• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

So it's happening: SalSoul is moving

thathoustonradiogeek

Frequent Participant
http://www.salsoul.com

I remember asking Señor Gleason about a construction permit I read about at Radio Locator.com

I've forgotten how many years ago that was, but, it's now a done deal.

Since this only affects the San Juan Metro I assume the new transmitter (if any) is far away enough from WKJB-FM WUKQ-FM's transmitter (at Monte del Estado?) I know there are 2 other FMs in PR sharing the same frequency, one in the Mayaguez area, the other in Luquillo.

So, How long was WPRM at 98.5?

The other station that are moving are Adventist WZOL-FM from 98.9 in Vieques to 98.3 in Las Piedras, in order to cover San Juan better.

And on the West Coast, WIDI in Quebradillas is moving from 98.3 to 99.5. It rebroadcasts WOYE's 80's and 90's station, Magic 97.3, and will reach all the way to the South Coast from its new Monte del Estado location.

thathoustonradiogeek said:
http://www.salsoul.com

I remember asking Señor Gleason about a construction permit I read about at Radio Locator.com

I've forgotten how many years ago that was, but, it's now a done deal.

Since this only affects the San Juan Metro I assume the new transmitter (if any) is far away enough from WKJB-FM WUKQ-FM's transmitter (at Monte del Estado?) I know there are 2 other FMs in PR sharing the same frequency, one in the Mayaguez area, the other in Luquillo.

So, How long was WPRM at 98.5?

This was part of a lengthy attempt to move Carlos Colon (Q.e.P.D.) station from Vieques to Las Piedras with a site that covers San Juan. To do so, other stations had to move including Arzuaga's Quebradillas station which goes to Monte del Estado with full west Island coverage. The FCC can mandate global frequency moves if added service is provided by the move.

There were quite a few objections filed, based on Colon's less than perfect engineering statements (one case "helicopter readings" were proven false as no helicopter in PR had been rented the dates of the supposed readings), as well as the thinly disguised efforts to locate the transmitter so most of the signal went over San Juan and the proposed COL had severe shadowing.

The original filings for this move date back to the 80's.

Salsoul in San Juan has always been on 98.5 from the time it changed from Radio Tiempo (Which went on the air in the late 50's from a small tower in Puerta de Tierra on 98.5) to that name in 1978. It later added WIVA and WRIO to form a network, and from 1985 to 2007 it was the #1 radio operation in Puerto Rico... the longest stay at #1 of any Top 50 market FM anywhere in the US, ever.

WPRM stood, originally, for Puerto Rico Music, a background music service on the sub-carrier. When don Jesús Soto bought WPRM in the mid-70's for $75,000 he later sold the background service to the Acosta family of WFID; when the Soto's bought WFID about 20 years later, they reacquired the background music service.

Identnut said:
The other station that are moving are Adventist WZOL-FM from 98.9 in Vieques to 98.3 in Las Piedras, in order to cover San Juan better.

And on the West Coast, WIDI in Quebradillas is moving from 98.3 to 99.5. It rebroadcasts WOYE's 80's and 90's station, Magic 97.3, and will reach all the way to the South Coast from its new Monte del Estado location.

WUKQ moves to 98.7 from 99.1 to maintain minimum separation from the new WPRM frequency.

John

You have an incredibly nice layout for your blog, i want it to utilize on my site also . afeeeakagfdbfeeg

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom