• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Any history on WSRZ-FM (Sarasota) as CHR "Z-106"?

David Jones replaced me "Downtown" Wade Brown/Doug Dixon in 1988... I played the first song on Z106 and was the Production Director, Asst. PD, PD, Operations Manager and Chief Operating Officer all within the first 3 years of operation. Hank "the shank" was a hard man to work for....

Chris560, just to get the facts straight----Scott was not the mastermind behind the Z! Bobby Wayne and Myself were the first PD/Asst. PD on Z106. Hank "The Shank" Kestenbaum was the GM. I played the first song on Z106 at 12:01AM and moved to afternoons the next day. Bobby Wayne did mid-days and I followed him on afternoons, a girl named Valerie did 7pm-Midnight.. I was later named COO/OM/PD and had to let Valerie go because she refused to attend staff meetings, I then hired Scott "Suntan" Chase to do 7pm to midnight and later named him Music Director. Blake Thomas was doing mornings and Vic Rossi was hired to do mid-days after Bobby Wayne left. David Jones replaced me after I was bush wacked by Hank "the shank" and moved to Dayton OH to take over Z93 the number 1 CHR in Dayton, OH at that time. Z106 was my Baby from the time we put it on the air in 1986 until the time I was fired in 1988 and David Jones took over the helm on afternoons. I have never since received a 31 share nor I'm sure has Scott "Suntan" Chase reached the kind of numbers we enjoyed during the Original days of the Z. It was a fun time on Sarasota Bay! Lots of Work, but lots of fun as well.

David Jones replaced me "Downtown" Wade Brown/Doug Dixon in 1988 and did afternoons to the best of my knowledge from that time on. He never worked overnights, He started his radio career doing afternoons with a 31 share to work with, I moved over to do mornings on 1450 WSPB for a short while with Harpoon Howie doing sports and Dave Belmondo handling news duties. Good radio show, but not liked by Hank "the shank". I remained as COO/OM and PD of both properties until late '88, but was soon thereafter let go and returned to Dayton/Cincinnati markets to finish my illustrious career working at Z93 in Dayton, WOFX in Cincinnati, WEBN in Cincinnati, WYGY in Cincinnati and finally WGRR in Cincinnati before retiring from radio in 2012.. What a long strange trip it was and I don't regret a minute of it. well maybe a minute but not more LOL by the way, David Jones was one of the better moves Hank made while in Sarasota!

I started working at City Island in high school when the FM simulcast the AM and was WSPB-FM. "1450 on the AM dial and 106.3 on the FM, this is CBS Radio, WSPB AM & FM, Sarasota" I was there when we bought the old 102.5 WYAK tower that was on 5th street just west of Central Avenue downtown and moved to City Island to get the FM higher. Up until them the FM was side mounted on the original 160ft AM tower at the edge of the bay. I worked with the Chief Engineer, Jerry McGougan. A great guy.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom