• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WEVD 1330 New York

Schroedingers Cat said:
The listing by frequency shows WJLK 1310 Asbury Park, NJ as 250 watts Class IV. Later it was 1000/250. It looks like there was no where else to go from 1310. Moving to 1340 would have created a lot of overlap with 1330 New York, particularly from Staten Island. Anyone know more about the history?

There was a three-way time-share on 1310 in New Jersey. I believe that each of the three stations (Asbury Park, Trenton, and Camden) ran 500W-ST ND. AFAIK, all three stations were Class III, though there might have been a letter suffix in the class designation. I think the FCC broke up the time-share sometime in the '40s. Asbury Park and Camden initially became Class IV full-timers on the Class III 1310 channel. As has already been pointed out, there were several precedents for Class IV operation on Class III channels. Trenton became a daytimer on the adjacent Class III channel, 1300. IIRC, all three stations began their new lives running 250W for whatever hours they operated (U for Asbury Park and Camden, D for Trenton). Eventually, Camden became a Class B with only one facility change. When Class IVs were allowed 1 kW-D, it increased its day power but it never increased its night power from 250W. It remains 1 kW-D/250W-N ND-U but is now Class B (250W now being a bona fide power for Class Bs). IIRC, Asbury Park got out of Class IV by going directional (DA-2, IIRC). I believe that it increased power a couple of times but I don't remember the sequence of power increases. After it moved to 1300, Trenton was initially an anomaly because its 250W power was not allowed for Class III-D stations (i.e. those that operated on regional channels) even though the same power was allowed for Class II-D stations (i.e. those that operated on Class I and IB channels). Trenton eventually resolved its dilemma both by going directional and also by increasing its power (I think it runs 5 kW-D but I don't remember the night power).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom