• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

most infuriating! pre-emptions by local stations

Do your local affiliates still do this?
In Cincinnati in the 1970s, WLWT (the NBC affiliate) used to pre-empt prime-time programming in the spring, summer and fall to air out-of-town Cincinnati Reds games or to air an old movie instead of the movie NBC had. I was SOOOO glad when the cable stations started airing the games instead in the 1980s!
For the past few decades (at least since the 1990s), WCPO (which was the CBS affiliate until 1994, when it became the ABC affiliate) has periodically pre-empted its programming for either University of Cincinnati basketball games on Saturday nights, or for charity or fund-raising programs. WCPO was notorious for pre-empting Dr. Quinn in the 1990s and Ugly Betty in the 2000s. Last week it was Last Resort.
Then, of course, there are the doomsday meteorologists who are EVERYWHERE all the time when more than 2 inches of snow is predicted or there is a tornado watch. I've learned to read a book on those nights.
I've noticed over the years that, much of the time, the shows that go pre-empted are more popular with female than male viewers.
Do your stations still do this?
I realize that much of what I have just written is a moot point for 2013, because there are other ways to watch your favorite programs rather than just when they are supposed to be airing. But this situation was infuriating to me for many decades before we all had those other opportunities.

Was not really an issue for me in Pittsburgh because a) I generally preferred the Pirates game to whatever
CBS program might normally run on KDKA at that time (the Pittsburgh Pirates, despite entering their third
decade of futility, continue to have some of the highest local TV ratings in Major League Baseball), and
b) I lived high enough on the hill that it was a simple matter for me to tune to WTRF-7 out of Wheeling, WV
or WKBN-27 from Youngstown, Ohio to watch CBS programming.

It wasn't a big issue in Boston either. Red Sox games moved to WSBK TV 38, an independent, in 1975. Once that was done more games were televised. (Yeah!!) The southern portion of the market could get the Rhode Island stations in case of preemptions. Unfortunately for the north the two stations that came in the best were WMUR and WMTW, both ABC affiliates.

MCarney said:
It wasn't a big issue in Boston either. Red Sox games moved to WSBK TV 38, an independent, in 1975. Once that was done more games were televised. (Yeah!!) The southern portion of the market could get the Rhode Island stations in case of preemptions. Unfortunately for the north the two stations that came in the best were WMUR and WMTW, both ABC affiliates.

Much like in Cleveland in 1980, when they moved from the CBS affiliate to the local independent. They had been showing 40 games for years, but immediately jumped to 70.

FreddyE1977 said:
Was not really an issue for me in Pittsburgh because a) I generally preferred the Pirates game to whatever
CBS program might normally run on KDKA at that time (the Pittsburgh Pirates, despite entering their third
decade of futility, continue to have some of the highest local TV ratings in Major League Baseball), and
b) I lived high enough on the hill that it was a simple matter for me to tune to WTRF-7 out of Wheeling, WV

What about WTAJ-10 from Altoona-Johnstown?

WBTV -Charlotte,NC back in the 1970's had many pre-emptions of CBS programming.
Sometimes would run the show a few days later @ 1:00am.
I recall many Top 10 CBS programs were handled this way.

FreddyE1977 said:

That was feasible because, apparently, neither WTRF nor WKBN carried Pirates games. In skippercollector's case, though, back in times of old, despite the OTA availability of Dayton's WLWD/WDTN (channel 2) in Cincinnati for NBC as an alternative to WLWT, for much of that time WLWD was co-owned with WLWT, and had the Reds game simulcasted along with channel 5. For him to get NBC in spite of that would have required him to pull in Indianapolis' WFBM/WRTV (channel 6) or Louisville's WAVE (channel 3); in Indy the Reds were carried by WLWI, channel 13, an ABC affil and another of the Crosley/AVCO stations, so WFBM would have been his best bet. High hills wouldn't have been enough, though, to work; he would have needed a high-gain and tall stick on top of his place to even get a rimshot signal of either WFBM or WAVE.

To explain further why WLWT preempted so much NBC before Multimedia took over in the late Seventies: Pittsburgh and Cincinnati have a lot of similarities besides just being on the Ohio River and surrounded by high hills. They were, in days past, heavily ethnic cities (Eastern Europeans in Pittsburgh, Germans in Cincinnati) where drinking beer, masculine camraderie, and sports fanship were not just pastimes, but a way of life. Those cities were also small enough to have a strong civic unanimity about one particular sport over others; in Pittsburgh, it tended to be the football Steelers (baseball Pirates before 1970), and in Cincinnati, it was and still is the baseball Reds.

Point being, if Freddy says that the Pirates were (and are) so big a draw in western Pennsylvania, the Reds were even more so in southern Ohio, northern Kentucky and eastern Indiana. skippercollector would have been seen as strange, possibly, by his friends if he had made it known that he preferred network programming to Reds games. The WLW network made so much money off the AVCO mini-network to Dayton, Columbus, and Indy over the years that, if you liked NBC's daytime shows or summer primetime in those places, it was, to put it delicately, tough (expletive). Unlike today, local culture often trumped the cosmopolitan preferences that skippercollector presumably had. The Reds were to the Tri-State what chili and spaghetti, goetta sausage, and German Gothic architecture were: parts of the Cincinnati cultural landscape that outsiders thought strange, but that were fiercely defended by locals.

Other examples of that can be found, especially in the South where college football is king in states like Alabama and Mississippi and basketball in states like Kentucky and North Carolina.

Having the Reds or UC basketball pre-empt network programming was never an issue for me in those years because if the baseball or basketball game wasn't being televised, I wouldn't be watching TV. There was a time before those years, when UC basketball was televised on WLW-T and WCPO-TV. That, of course, pre-empted network programming on those channels on those nights.

On a slightly-different tangent, I felt slightly ticked as a young teen in 1983 when WTVT in Tampa Bay pre-empted an all-new Peanuts special, "Is This Goodbye, Charlie Brown?" for, of all things, a "Three's Company" rerun.

to mike stroud

Everything you said is correct, except for one little detail: change the "him" to "her."
Am I the only female here?
My Internet name is Skippercollector. Usually women understand it immediately. Men, however, quite often don't have a clue. It has nothing to do with sailing or Gilligan's Skipper or Madagascar's Skipper and everything to do with Barbie's Skipper.
As for picking up Indianapolis stations: Our house was on the top of a hill that faced west, in western Hamilton County. We didn't have an outside antenna. With some finagling of the TVs, I could (sometimes) pick up Indianapolis's Channel 4 or 32 and Louisville's Channel 3, but I wasn't always successful.

I'm pretty sure WLWT also used to preempt 'Gimme A Break' and 'Diff'rent Strokes' with 'The Billy Graham Crusade'. Completely unacceptable.

And of course there was a problem for years with WXIX preempting 'The Simpsons' with UC games that nobody watched.

On the subject of pre-emptions, WPSD-TV of Paducah, KY, could probably have a chapter in that book all by themselves. They used to routinely interrupt NBC programming for UK basketball, this despite the fact that their signal could apparently be seen in up to five other states! Then there was that frustrating hour-long delay of Saturday Night Live (back when I was too young to stay up to watch it) for close to 20 years! :eek:

WBIR-TV 10 in Knoxville was notorious of pre-empting shows on CBS during the late 70s/early 80s in order to show a country music special instead. The specials were produced by LandMark Media, which was also the corporation that owned WBIR at the time. There were one time that I remember when CBS had been advertising a movie that I really wanted to see only to pre-empted by the forth airing of the "Statler Brothers on the Mississippi River". I thought that special sucked the first time it aired, why air it another three times?

jwk1979 said:
WBIR-TV 10 in Knoxville was notorious of pre-empting shows on CBS during the late 70s/early 80s in order to show a country music special instead. The specials were produced by LandMark Media, which was also the corporation that owned WBIR at the time. There were one time that I remember when CBS had been advertising a movie that I really wanted to see only to pre-empted by the forth airing of the "Statler Brothers on the Mississippi River". I thought that special sucked the first time it aired, why air it another three times?

Simple, friend. You were in the minority in eastern Tennessee, a hotbed of country music fans. Much like my observation about Cincinnati above, tastes were far from uniform across the country. WBIR knew that and figured it could get a lot more money on local sales from that than the net feed. Regardless of our armchair second-guessing here, the station felt it a no-brainer at the time.

Another thing to remember, cable had not become as big as it is today, with the umpteen options folks have to watch anything they want. Local OTA stations had a lot more power in scheduling than they do now. Since stations and networks are now in the same boat facing possible extinction, the preemption issue has largely gone away, with both working together to keep their shrinking slice of the pie.

Re: to mike stroud

skippercollector said:
Everything you said is correct, except for one little detail: change the "him" to "her."
Am I the only female here?
My Internet name is Skippercollector. Usually women understand it immediately. Men, however, quite often don't have a clue. It has nothing to do with sailing or Gilligan's Skipper or Madagascar's Skipper and everything to do with Barbie's Skipper.

My sincere apologies, ma'am. I suspect I was in fact addressing you as if this was an all-male forum. The old stereotype about sports fans was more operative in my mis-perception than male chauvinism, I hope. I shall hedge my bets from here on out with a slash: "him/her." I advise all others to give that consideration, too.

CBS was scheduled to air the movie "GoodFellas" sometime in the mid-2000s; instead, they aired one of Chuck Norris' "President's Man" movies. The station got quite a few complaints. I know CBS would have censored "GoodFellas" to hellangone, but substituting Chuck Norris?
The local CBS station decided not to air the first Victoria's Secret fashion show, airing two "Frasier" reruns in its place. Talk about complaints...

NoWayNoCC said:
I'm pretty sure WLWT also used to preempt 'Gimme A Break' and 'Diff'rent Strokes' with 'The Billy Graham Crusade'. Completely unacceptable.

I can't remember any specific programming, but I always hated when WTVW-Evansville (then ABC) would carry a Billy Graham crusade. I think it usually happened on a Friday night, which would have likely meant the old TGIF comedy line-up.

RyanHoward said:
FreddyE1977 said:

What about WTAJ-10 from Altoona-Johnstown?

Not really receivable from my house. It was strange because I knew people just a few blocks away
who could pick up Altoona and Johnstown, but none of the Ohio stations. Pittsburgh had some really
crazy terrain when it came to OTA reception.

rnigma said:
CBS was scheduled to air the movie "GoodFellas" sometime in the mid-2000s; instead, they aired one of Chuck Norris' "President's Man" movies. The station got quite a few complaints. I know CBS would have censored "GoodFellas" to hellangone, but substituting Chuck Norris?
The local CBS station decided not to air the first Victoria's Secret fashion show, airing two "Frasier" reruns in its place. Talk about complaints...
What station in what city?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom