Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 73

Thread: most infuriating! pre-emptions by local stations

  1. #41

    Re: most infuriating! pre-emptions by local stations

    Quote Originally Posted by anotherguy
    Also WREG carried reruns of MASH and later Cheers instead of CBS's late night programming until David Letterman moved there.
    WREG had reruns of MASH and Cheers for many years, along with Perry Mason. I think they stopped around 2008/2009.

  2. #42

    Re: most infuriating! pre-emptions by local stations

    Quote Originally Posted by kingskip
    Quote Originally Posted by anotherguy
    Also WREG carried reruns of MASH and later Cheers instead of CBS's late night programming until David Letterman moved there.
    WREG had reruns of MASH and Cheers for many years, along with Perry Mason. I think they stopped around 2008/2009.
    You're right. WREG would use those 3 shows and their classic movie library (until the 90's when Ted Turner bought up the rights to a lot of them) to fill any non-network time late nights and weekends. Now they run almost nothing but infomercials.

    In August last year there were a few Saturday or Sunday afternoons with no sports on CBS, and you can guess what they filled the time with - 5 hours or more of infomercials! They used to be one of the best stations in Memphis about not running infomercials, but now they're one of the worst! I guess corporate greed took over there. >

  3. #43

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Yakima, WA
    Posts
    10,226

    Re: most infuriating! pre-emptions by local stations

    I heard that WREG had one of the biggest broadcast movie libraries in America. It would be great to fill those 5 hours of infomercials up with two or three movies, new or old.

    -crainbebo
    782 AM's in the log, 663 FMs (250 from Western WA), That's a DXer!
    FM, AM and SW DXer of Yakima, WA! God Bless America!
    Last New FM Log: KATW-101.5 Lewiston ID, 6/25/19
    Last New AM Log: 1570 WFRL Freeport IL, 3/3/19

  4. #44

    Re: most infuriating! pre-emptions by local stations

    There was an article in the Memphis paper back in the 1970s that said WREG had more films than any other station in the U.S. It said they had 1500 movies while WHBQ had 500 and WMC had 100.

    At the time, WREG showed movies from 10:30 pm to 6 am Monday thru Saturday and from 10:30 pm to 2 am on Sunday nights. WHBQ showed a movie every morning and 2 or 3 over the weekend while WMC showed one film a week on Saturday night at Midnight. This was before WPTY signed on in 1978.

  5. #45

    Re: most infuriating! pre-emptions by local stations

    I thought of another situation, this one involving Cincinnati's WKRC Channel 12, then the ABC affiliate, in the early 1970s.
    During the 1969-1970 season, WKRC didn't air Here Come the Brides on Friday nights. I don't remember what was on instead. HCTB aired, not the next day, but the following Saturday afternoon, eight days later.
    During the 1971-1972 season, WKRC didn't show The Brady Bunch on Friday nights, replacing it with a local version of Bowling for Dollars. TBB aired the following Tuesday at 7:30 p.m.
    During 1973? 1974?, WKRC played over all closing credits (remember those?) of prime time programming. The credits were shown, but some generic instrumental music was played instead. I've NEVER figured that one out!

  6. #46

    Re: most infuriating! pre-emptions by local stations

    Quote Originally Posted by skippercollector
    During 1973? 1974?, WKRC played over all closing credits (remember those?) of prime time programming. The credits were shown, but some generic instrumental music was played instead. I've NEVER figured that one out!
    Usually when a station is pre-empting an upcoming network program (usually the next program), they would mute out the audio, usually with the station announcer pitching the next program. Did WKRC have an announcer talk over the music, or did they just play the music? Also, was it for all programs, or only those that had the network announcer announcing a program pre-empted by WKRC?

  7. #47

    Re: most infuriating! pre-emptions by local stations

    Quote Originally Posted by briancraig
    There was an article in the Memphis paper back in the 1970s that said WREG had more films than any other station in the U.S. It said they had 1500 movies while WHBQ had 500 and WMC had 100.
    At the time, WREG showed movies from 10:30 pm to 6 am Monday thru Saturday and from 10:30 pm to 2 am on Sunday nights. WHBQ showed a movie every morning and 2 or 3 over the weekend while WMC showed one film a week on Saturday night at Midnight. This was before WPTY signed on in 1978.
    Did they ever get a call from Elvis back in those days? ;D

  8. #48

    Re: most infuriating! pre-emptions by local stations

    Quote Originally Posted by azumanga
    Quote Originally Posted by skippercollector
    During 1973? 1974?, WKRC played over all closing credits (remember those?) of prime time programming. The credits were shown, but some generic instrumental music was played instead. I've NEVER figured that one out!
    Usually when a station is pre-empting an upcoming network program (usually the next program), they would mute out the audio, usually with the station announcer pitching the next program. Did WKRC have an announcer talk over the music, or did they just play the music? Also, was it for all programs, or only those that had the network announcer announcing a program pre-empted by WKRC?
    This is true. However, I have noticed that in recent years, they are making it harder for the local affils to do things like that, by intertwining actual programming with the closing credits, while also putting something onscreen about the upcoming program, etc. They also seem to like having a program end a minute late, or starting one a minute early, anything to make it tougher for the affils to cover up the fact that they are pre-empting network programming.

    Of course, some of this could just be so that they could squeeze in one or two more commercials somewhere during the program. :

  9. #49

    to firepoint

    It was ALL the prime time programming. And it wasn't an announcer speaking about an upcoming program or even an advertisement. It was just generic instrumental music!

  10. #50

    Re: most infuriating! pre-emptions by local stations

    My local CBS affilate used to delay CBS late night by 30 mins to air an episode of "Mama's Family" following the news. The NBC affiliate used to air a "Cheers" right after "The Tonight Show" delaying Letterman.

    Most recently the local CBS affiliate pre-empted Survivor (the episode where Brandon goes balistic) to air SEC basketball. even though they have 2 subchannels they could use. CBS programming didn't come on until 1:37 and few people knew where to find it. The same station moves CBS to a subchannel when they have two games on at the same time, but they won't do it for prime time.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

     
Useful Contacts
Community


123