• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What do you think you could get if you were...

In North Platte, NE and tuned to 1060 kHz? (day and night)

Thought we could try this game where people can post what they would guess would come in on a certain frequency at a certain location. Of course if anyone has actually DXed from the location, then post what you could get there. Then every couple of days or so, someone can post a new frequency and location for others to guess what would come in there.

I'm guessing 1060 in North Platte, NE during the day would bring in KNLV from Ord, NE with a fair signal during the day and at night likely a mix of KNLV, KDYL, perhaps KYW and KRCN.

Guessing CKMX with perhaps KNLV, KRCN or Mexico. Too far W for KYW.

-crainbebo

crainbebo said:
Guessing CKMX with perhaps KNLV, KRCN or Mexico. Too far W for KYW.

-crainbebo

I'm guessing that KYW would make at least an occasional appearance there. They send a lot of signal to the west/northwest.

A pal of mine reports getting KYW in Hawaii.

(Poster R. Fry would know the bearing from Philly to Honolulu ; just a thumbnail estimate from me, a non-techie, says the beam would miss Nebraska).

Would the Cuban or Mexican station that never IDs (and which gives KYW fits even here in PA) make it to Nebraska at night?

A copy of the "NRC AM Antenna Pattern Book" would be very handy for playing this game ;) .

CKMX would not make it to Northe Platte. At sunset they send their signal north and west...none to the south and east. Before the sunset they still wouldn't make it that far south east.

mimo said:
CKMX would not make it to Northe Platte. At sunset they send their signal north and west...none to the south and east. Before the sunset they still wouldn't make it that far south east.

CKMX BLASTS into Washington State. I loved driving all night and listening to them during their alternative rock format in the early '90s (they were the ONLY station you could hear almost rock solid from Seattle to Spokane.)

Steve Green NEPA said:
A pal of mine reports getting KYW in Hawaii.(Poster R. Fry would know the bearing from Philly to Honolulu ; just a thumbnail estimate from me, a non-techie, says the beam would miss Nebraska).

The bearing of a great circle path from PHL to HNL is about N282E; path length is ~4900 miles. KYW radiates a little more power on that bearing with their directional pattern than they would with 50 kW non-D.

The path crosses the width of Nebraska, entering its eastern border about 15 miles north of Omaha.

How about the next one?

710 khz in Great Bend, KS

I'd expect a mixture of weak stations, in that area, it's a "null" channel, as KGNC, KIRO, KNUS have nulls to KS at night. What do you think?

-crainbebo

crainbebo said:
How about the next one?

710 khz in Great Bend, KS

I'd expect a mixture of weak stations, in that area, it's a "null" channel, as KGNC, KIRO, KNUS have nulls to KS at night. What do you think?

-crainbebo

KCMO would dominate (what looks like a little minor lobe in its night pattern to the west is equivalent to about 800 watts right at Great Bend from a modest distance.

After that, the reverberating sound of all those Rebeldes from all over Cuba on 710.

Round 2...

710 khz in Great Bend, Kansas

Doesn't pretty much everyone null 710 here in this area? I'd expect a mish-mash of maybe KCMO, KGNC, but all in tight nulls. Maybe Cuba.

-crainbebo

FCC skywave prediction curves and databases used for applications are surprisingly predictive of what skywave stations you can hear at a given location. Except for times around sunrise and sunset, STAs, and stations not using the correct day or night power and pattern, you can pretty much count on the 50% RSS and even 25% RSS contributors being there on a fairly regular basis. Theory and practice are very close in this case.

I would expect KCMO to be the dominant signal also as Great Bend doesn't appear directly in the SW nighttime null. I wonder if WOR could ever sneak in there maybe mixed with the other 710s and the Cubans? Are there any Mexican 710s that could come in there?

Next one...

780 kHz in Rapid City, SD

During the day, likely nothing but at night perhaps a mix of WBBM and KKOH. At critical hours, WJAG/Norfolk, NE should show up.

WBBM is probably the best possibility. WJAG is likely at sunrise or sunset however. I think KKOH nulls GOOD that way...

-crainbebo

Interesting thread....I like it!

I'll speak from experience for Rapid City. I was there about six months ago. All WBBM.

I don't know if I'm "breaking the rules" by going back to the other two. For the first one, I'd expect XEEP to be in the mix, if not on top....assuming they're still on the air. For the second one, I'd go with KGNC.

cyberdad said:

I'll speak from experience for Rapid City. I was there about six months ago. All WBBM.

I don't know if I'm "breaking the rules" by going back to the other two. For the first one, I'd expect XEEP to be in the mix, if not on top....assuming they're still on the air. For the second one, I'd go with KGNC.

Thanks for the report and nope not breaking the rules at all by mentioning the previous 2 ;D

I wonder at what locations one would have to be in in order to hear both WBBM and KKOH at the same time?

Buckeyes2001 said:
cyberdad said:

Thanks for the report and nope not breaking the rules at all by mentioning the previous 2 ;D

I wonder at what locations one would have to be in in order to hear both WBBM and KKOH at the same time?

I'll bet that you can hear both occasionally in Hawaii, but I know that's not the answer you were looking for. ;D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom