Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 73

Thread: most infuriating! pre-emptions by local stations

  1. #21

    Re: most infuriating! pre-emptions by local stations

    Quote Originally Posted by FreddyE1977
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanHoward
    Quote Originally Posted by FreddyE1977
    Was not really an issue for me in Pittsburgh because a) I generally preferred the Pirates game to whatever
    CBS program might normally run on KDKA at that time (the Pittsburgh Pirates, despite entering their third
    decade of futility, continue to have some of the highest local TV ratings in Major League Baseball), and
    b) I lived high enough on the hill that it was a simple matter for me to tune to WTRF-7 out of Wheeling, WV
    or WKBN-27 from Youngstown, Ohio to watch CBS programming.
    What about WTAJ-10 from Altoona-Johnstown?
    .

    Not really receivable from my house. It was strange because I knew people just a few blocks away
    who could pick up Altoona and Johnstown, but none of the Ohio stations. Pittsburgh had some really
    crazy terrain when it came to OTA reception.
    Someone I know who grew up in New Hampshire has a similar story. One side of the street got channel 6 - WCSH from Portland, Maine. The other side got channel 6 - WLNE from New Bedford, Mass. Which is funny because there were places (pre-digtial) in Rhode Island that can't get WLNE in at all.

    There's another more recent preemption story from the Boston market. WFXT Fox25 had the Red Sox from 2000-2002. They would tape delay the NASCAR races, run them after the Sox game and delay whatever prime-time shows that were preempted until 11 PM (usually it would be "King of the Hill" and "Futurama"). There was one NASCAR fan that flooded the station with angry faxes, e-mails and calls and he was taken to court over it.

  2. #22

    Re: most infuriating! pre-emptions by local stations

    Quote Originally Posted by jwk1979
    WBIR-TV 10 in Knoxville was notorious of pre-empting shows on CBS during the late 70s/early 80s in order to show a country music special instead. The specials were produced by LandMark Media, which was also the corporation that owned WBIR at the time.
    Actually at the time, Multimedia, which also owned WFBC / WYFF in Greenville (amongst others), owned WBIR. The only Landmark station I knew about in Tennessee was WTVF in Nashville.

  3. #23

    Re: most infuriating! pre-emptions by local stations

    Quote Originally Posted by newsmark
    Quote Originally Posted by rnigma
    CBS was scheduled to air the movie "GoodFellas" sometime in the mid-2000s; instead, they aired one of Chuck Norris' "President's Man" movies. The station got quite a few complaints. I know CBS would have censored "GoodFellas" to hellangone, but substituting Chuck Norris?
    The local CBS station decided not to air the first Victoria's Secret fashion show, airing two "Frasier" reruns in its place. Talk about complaints...
    What station in what city?
    WCTV, Tallahassee.

  4. #24

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Yakima, WA
    Posts
    10,221

    Re: most infuriating! pre-emptions by local stations

    KIRO 7 here in Seattle did not air Bold & The Beautiful off CBS until the flip from UPN back to CBS in early 1997. KIRO was owned by the Mormons (Bonneville).
    Also, they killed over twelve hours of programming last year to air non stop coverage of a snow storm (January 2012). Of course it's needed because 98% of drivers do not know how to drive in snow!

    -crainbebo
    782 AM's in the log, 663 FMs (250 from Western WA), That's a DXer!
    FM, AM and SW DXer of Yakima, WA! God Bless America!
    Last New FM Log: KATW-101.5 Lewiston ID, 6/25/19
    Last New AM Log: 1570 WFRL Freeport IL, 3/3/19

  5. #25
    FredLeonard
    Guest

    Re: most infuriating! pre-emptions by local stations

    ABC stations will preempt network shows for football games that are normally part of an ESPN package when a local team is playing. When that happens, they usually run the network show in the middle of the night or on the weekend (and my Tivo picks it up).

  6. #26

    Re: most infuriating! pre-emptions by local stations

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stroud
    Quote Originally Posted by jwk1979
    WBIR-TV 10 in Knoxville was notorious of pre-empting shows on CBS during the late 70s/early 80s in order to show a country music special instead. The specials were produced by LandMark Media, which was also the corporation that owned WBIR at the time. There were one time that I remember when CBS had been advertising a movie that I really wanted to see only to pre-empted by the forth airing of the "Statler Brothers on the Mississippi River". I thought that special sucked the first time it aired, why air it another three times?
    Simple, friend. You were in the minority in eastern Tennessee, a hotbed of country music fans. Much like my observation about Cincinnati above, tastes were far from uniform across the country. WBIR knew that and figured it could get a lot more money on local sales from that than the net feed. Regardless of our armchair second-guessing here, the station felt it a no-brainer at the time.

    Another thing to remember, cable had not become as big as it is today, with the umpteen options folks have to watch anything they want. Local OTA stations had a lot more power in scheduling than they do now. Since stations and networks are now in the same boat facing possible extinction, the preemption issue has largely gone away, with both working together to keep their shrinking slice of the pie.
    Even if only a few people wanted to see those country specials, the station still got to keep all the ad $. Didn't some other small market station pre-empt St. Elsewhere with Rodeo? Stations still pre-empt network programming today, it's just not as noticeable today because they do usually do it during reruns. It mights news when whatever they show instead gets almost the same ratings (like what WKYC did with Matlock).

  7. #27

    Re: most infuriating! pre-emptions by local stations

    But now you have the problem with some stations pre-empting programs for infomercials, which WSMV in Nashville has done. Granted it was on a Saturday night, but it's still inexcusable. The FCC and the networks should put a stop to that. >

  8. #28

    Re: most infuriating! pre-emptions by local stations

    Quote Originally Posted by crainbebo
    KIRO 7 here in Seattle did not air Bold & The Beautiful off CBS until the flip from UPN back to CBS in early 1997. KIRO was owned by the Mormons (Bonneville).
    In the Tampa Bay area, WTVT also refused to show Bold & Beautiful, due to their hour-long noon news -- it wasn't until the early-1990s when WTMV (WMOR) picked up the soap, moving to WTSP after tyhe affiliation switch in 1994. B&B's predecessors, "Capitol" and "Search for Tomorrow", went unseen in Tampa Bay. When Search moved to NBC, WXFL (WFLA) preferred "All in the Family" reruns at 12:30PM instead.

    And while WTVT cleared Young & Restless and As the World Turns, both soaps (at least Y&R) were on a week delay; they became same-day when CBS moved to WTSP, though WTSP would show a marathon of the previous week's Y&R episodes late one Saturday the weekend of the switch, so no one would miss anything when WTSP began carrying Y&R "live" with the switch.

  9. #29

    Re: most infuriating! pre-emptions by local stations

    Quote Originally Posted by anotherguy
    But now you have the problem with some stations pre-empting programs for infomercials, which WSMV in Nashville has done. Granted it was on a Saturday night, but it's still inexcusable. The FCC and the networks should put a stop to that. >
    was it an infomercial for a local hospital or grocery store or a typical late night infomercial for Power 90?

  10. #30

    Re: most infuriating! pre-emptions by local stations

    Quote Originally Posted by azumanga
    Quote Originally Posted by crainbebo
    KIRO 7 here in Seattle did not air Bold & The Beautiful off CBS until the flip from UPN back to CBS in early 1997. KIRO was owned by the Mormons (Bonneville).
    In the Tampa Bay area, WTVT also refused to show Bold & Beautiful, due to their hour-long noon news -- it wasn't until the early-1990s when WTMV (WMOR) picked up the soap, moving to WTSP after tyhe affiliation switch in 1994. B&B's predecessors, "Capitol" and "Search for Tomorrow", went unseen in Tampa Bay. When Search moved to NBC, WXFL (WFLA) preferred "All in the Family" reruns at 12:30PM instead.

    And while WTVT cleared Young & Restless and As the World Turns, both soaps (at least Y&R) were on a week delay; they became same-day when CBS moved to WTSP, though WTSP would show a marathon of the previous week's Y&R episodes late one Saturday the weekend of the switch, so no one would miss anything when WTSP began carrying Y&R "live" with the switch.
    it was easier to delay a soap by a week before the days of internet, spoilers were hard to come by

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

     
Useful Contacts
Community


123