• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Does your local Variety Hits station play recent/current music?

carolinaradio

Star Participant
I was just wondering, since it's rare to find any two "variety" stations that sound exactly alike - does your local Variety Hits station play much music past the 2000s, or any current music? I guess it varies by the needs of the market, but the one in my market (97.7 Chuck FM) focuses on 70s and 80s classic hits, and plays maybe 1 post-00 song every 4-6 hours or so, no currents. Stands to reason, since we have 2 AC-based stations and no classic hits. 101.7 Chuck FM in down in Charleston has a similar approach, I believe (different owners, but both stations sound extremely similar). Most of the post-2000 songs played are tracks that were popular on AC stations.

98.7 Simon in Greensboro/Winston-Salem, NC plays some current hits, but puts them on the back burner to mostly 70s/80s classics, like Chuck FM in Greenville/Charleston.

One of my favorites in the format, KYVN in Napa, plays a significant amount of pop and AAA currents along with the traditional 70s-80s-90s tracks.

Bob-FM in Austin plays some recent/current music a little too much in my opinion. When Adele comes on, I turn the radio off!

If I wanted to hear current music I would turn the knob down to KHFI.

Another one...96.5 Bob-FM in Fayetteville, NC plays some current stuff, but plays a fantastic variety going way back in to the 60s.

Fuzion 100.1 FM Selma/Montgomery plays all kinds of music from the 50s to the present.

This radio station is all over the map, musically speaking.

To learn more about them visit; www.fuzion100.com.

You can even listen to them from their site.

R.D.P. <><

I hear "Sex on Fire" by Kings of Leon on my local Jack-FM station (KJAQ/96.5 Seattle). I think that's 2008.

-crainbebo

When we had "93.7 Mike FM" and the most Recent "101.7 The Harbor" when we had them, yes, they playd, but only 3% of Current Soft AC music.
93% were Classic Rock
While the 7% were Soft AC and Oldschool Hip Hop
Both stations here in Boston were like that

My local Jack FM station (KJKK 100.3) has played some recent items in addition to its current playlist:

- "Some Nights" by Fun
- Everything Adele
- "Pumped Up Kicks" by Foster the People
- "Use Somebody" by Kings of Leon
- Just the Way You Are" by Bruno Mars
- "The Dog Days are Over" by Florence + The Machine

The closest thing West Michigan has to Variety Hits (FM106.5 [WVFM]) played the brand new Bon Jovi song last weekend and then played Yesterday by the Beatles a little over an hour later.

The term "variety hits" really is not used here in Nashville, but 97.1, when Cumulus owned them, during one of their many format tweaks as a supposedly "classic hits" station, played "Rock and Roll" by Eric Hutchinson, which meant that they were really venturing over into AAA territory at that time, because I remember also hearing it on our AAA station back in 2008:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bm5TZX5hz3g

WDRC-FM 102.9 of Hartford dumped out of Charlie Tuna doing the station IDs and liners, yet retained his syndicated 70s music show on Sunday evenings. Soon afterwards, they radically changed their playlist and added a bunch of songs from the 1990s, which did NOT go over with many people in the Hartford/New Britain/Middletown radio market, including me. A bunch of those songs already play on Clear Channel-owned WHCN-FM 105.9 (The River 105.9). A few months before them, WCCC-FM 106.9 of Hartford trashed their hard rock direction and played more mainstream rock stuff, watering down what little they had and simply calling themselves Rock 106.9.

Do any of these 80s/90s/Current stations have notably larger playlists than others? I know Variety Hits stations tend to have larger playlists, and that larger playlists DOESN'T mean a better station, I'm just curious for my own listening pleasure.

98.7 Simon in Greensboro, NC plays everything, but it mostly sounds old. If there are current hits, I don't happen to be listening when they are on.

105.7 Bob FM in Yakima likes to spin stuff like "Dark Horse" Katy Perry/Juicy J (even the rap, really?!) and some Lady Gaga stuff along with the 80s/90s. They are more soft rock than adult hits because Yakima has no AC - only Tri Cities.
96.5 KJAQ was spinning "Sex on Fire" Kings of Leon (2008) not too long ago.

-crainbebo

They are more soft rock than adult hits...

The "adult hits" format name approved by Nielsen is not a descriptor of musical genres. It is used to define stations that play a broad range of music from four or even five decades. Some Jack-like stations are more pop, and others are more rock leaning but they share the commonality of representing a spectrum of music that is a mile wide and an inch deep.

Another Nielsen descriptor, "Spanish Adult Hits" covers stations that do not play any rock at all.

WDRC-FM 102.9 of Hartford dumped out of Charlie Tuna doing the station IDs and liners, yet retained his syndicated 70s music show on Sunday evenings. Soon afterwards, they radically changed their playlist and added a bunch of songs from the 1990s, which did NOT go over with many people in the Hartford/New Britain/Middletown radio market, including me. A bunch of those songs already play on Clear Channel-owned WHCN-FM 105.9 (The River 105.9). A few months before them, WCCC-FM 106.9 of Hartford trashed their hard rock direction and played more mainstream rock stuff, watering down what little they had and simply calling themselves Rock 106.9.

To my ears, it seems that DRC-FM has dropped many of the '90s titles they rushed into the rotation last year. Maybe one '90s song an hour now, some hours none at all. The focus is almost exclusively '70s/'80s, with a '60s hit dropped in near the bottom of every other hour. WCCC-FM is classic rock now, no current content. Hartford and New Haven have never had anything close to a "Jack"-style variety hits station.

How about 2000s music on classic-hits formats, does that count? Not a "variety", per se, but it sounds like it when you have '70s/'80s backing up to mid-'00s. A prime example would be 95.3/100.5 "The Beach" in San Luis Obispo, California.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom