• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Frank Cody, Denver's Old KBPI, "Grandfather of Smooth Jazz", Ill?

jfrancispastirchak

Star Participant
Recently learned that Smooth Jazz programming pioneer Frank Cody is ill. Wondering if any R/D members have any updates.

From a humble career startup in Albuquerque's AM market at age 16, Frank's programming & productions skills have since earned him rave reviews in Los Angeles (KLOS) and Denver (KBPI) since the 1980s. Billboard Magazine mentioned his work in Denver in 1978. Kenny O'Dell has called him the Grandfather of Smooth Jazz. Among Frank's acheivements were programming duties for NBC, CBS and a major satellite service provider, before his recent return to Abiqui NM.

In the late '60s and early '70s, Frank and I were remotely acquainted in Albuquerque through my association with KDEF. Even then his peers praised him for demonstrating such sharp programming instincts at such a young age.

I doubt Frank would remember me today, but I wish him well and would certainly welcome any updates.

Thanks,
JFP

« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 09:25:43 AM by jfrancispastirchak »

^^^ Yes, he has.

I watched Frank work. As a 20-ish kid, he worked the "board", whether in the studio or the production room, with lightning speed. He could do an old fashioned reel-to-reel splice with the precision of a surgeon. Early on, his reputation in Albuquerque was for his remarkable production work. I myself was floored by his on-air delivery; Frank had an unusually "high" voice, compared to the typically bassy vocals of most of his male contemporaries. But he was smooth and breezy; he made it work.

Frank's notoriety in jazz programming came later, but it's a sparkling portfolio you can read by GOOGLING his name. By the way, your sign- off mentioned Boston. How did you know Frank?

Been in radio since '66...started WCOZ, EEI/FM Softrock...met at NAFMB + R & R Conventions.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom