• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Are they Sirius?

vchimpanzee

Walk of Fame Participant
I went in a bank and the music was just plain junk. I assumed it was the local AC station until I heard a station ID "Sirius/XM The Blend".

Siriusly? In a respectable place of business, they have Sirius/XM and that's the best they can do?

I was so happy to go back out to the car and hear Sinatra and Ella Fitzgerald and Perry Como. I wasn't too happy about all the static but power lines make most everything work these days, and they tend to me near the road.

vchimpanzee said:
I went in a bank and the music was just plain junk. I assumed it was the local AC station until I heard a station ID "Sirius/XM The Blend".

Siriusly? In a respectable place of business, they have Sirius/XM and that's the best they can do?

I was so happy to go back out to the car and hear Sinatra and Ella Fitzgerald and Perry Como. I wasn't too happy about all the static but power lines make most everything work these days, and they tend to me near the road.

I like those older artists you mentioned too, but the reality is, it's 2013 and you just don't hear those great voices anymore in public places. They'll be saying the same thing about Adele and Bruno Mars in 2063.

Vchimp, you would undoubtedly find SiriusXM's "Love" more to your liking. Although even they have a few bizarre tunes, like LeAnn Rimes' "...Baby One More Time" clone, "Can't Fight The Moonlight." I do like that song, but it sounds bizarre being on the same station as the Carpenters, Diamond and Manilow.

Of course if the op likes Sinatra and Ella Fitzgerald and Perry Como, SiriusXM has The Siriusly Sinatra channel and 40's on 4 that play those artists.

radiodog2 said:
Of course if the op likes Sinatra and Ella Fitzgerald and Perry Como, SiriusXM has The Siriusly Sinatra channel and 40's on 4 that play those artists.
It would be too much to expect a bank to have those. I don't have the money to put Sirius/XM in my car. But "Love" would be a more reasonable choice for a professional business.

vchimpanzee said:
radiodog2 said:
It would be too much to expect a bank to have those. I don't have the money to put Sirius/XM in my car. But "Love" would be a more reasonable choice for a professional business.

Not anymore. I'm hearing Talking Heads while shopping at Safeway.

michael hagerty said:
vchimpanzee said:
radiodog2 said:

There's no such thing as "not anymore". You're either professional or you're not. A professional office that doesn't sound professional will offend people and lose business.

And I won't put up with garbage like that at my grocery store. They've been through this before. They will do what I say. When they were reluctant, I just mentioned I would add to the voices who say that in the area immediately surrounding the headquarters city, they have a monopoly and don't have to treat the customers right. So they know to treat me right.

vchimpanzee said:
michael hagerty said:
vchimpanzee said:
radiodog2 said:

There's no such thing as "not anymore". You're either professional or you're not. A professional office that doesn't sound professional will offend people and lose business.

And I won't put up with garbage like that at my grocery store. They've been through this before. They will do what I say. When they were reluctant, I just mentioned I would add to the voices who say that in the area immediately surrounding the headquarters city, they have a monopoly and don't have to treat the customers right. So they know to treat me right.

A successful professional business grows and adapts to the tastes of its clientele. There are 50 year olds who grew up on New Wave. The Ramones' "I Wanna Be Sedated"is showing up on research as a "feel good" song for women currently in their 40s.

In other words, when you walk into Bank of America, Chase, Wells Fargo or whichever, they're attempting to appeal to grownups (without usually going as far as Talking Heads or The Ramones). Milton Drysdale won't be coming out of his office to greet you while Mantovani plays softly in the background.

I'm happy for you that you have the power to force your local monopolistic grocer not to play music you personally don't like (what do you have them playing?). I'm very sad for all the customers who don't share your taste in music.

vchimpanzee said:

Yes, and for good reason. Businesses that subscribe to them (for a higher fee than consumers) get their royalties paid to ASCAP/BMI.

If you're a business and you put speakers in the ceiling and play the radio, you're on the hook for royalty payments. There are very few exceptions to the rule (namely square footage and using a radio commonly found in homes in plain sight). The bigger you are, the more likely you are to get caught.

michael hagerty said:
vchimpanzee said:
michael hagerty said:
vchimpanzee said:
radiodog2 said:

A successful professional business grows and adapts to the tastes of its clientele. There are 50 year olds who grew up on New Wave. The Ramones' "I Wanna Be Sedated"is showing up on research as a "feel good" song for women currently in their 40s.

In other words, when you walk into Bank of America, Chase, Wells Fargo or whichever, they're attempting to appeal to grownups (without usually going as far as Talking Heads or The Ramones). Milton Drysdale won't be coming out of his office to greet you while Mantovani plays softly in the background.

I'm happy for you that you have the power to force your local monopolistic grocer not to play music you personally don't like (what do you have them playing?). I'm very sad for all the customers who don't share your taste in music.
That isn't exactly how it is, but I once talked to headquarters about the music, and they said if it was too loud I could ask them to turn it down. Fortunately, it's not the harder stuff I hear at a competitor, though the competitor can choose different formats and sometimes they have classical. It is believed by people on this site that the grocery store I go to has Muzak FM1, which is respectable at least some of the time. Or it may be a custom program, as it was at one time. You can read about my experiences on the Muzak thread. And I don't feel sorry for anyone who doesn't share my taste in music because they should be going to the grocery to shop, not listen to music. I shop better when not bombarded with noise.

I will say that the people in this store are very nice and because of that I'm reluctant to complain about things, though I will. Because they are so nice, I'm usually able to do that in a nice way.

I still think it's completely insane to choose a place to shop (or not shop) just because of what kind of music they play. For me, when I choose a store, I look at things like... oh... I don't know... price? quality and variety of merchandise?

new_friends_gr said:
I still think it's completely insane to choose a place to shop (or not shop) just because of what kind of music they play. For me, when I choose a store, I look at things like... oh... I don't know... price? quality and variety of merchandise?
I think it's completely insane to force noise on people, and if I find the noise unpleasant those other things aren't going to keep me in the store.

vchimpanzee said:
new_friends_gr said:
I think it's completely insane to force noise on people, and if I find the noise unpleasant those other things aren't going to keep me in the store.

Sorry... your musical tastes are clearly in the minority. Stores cannot cater to one ridiculous customer's demands for music. I'm sure they don't even want your business.

new_friends_gr said:
vchimpanzee said:
new_friends_gr said:

Sorry... your musical tastes are clearly in the minority. Stores cannot cater to one ridiculous customer's demands for music. I'm sure they don't even want your business.
They're not going to get it.

You guys can have it worse: imagine having to wait 30 minutes or more in a drugstore while speakers are blasting Radio Disney. To add insult to the injury, the drugstore I always go (no chance to change to another one) has a TV-set tuned to an all-news channel that I actually like and people waiting there clearly watches, but with the volume to the minimum... There was even at least one time when the TV was tuned to VH-1... which, with no sound, is pretty much useless.

Eduardo said:
You guys can have it worse: imagine having to wait 30 minutes or more in a drugstore while speakers are blasting Radio Disney. To add insult to the injury, the drugstore I always go (no chance to change to another one) has a TV-set tuned to an all-news channel that I actually like and people waiting there clearly watches, but with the volume to the minimum... There was even at least one time when the TV was tuned to VH-1... which, with no sound, is pretty much useless.
There was a time when my grocery store blasted CNN Headline News. I mean blasted. And the noise every time they would go to a commercial--something resembling music--was intolerable. I asked them to turn it down and was told CNN dictates the volume. I left. Fortunately, my father was living with me at the time and he could do the shopping while I waited. Those TVs were gone in a matter of weeks.

I can understand buildings like banks and hospitals to have TVs at a moderate volume tuned to a news channel or a popular OTA station, since it makes the waiting less of a burden. But a store blasting ANY channel deserves a slow death! :D

Sir, I'm sure you're a very nice man, but...wow...I'm speechless.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom