• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

ABC Split question

Re: ABC Split question/MCNEIL-GODFREY

Some East Coast station got permission to hold Godfrey to 1010am so that it didn't run head to head with Don McNeil. It didn't make sense to me why with so little network programming left in the early 60's that CBS wanted to run their last long form daytime show against ABC's last long form daytime show. I guess you could count House Party as long form but I think it was down to 20min by then and it was mostly an edited version of the tv show.

CBS mostly insisted on stations clearing shows as fed. WJR had been a long time CBS affiliate and dropped the network in the late 50s over the network's clearance requirements (which conflicted with the station's desire to go more live and local). In the early 60s, after Cap Cities acquired WJR, the station re-signed with CBS in deal based on more money for WJR and WJR being allowed to bump Godfrey to afternoons in favor of a local classical music appreciation program. Of course, another factor was Lowell Thomas, one of Cap Cities founders and owners, whose evening news broadcast was carried on CBS.

I have a copy of the last show somewhere, and McNeill's show (It was called "The Don McNeill Show" by then but was always at least informally known as "The Breakfast Club") was about 50 minutes. I guess he did the entire show dispite its being preempted partially on the east coast, for the west coast time delay. I don't remember him referring to the spaceshot on the show (though it has been a while since I've listened to it).
Joe

He didn't mention it because the last show was actually pretaped a few days earlier (it might have been as long as a week earlier I think).

There are two versions of the last "Breakfast Club" I have found on the net. One from WLS-FM, which aired the full hour and had Paul Harvey News at the half hour. The other recording from KFOX-Los Angeles has just the last half of the program (and an ABC Entertainment newscast by Art Van Horn).

Does anyone know if Pacific/Mountain affiliates aired "Breakfast Club" or the extended newscasts live? Or did ABC allow them to tape delay the longer form programs?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom