the top 10. Who plays Toby Keith's "Every Dog Has It's Day", a #15 hit from early 2010? Completely gone from big-market stations. Same with his #5 2005 hit "Big Blue Note". They also play loads of Garth. Many of his songs are gone from big-market playlists (well, maybe Friends in Low Places an exception). I haven't heard "Two of a Kind, Workin' on a Full House" for a long time, and they spin that one often.

-crainbebo
good analysis mr crainb. I long gave up on the current country airplay circus and chart analysis after 2000. try WQAH 105.7 from Alabama. A little weak on the personality side, or lack of. but, some great deep country and bluegrass in the mix. congrats on your quest for some earlier country edumication. most cats your age are socially engineered by omission to care less about Waylon and Emmylou. I was there in the early/mid 80's trying to learn about the earlier stuff as well(ironically Waylon and Emmylou too). seattle country radio failed me, so I bought lots of country albums, and eventually became an expert on country and talked my way into a couple back marker stations for on air country/bluegrass work. yep, I may not have won the Daytona 500, but at least I qualified for the race.

Today on KTFW, there was a Mac Davis hit, "Baby Don't Get Hooked On Me", some 90s Clay Walker ("Then What?"), and Boogie Woogie Fiddle Country Blues by Charlie Daniels. It's rare to hear ANY Charlie Daniels that's not The Devil Went Down to Georgia anymore. KTFW probably has at least 1500, maybe 2000 songs in the library from what I've heard. All types of mid-late 2000s singles, some that only reached #25 on the Hot Country charts, still being played.

-crainbebo

crainbebo said:
Today on KTFW, there was a Mac Davis hit, "Baby Don't Get Hooked On Me", some 90s Clay Walker ("Then What?"), and Boogie Woogie Fiddle Country Blues by Charlie Daniels. It's rare to hear ANY Charlie Daniels that's not The Devil Went Down to Georgia anymore. KTFW probably has at least 1500, maybe 2000 songs in the library from what I've heard. All types of mid-late 2000s singles, some that only reached #25 on the Hot Country charts, still being played.

-crainbebo
Lots of Charlie Daniels songs get played on the stations I have listened to.

jason99 said:
Name some of the best stations that I could pick up on Tunein or IHeartRadio that play a good mix of Classic and New Country...

*RAISES HAND* We do, we do!!

97.5 The Hound WDDH Saint Marys, PA. You can hear us on TuneIn and on our own Smartphone App. Or, tune in on our website at www.houndcountry.com

We play "Today's Best Country & Yesterday's Favorites" with an average 60/40 mix of new vs old country. About 2 classic country cuts per hour is what you get, sometimes more, sometimes less. I'm on the air for 5 hours a night, beginning at 3pm eastern.

Weeknights 6 to 8pm, I personally program 2 hours of nothing but pre 1992 classic country during "The Old Time Jukebox"

And when we say/play classic country, wether during "The Old Time Jukebox" or during the usual programming day.. we MEAN it. Not just this late 80s/early 90s stuff most stations play. We regularly play 50s, 60s and 70s country.

We're a 50,000 Watt FM serving 16 counties, with a coverage area from just north of Butler PA out to Jamestown, NY over to Wellsville, south to outside Clearfield, PA and west to Indiana, PA

Paul Walker

SomeRadioGuy said:
jason99 said:
Name some of the best stations that I could pick up on Tunein or IHeartRadio that play a good mix of Classic and New Country...

97.5 The Hound WDDH Saint Marys, PA. You can hear us on TuneIn and on our own Smartphone App. Or, tune in on our website at www.houndcountry.com

We play "Today's Best Country & Yesterday's Favorites" with an average 60/40 mix of new vs old country. About 2 classic country cuts per hour is what you get, sometimes more, sometimes less. I'm on the air for 5 hours a night, beginning at 3pm eastern.

Weeknights 6 to 8pm, I personally program 2 hours of nothing but pre 1992 classic country during "The Old Time Jukebox"

And when we say/play classic country, wether during "The Old Time Jukebox" or during the usual programming day.. we MEAN it. Not just this late 80s/early 90s stuff most stations play. We regularly play 50s, 60s and 70s country.

We're a 50,000 Watt FM serving 16 counties, with a coverage area from just north of Butler PA out to Jamestown, NY over to Wellsville, south to outside Clearfield, PA and west to Indiana, PA

Paul Walker

Just saw the playlist and are you kidding me? Ernest Tubb's Walking the Floor Over You from 1941?!? Impressive! I have a couple of country 78s from the same time (Lefty Frizzell, Johnny Bond, Tex Williams etc)

-crainbebo

crainbebo said:
SomeRadioGuy said:
jason99 said:

Paul Walker

Just saw the playlist and are you kidding me? Ernest Tubb's Walking the Floor Over You from 1941?!? Impressive! I have a couple of country 78s from the same time (Lefty Frizzell, Johnny Bond, Tex Williams etc)

-crainbebo

Crainbebo.. I play all of the guys you mentioned... Some more then others, but I have Em all.

We pride ourselves on playing the REAL classic country.

SomeRadioGuy said:
Crainbebo.. I play all of the guys you mentioned... Some more then others, but I have Em all.

...and also some polka music on sunday eh? yep, i checked out your websight this morning over an ice cold beer. hope your listening area likes what your all doin' and keepin the young uns edumicated on the old school country hits.

what 'bout the polka show?. i wonder what the average listener age is of that show? late 70's? we never knew don williams was into polka music hosting. oh um, its not that don "im just a country boy" williams.

watch out! someday some slicker with a standard operating procedure agenda may show up and cull all that willin and waylie, and hag from the lineup.

scott salvatori said:
SomeRadioGuy said:

...and also some polka music on sunday eh? yep, i checked out your websight this morning over an ice cold beer. hope your listening area likes what your all doin' and keepin the young uns edumicated on the old school country hits.

what 'bout the polka show?. i wonder what the average listener age is of that show? late 70's? we never knew don williams was into polka music hosting. oh um, its not that don "im just a country boy" williams.

watch out! someday some slicker with a standard operating procedure agenda may show up and cull all that willin and waylie, and hag from the lineup.

People love the polka music.. yeah, the listenership to that program is older.. but overall, its very popular.

We have 2 country stations elsewhere in our area.. one on the Western fringe of our coverage and another on the southern fringe of our area... both play nothing but top 40 hot country.... Our classic country/new country mix works well for us because of that reason.

WLRE radio has been playing classic country new country mix for the last 14 years and it has worked very well for us. Ten years ago we added southern gospel on Sundays and two years ago we added bluegrass to the mix. We currently have 25 thousand songs logged on the system with 15 thousand that is still being worked on, this is 14 years worth of work so far. WLRE is located in Elloree/Santee, SC and can be heard best on 96.5 FM. Due to two lightning strikes we took this summer our internet stream is currently down but will be back up very soon at www.wlreradio.com as we are still working on our server system.

Turned on KTFW 92.1 again after a few weeks - first thing I hear is "Big Bad John" by Jimmy Dean. 1961 hit. Impressive! Earlier they played Brewer and Shipley, plus The Kendalls' "Heaven's Just a Sin Away".

-crainbebo

Turned on KTFW 92.1 again after a few weeks - first thing I hear is "Big Bad John" by Jimmy Dean. 1961 hit. Impressive! Earlier they played Brewer and Shipley, plus The Kendalls' "Heaven's Just a Sin Away".

-crainbebo
I heard "Big Bad John" Tuesday morning, though it was on a Dial Global standards station, and on the local morning show.

Sun Country 99.5 is a Central Florida based Internet station that plays a good mix country hits from the 50s to today. Weeknights, Sun Country 99.5 devotes an hour to the 60s @ 6 (6pm Eastern), 70s @ 7 (7pm Eastern) and 2-hours of 80s/90s country hits on the Neon Armadillo (8pm-10pm Eastern).

Saturday night is the 5 hour extended version of the Neon Armadillo (7pm-12mid Eastern).

Sunday night is 5 hours of music from the 50s/60s that the family enjoyed listening to together on "The Front Porch" (7pm-12mid Eastern).

Streams live at http://mysuncountry.us or via TuneIn radio at http://tunein.com/radio/Sun-Country-995-s132105/.

Deano

Last edited:
When I say a station with a good mix of Classic and New Country. I'm talking the 70's to today. Maybe the late 70's would be a good start up until today.
Granted that for todays age group classic country music would probly start sometime in the 1970's but you do need a little mix of late 50's to 60's classics like Patsy Cline, Loretta Lynn, George Jones, Johnny Cash, ect...

Also here at WLRE we still play classic country to new country mix and have for the last 14 years. We also found a little mix of Bluegrass every once in a while helps with ratings too. For a while we had help here that was playing just about everything from the 40's 50's and 60's as well as the 70's up to today. We tried that for 9 months with mixed success and then returned to our original format but left a little mix of the Bluegrass in since it works.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom