• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WFAN-FM...

reelyreal said:
98.7 is still owned by Emmis and LMA'd to Disney. Disney has no day-to-day involvement with Cumulus.

Per the data I have, Emmis was a minority partner in the Merlin deal. The LMA and sale to Disney is by Merlin, with Emmis as a shareholder.

About the only dealings Cumulus has with Disney is the "licensing" of certain trademarks, including signature call letters shared with Disney owned TV properties.

Marckd said:
CBS will very unlikely put their sports programming on a competitor.

Cumulus and CBS have a joint venture in the CBS Sports network that starts up soon. Cumulus would not do a deal with ESPN now, as that would compete with their own CBS / Cumulus sports net.

DavidEduardo said:
reelyreal said:
98.7 is still owned by Emmis and LMA'd to Disney. Disney has no day-to-day involvement with Cumulus.

Per the data I have, Emmis was a minority partner in the Merlin deal. The LMA and sale to Disney is by Merlin, with Emmis as a shareholder.

About the only dealings Cumulus has with Disney is the "licensing" of certain trademarks, including signature call letters shared with Disney owned TV properties.

David, Merlin didn't ever have anything to do with WRKS/98.7 per the information I've seen. Merlin purchased 101.9 with Emmis holding a stake in Merlin. WEPN-FM and WQHT are still both wholly owned by Emmis, through different holding companies.

reelyreal said:
David, Merlin didn't ever have anything to do with WRKS/98.7 per the information I've seen.

Sorry. My bad for having 101.9 on my mind. Having worked for Emmis, I should have paid more attention.

So far, I'm enjoying the audio play-by-play of the Brooklyn Nets games on 101.9. I've even muted the TV. Unfortunately, there's a 2-second delay between the radio and the TV. Good thing I had 101.9 for the first Brooklyn Nets game during the blackout.

Rollo-Smokes said:
Rollo-Smokes said:
...got started at 11:57 PM with Steve Somers and Suzyn Waldman re-enacting the opening of the FAN from 25 years ago; Suzyn did the top-of-the-hour ID.
I'm not too much of a rock music person, so someone will fill-in as to what the last song on WRXP was.
Though for the uneducated, they mentioned that WFAN started at 660 AM. Most of us know it was at 1050, but that's just a technicality.
And the truly educated among us remember 1050 as the address of the old WHN.

stationless listener said:
So far, I'm enjoying the audio play-by-play of the Brooklyn Nets games on 101.9. I've even muted the TV. Unfortunately, there's a 2-second delay between the radio and the TV. Good thing I had 101.9 for the first Brooklyn Nets game during the blackout.
I have a TiVo connected to a radio and I delay one or the other to help bypass the digital buffers and satellite delays to sync the audio with the video for Bucs/Bolts/Rays games.

The delay changes between home and away games.

Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!

jfrancispastirchak said:
Rollo-Smokes said:
Rollo-Smokes said:
...got started at 11:57 PM with Steve Somers and Suzyn Waldman re-enacting the opening of the FAN from 25 years ago; Suzyn did the top-of-the-hour ID.
I'm not too much of a rock music person, so someone will fill-in as to what the last song on WRXP was.
Though for the uneducated, they mentioned that WFAN started at 660 AM. Most of us know it was at 1050, but that's just a technicality.
And the truly educated among us remember 1050 as the address of the old WHN.

I still have a WFAN 1050 T-shirt I won during the station's first year. Sadly, it no longer fits.

You know what sucks the way the FM processing is set up now? Can't hear some callers. Try it. When a "low" caller is on, tune back to 660 and hear the difference.

Agree with you...seems the overall "volume" is lower on 101.9. It's kinda similar to the internet feed but without the digital artifacts.

As alluded to in an earlier post, when bouncing back and forth between the stations during the Steelers-Giants broadcast late Sunday afternoon, it was remarkably quiet on the FM feed (little to no background sounds from the field mikes and the crowd), whereas the AM feed was much more alive with the full complement of sound. I wouldn't be surprised if the AM feed is more compressed; I'll leave that to the experts here to decide.

One thing I noticed when listening to a recent Marc Malusis show was that I confirmed that Marc and/or his board op(s) over-modulate and/or over-compress his microphone; there's quite a bit of distortion underneath his dulcet tones (such as they are). In the past I thought that maybe it was just a light night AM-only type thing, but sure enough I heard the same mess on the FM side.

They've now linked up the FM and AM feeds to where they're simultaneous; the first day or so there was a slight difference of less than one second. As of this posting there is no HD on 101.9 and 660 (the AM HD has been on and off since Sandy; sister station and co-tower tenant WCBS-AM is in HD).

PS While he corrected himself eventually, a couple of times FAN overnighter Tony Paige gave out the new frequency as "101 FM", which is great if he's trying to get his company's classic hits sister station to overtake LiteFM in the overall rankings.

WNTIRadio said:
You know what sucks the way the FM processing is set up now? Can't hear some callers. Try it. When a "low" caller is on, tune back to 660 and hear the difference.
They have to adjust it. Give them a chance. It isn't as easy as moving a few knobs.

Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!

Has there been a date set for the end of the simulcast and the switch of the AM to birdfeed? 'FAN regularly shows up in the Hartford-New Britain Arbs, and can be heard day and night right up into the Boston area. I wonder how many of those listeners will stick around for generic national sports talk. But then, I guess out-of-market listeners matter less than ever in the face of the broadcast industry's eagerness to get off the AM band.

CTListener said:
But then, I guess out-of-market listeners matter less than ever in the face of the broadcast industry's eagerness to get off the AM band.

From the sales perspective, it has been many many decades since listenership outside the home metro has made any difference.

The AM is definitely compressed more than the FM. Different transmission medium demands different processes, crossovers, compression ratios etc.

The FM could benefit from a little more compression.

Also, there's an odd subsonic rumble below Francessa... not making a joke here, it sounds like the subsonic rumble that was under Jabba the Hutt. I know, I've teed up about 50 fat/Francessa the Hutt jokes, but that rumble is there on the FM. It may be on the AM, but the roll off of most radios at 80Hz means you would never hear it. Most AM processors roll off at 50Hz, and can be adjusted higher since too much LF just wastes electricity.

When I finally got 105.3 The Fan CBS Radio Dallas dialed in to sound correct. The processing was more towards CHR than talk. I was going bonkers trying to get the phone callas the same level as the Talent. Ultimately I ended up with a modified CHR preset which works real well without the artifacts...

The Dallas choke network is legendary for being BAD. Levels vary +/- 20 between each line. Even using the the new Nx12 Telos with the Dallas firmware was difficult to match levels. But with the Compellor and the final processor things worked out well.

I started with a Hot AC preset for one of my talk stations. Works well, "fattens up" the voice talent and levels out the different sources.

What I've found is pay no attention to what the label is on the preset... start with what sounds best to you and then tweak S L O W L Y and log your changes and/or save each version so you can always undo anything.

Talk on FM is a challenge due to the wider bandwidth. In AM you can get away with a ton of clipping because the second harmonic distortion falls outside the passband of both the NRSC mask and more likely, the receiver. Getting the voice both full, loud and clean on FM requires careful tweaking.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom