• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WOCN Ed Winton music library

WINZ-FM was actually sold by Rex Rand to Arthur Zucker who had worked for him. Call letters changed to WAEZ and located studios to the basement of the Deauville Hotel with the tower on the roof. I got quite an education working as a disk jockey under the direction of program director Roger Harvey. One of the first FM only popular music commercial radio stations in the country. Despite the superior audio quality, FM didn't really take off as a true competitor to AM until FM became common in cars.

I was also fortunate to host the first radio show on the new WPBF-FM (sister station to the highly successful WIRK am in West Palm Beach). WPBF eventually evolved to WIRK-FM (the country K) under the ownership of Joe Field, Rome Hartman and Jim Barnette. I eventually moved up to general sales manager unti shortly after the stations were sold to Price Communications.

Steve Berger

Hello - if you are still out there, I know how to reach Lance Winton.
hi everyone ... i recently saw a few posts regarding WOCN AM/FM in miami. i worked at that station 3 times over a 7 year period and was hoping to share anecdotes with anyone on this board who may be aware or worked at the stations. i also worked at WGMA AM, WQXK FM, WIOD, WCMQ AM/FM and WINZ AM/FM on both the all-news side on AM and the music side on the FM ... i was at WINZ AM/FM 3 times over a 20 year period. i regard to WOCN specifically, i have been trying to locate the whereabouts ed winton's music library. ed had a son, lance, and i wonder if anyone knows how to reach him.

I should have mentioned this a long time ago. WOCN's record library was purchased by Joe Amaturo for use on what was then WGLO 106.7. WGLO did their own in house beautiful music format. WGLO had a music dubbing studio with state of the art McCurdy console and Thorens turntables. The automation tapes were made there.

I should have mentioned this a long time ago. WOCN's record library was purchased by Joe Amaturo for use on what was then WGLO 106.7. WGLO did their own in house beautiful music format. WGLO had a music dubbing studio with state of the art McCurdy console and Thorens turntables. The automation tapes were made there.

There was another copy of all of WOCN music at WWBA Tampa. Ocean's music also made in house on 10 inch & 7 inch home made reels that I used to record from records to tape and make copies for WWBA. Alot of the records had a WAEZ stamp on them. I did that for years at WOCN. No idea where the tapes are now.

Last edited:
I remember listening to 107.3, WWBA, in the late 70's and early 80's, when they were playing the tapes which you recorded.
My old friend, Bob Hughes, worked for WWBA at the time.

Attachments

• WWBA, Bob Hughes, early 80's.jpg
    WWBA, Bob Hughes, early 80's.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom