Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: most infuriating! pre-emptions by local stations

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

most infuriating! pre-emptions by local stations

Do your local affiliates still do this?
    In Cincinnati in the 1970s, WLWT (the NBC affiliate) used to pre-empt prime-time programming in the spring, summer and fall to air out-of-town Cincinnati Reds games or to air an old movie instead of the movie NBC had. I was SOOOO glad when the cable stations started airing the games instead in the 1980s!
    For the past few decades (at least since the 1990s), WCPO (which was the CBS affiliate until 1994, when it became the ABC affiliate) has periodically pre-empted its programming for either University of Cincinnati basketball games on Saturday nights, or for charity or fund-raising programs. WCPO was notorious for pre-empting Dr. Quinn in the 1990s and Ugly Betty in the 2000s. Last week it was Last Resort.
    Then, of course, there are the doomsday meteorologists who are EVERYWHERE all the time when more than 2 inches of snow is predicted or there is a tornado watch. I've learned to read a book on those nights.
    I've noticed over the years that, much of the time, the shows that go pre-empted are more popular with female than male viewers.
    Do your stations still do this?
    I realize that much of what I have just written is a moot point for 2013, because there are other ways to watch your favorite programs rather than just when they are supposed to be airing. But this situation was infuriating to me for many decades before we all had those other opportunities.

FreddyE1977

Re: most infuriating! pre-emptions by local stations

Was not really an issue for me in Pittsburgh because a) I generally preferred the Pirates game to whatever
    CBS program might normally run on KDKA at that time (the Pittsburgh Pirates, despite entering their third
    decade of futility, continue to have some of the highest local TV ratings in Major League Baseball), and
    b) I lived high enough on the hill that it was a simple matter for me to tune to WTRF-7 out of Wheeling, WV
    or WKBN-27 from Youngstown, Ohio to watch CBS programming.

It wasn't a big issue in Boston either. Red Sox games moved to WSBK TV 38, an independent, in 1975. Once that was done more games were televised. (Yeah!!) The southern portion of the market could get the Rhode Island stations in case of preemptions. Unfortunately for the north the two stations that came in the best were WMUR and WMTW, both ABC affiliates.

Quote Originally Posted by MCarney
    It wasn't a big issue in Boston either. Red Sox games moved to WSBK TV 38, an independent, in 1975. Once that was done more games were televised. (Yeah!!) The southern portion of the market could get the Rhode Island stations in case of preemptions. Unfortunately for the north the two stations that came in the best were WMUR and WMTW, both ABC affiliates.
    Much like in Cleveland in 1980, when they moved from the CBS affiliate to the local independent. They had been showing 40 games for years, but immediately jumped to 70.

Pre-emptions in the Binghamton, NY market are fairly rare these days but I do remember WBNG-TV 12 pre-empted "WKRP In Cincinnati" for the entirety of its final season. In its place they ran a god-awful variety show titled "The Palace" or something like that. The show was seriously bad.

Quote Originally Posted by FreddyE1977
    Was not really an issue for me in Pittsburgh because a) I generally preferred the Pirates game to whatever
    CBS program might normally run on KDKA at that time (the Pittsburgh Pirates, despite entering their third
    decade of futility, continue to have some of the highest local TV ratings in Major League Baseball), and
    b) I lived high enough on the hill that it was a simple matter for me to tune to WTRF-7 out of Wheeling, WV
    What about WTAJ-10 from Altoona-Johnstown?

DaveArnold

WBTV -Charlotte,NC back in the 1970's had many pre-emptions of CBS programming.
    Sometimes would run the show a few days later @ 1:00am.
    I recall many Top 10 CBS programs were handled this way.

Quote Originally Posted by FreddyE1977
    That was feasible because, apparently, neither WTRF nor WKBN carried Pirates games. In skippercollector's case, though, back in times of old, despite the OTA availability of Dayton's WLWD/WDTN (channel 2) in Cincinnati for NBC as an alternative to WLWT, for much of that time WLWD was co-owned with WLWT, and had the Reds game simulcasted along with channel 5. For him to get NBC in spite of that would have required him to pull in Indianapolis' WFBM/WRTV (channel 6) or Louisville's WAVE (channel 3); in Indy the Reds were carried by WLWI, channel 13, an ABC affil and another of the Crosley/AVCO stations, so WFBM would have been his best bet. High hills wouldn't have been enough, though, to work; he would have needed a high-gain and tall stick on top of his place to even get a rimshot signal of either WFBM or WAVE.

To explain further why WLWT preempted so much NBC before Multimedia took over in the late Seventies: Pittsburgh and Cincinnati have a lot of similarities besides just being on the Ohio River and surrounded by high hills. They were, in days past, heavily ethnic cities (Eastern Europeans in Pittsburgh, Germans in Cincinnati) where drinking beer, masculine camraderie, and sports fanship were not just pastimes, but a way of life. Those cities were also small enough to have a strong civic unanimity about one particular sport over others; in Pittsburgh, it tended to be the football Steelers (baseball Pirates before 1970), and in Cincinnati, it was and still is the baseball Reds.

Point being, if Freddy says that the Pirates were (and are) so big a draw in western Pennsylvania, the Reds were even more so in southern Ohio, northern Kentucky and eastern Indiana. skippercollector would have been seen as strange, possibly, by his friends if he had made it known that he preferred network programming to Reds games. The WLW network made so much money off the AVCO mini-network to Dayton, Columbus, and Indy over the years that, if you liked NBC's daytime shows or summer primetime in those places, it was, to put it delicately, tough (expletive). Unlike today, local culture often trumped the cosmopolitan preferences that skippercollector presumably had. The Reds were to the Tri-State what chili and spaghetti, goetta sausage, and German Gothic architecture were: parts of the Cincinnati cultural landscape that outsiders thought strange, but that were fiercely defended by locals.

Other examples of that can be found, especially in the South where college football is king in states like Alabama and Mississippi and basketball in states like Kentucky and North Carolina.

Having the Reds or UC basketball pre-empt network programming was never an issue for me in those years because if the baseball or basketball game wasn't being televised, I wouldn't be watching TV. There was a time before those years, when UC basketball was televised on WLW-T and WCPO-TV. That, of course, pre-empted network programming on those channels on those nights.

On a slightly-different tangent, I felt slightly ticked as a young teen in 1983 when WTVT in Tampa Bay pre-empted an all-new Peanuts special, "Is This Goodbye, Charlie Brown?" for, of all things, a "Three's Company" rerun.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast