Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has there ever been a channel 37 station?

Has there ever been a channel 37 station?

Do any of you guys know if there had ever been any channel 37 stations? According to Wikipedia it was taken out because of the space program or something of that nature. Could it have used like channels 70 and above?

Re: Has there ever been a channel 37 station?

Channel 37 has never been used by any over-the-air television station in Canada or the United States.

However, a channel 37 application in Baker, OR, did get by the FCC and a construction permit was issued for station K37AA in 1983. It was canceled a year later.

The FCC lists 34 applications for channel 37, including seven digital. All except the above have status Facility Void. The most recent attempt was by Catholic Television Apostolate, who requested a original construction permit for a digital station on channel 37 in Sioux Falls, SD, in April 2010. It was dismissed by the FCC two months later.
    Dave

facebook.com/david.hettesheimer

So what you're saying is, OTA Ch. 37 is the Area 57 of broadcasting?
    "We are just voices in the air, but we make radio alive". - Dr. Johnny Fever

cd637299

Stop!

While it is likely true that US & Canada have not had a 37, there are at least two analog UHF channel 37's operating on this earth, and both clearly say so:

WIN TV in Trinidad and Tobago, and
    CDN 37 in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic*

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Channel_37 (I know....FWIW)

Not that I care for them personally, but both should be available online to view.

*I looked at www.wwitv.com just now, and I now only see CDN 67--so maybe CDN has moved off.

cd

Quote Originally Posted by therealjm12
    So what you're saying is, OTA Ch. 37 is the Area 57 of broadcasting?
    I think you mean Area 51.

Bob1370

Channel 37 is in use in Europe (it's actually roughly the same frequenxcy, but a few megahertz lower). It's the principal channel for the British "Channel 5" national network, one of five major national broadcast networks.

But nowhere is it being used in North America (Canada, the US and Mexico) because scientists use the frequency for aerospace research and radioastronomy.

Quote Originally Posted by cd637299
    Stop!

While it is likely true that US & Canada have not had a 37, there are at least two analog UHF channel 37's operating on this earth, and both clearly say so:

WIN TV in Trinidad and Tobago, and
    CDN 37 in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic*
    I believe there are some stations in the Phillippines, which uses NTSC-M like the US, that broadcast on channel 37.

And I believe there are some stations in Japan that broadcast on channel 36, which is equivalent to channel 37 in the US; Japan uses NTSC and the same UHF frequencies as System M, but the numbering begins with channel 13, which is the same as our channel 14.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob1370
    Channel 37 is in use in Europe (it's actually roughly the same frequenxcy, but a few megahertz lower). It's the principal channel for the British "Channel 5" national network, one of five major national broadcast networks.
    Though it's probably a moot point now, as the UK had recently converted its conversion to digital.

Quote Originally Posted by edward1978
    Do any of you guys know if there had ever been any channel 37 stations? According to Wikipedia it was taken out because of the space program or something of that nature. Could it have used like channels 70 and above?
    Channel 37 is and always will be reserved for radio astronomy purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by dhett
    However, a channel 37 application in Baker, OR, did get by the FCC and a construction permit was issued for station K37AA in 1983. It was canceled a year later.
    The Baker, OR, application did "get by" the FCC because the FCC had a ch. 37 allocation for Baker.
    http://www.americanradiohistory.com/...-1954-1955.pdf

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast