• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Ross on Radio Speculates on Two Additional Formats For 94.7

TheBigA said:
DavidEduardo said:
Many good AM talkers, like KSL and WWL and WOVK and WSB have added FM and found large increases in the sales demos.

What's the average for Cumulus talkers? Like KABC, WABC, WMAL, and WBAP?

That's the other side of the coin. Some of the FM talk simulcasts have not done all that well. WMAL immediately comes to mind.
A "content" initiative does not necessarily mean talk. Music is content too. I'm not convinced it will be a talker. I still think country is a likely choice given it's ability to flank WPLJ. Also, don't forget WFAS-FM...I'm thinking that will somehow play into the overall "cluster" strategy as well.

luperm said:
I still think country is a likely choice given it's ability to flank WPLJ.

Except that when WYNY was at 103.5, it was one of the lowest billers in town. And in other big cities where country gets good ratings, like Boston or Chicago, it bills less than some lower rated formats.

TheBigA said:
luperm said:
I still think country is a likely choice given it's ability to flank WPLJ.

Except that when WYNY was at 103.5, it was one of the lowest billers in town. And in other big cities where country gets good ratings, like Boston or Chicago, it bills less than some lower rated formats.

This. I think given the format holes for just NY here, Country could out rank alternative actually in listeners, but Alternative would out bill country. I know some people feel there isn't a bias anymore, but I would side with there is.

TheBigA said:

In Chicago, WUSN is the market's 5th highest biller, and 3rd highest FM (after Spanish language WOJO and Hot AC WTMX. It has a power ratio of 1.1.

Boston is the opposite... WKLB has a power ratio of 0.5 and is 13th in billing, despite being 3rd or 4th in 12+

"what better way to make a splash with Country to ad agencies nationally than to redebut it in New York?"

What if you build it and they don't come?

NY agencies aren't looking for a country platform. And a NYC clear isn't important to country advertisers.

TheBigA said:
"what better way to make a splash with Country to ad agencies nationally than to redebut it in New York?"

NY agencies aren't looking for a country platform. And a NYC clear isn't important to country advertisers.

I agree with you that the agencies aren't likely seeking out a country platform. However... clearance in Market Number One is ALWAYS a plus.

reelyreal said:
However... clearance in Market Number One is ALWAYS a plus.

Not if you get a 2 share. So you're billing less than you would in a hotter format, and you're getting less than average numbers. What's the upside? Filling a format hole? That really only works if one of the other stations in your cluster is doing the heavy lifting.

reelyreal said:
TheBigA said:

I agree with you that the agencies aren't likely seeking out a country platform. However... clearance in Market Number One is ALWAYS a plus.

Why would having this station in NY matter to other markets? So you're saying if they put the format on in NY they could potentially bill higher in say, Chicago? How does that work?

TheBigA said:
And a NYC clear isn't important to country advertisers.

depends. if it's a network, as speculated, then an nyc clear means quite a lot. if it's a local station, then no, it doesn't matter a bit.

to whoever suggested that cumulus would pay attention to what cc did with kogo in san diego...don't believe that for a second. if they're going to do talk on 94.7, which is doubtful, it's not going to matter what happens in san diego, or dallas or dc, for that matter.

it'll be either country or some sort of rock format. rock is about the only format that cumulus does well on their own.

marconis gallbladder said:
TheBigA said:
And a NYC clear isn't important to country advertisers.

depends. if it's a network, as speculated, then an nyc clear means quite a lot. if it's a local station, then no, it doesn't matter a bit.

to whoever suggested that cumulus would pay attention to what cc did with kogo in san diego...don't believe that for a second. if they're going to do talk on 94.7, which is doubtful, it's not going to matter what happens in san diego, or dallas or dc, for that matter.

it'll be either country or some sort of rock format. rock is about the only format that cumulus does well on their own.

I agree. That to me is the only way launching a country station in NY makes sense to me.

This is all starting to come together now. Perhaps the national country format is the "key content initiative" that the CEO mentioned previously.

While I would be very glad if there is a country station in New York, I am skeptical that the flagship of a national country network would be based in a city that is not known as a center of country music.
I would expect a flagship country station to be located in a place such as Nashville, where there are many country artists available to drop by the studios.

Barry said:
While I would be very glad if there is a country station in New York, I am skeptical that the flagship of a national country network would be based in a city that is not known as a center of country music.
I would expect a flagship country station to be located in a place such as Nashville, where there are many country artists available to drop by the studios.

Could it be possible that NYC is the flagship for the "brand," while the NYC station is programmed a bit more locally? Just a thought.

Barry said:

Nobody ever said anything about NYC being a "flagship" for this network. That was never stated in the article.

ansky212 said:
Nobody ever said anything about NYC being a "flagship" for this network. That was never stated in the article.

Not in THAT article, but as referenced earlier, here's what Lew Dickey said:

Barry said:
Earlier this month, Cumulus CEO Lew Dickey stated, according to InsideRadio, that 94.7 will serve as “a flagship for one of our key content initiatives.”

I doubt he's going to put the flagship of a service he calls NashCountry or NashRadio in any city other than Nash-ville.

That means another format initiative, one that would be more NY-centric.

TheBigA said:
I doubt he's going to put the flagship of a service he calls NashCountry or NashRadio in any city other than Nash-ville.

That means another format initiative, one that would be more NY-centric.

The way I see it, "Nash" is just a brand name for country. Since its a national satellite service I don't see how anyone would know the difference whether they have studios in Nashville or anywhere else, or why it would even matter. They could interview guests in Nashville remotely from NYC. Does Cumulus even have a station in Nashville that could flip to this national format?

To me a "content initiative" still seems more likely to describe a talk format. If a radio station or network is providing original content, it is generally talk, as recorded music is widely available to all.
And a more NY-Centric network, could be either a WABC FM, or an extension of the brand featuring some of the new Cumulus hires, ie. Michael Savage (whose show does not have a home yet in NYC) and Mike Huckabee (whose program is aired time-delayed on WABC).
And yes, Cumulus has a very successful station in Nashville, WSM FM.

ansky212 said:
Does Cumulus even have a station in Nashville that could flip to this national format?

They have TWO of them, both top rated: WSM-FM and WKDF-FM.

As I said, more likely to use Nashville as a flagship for country initiative, and NYC as flagship for rock or CHR.

TheBigA said:
ansky212 said:
Does Cumulus even have a station in Nashville that could flip to this national format?

They have TWO of them, both top rated: WSM-FM and WKDF-FM.

As I said, more likely to use Nashville as a flagship for country initiative, and NYC as flagship for rock or CHR.

But its not like NYC is a rock town, nor can I imagine a 4th CHR station entering the market.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom