• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Portable radio recommendations

hi all,
i'm a newbie, so please door forgive me for errors:
i'm visually impaired, and am looking at pocket radios.
I was looking at the Tecsun PL-310et
is this a good radio?
I need a FM dxing monster am, shortwave and long wave is just a plus :)
does anyone have experience with this radio?
are there better pocket radios than this?
what hidden features are in this radio? ones that are not listed on the manual?
how far can this radio pickup transmissions on fm mainly reseption for other bands would also be useful to know.
could it say pickup a station from 50 miles away?
how long do the batteries last?
I don't want a unit that has overloading on it
I live in coventry, u.k
and hi to my fello visually impared radio lovvers!

thanks for your help!
Majid

Welcome to the board, Majid....

I'm afraid I probably can't be of much help. But the other guys here surely can. The two best multi-band portables I've ever owned have long since been discontinued. The Grundig Yacht Boy PE-300 and the Realistic DX-375. You may still be able to find one of either of these on Ebay. The Realistic was made by Sangean, and may have been sold under another name outside of North America. The DX-375 does not have longwave, but the Yacht Boy does.

I'm currently using a Sangean ATS-505 for multi-band purposes. It has longwave, and also a BFO function for listening to sideband transmissions. It's a decent radio, but not in the same class as the Yacht Boy and DX-375. I also own an Eaton E-10, which is I'd rate as "fair" at best.

Undoubtedly you'll find some better suggestions. Good luck with your search.

.....Cyberdad (also known as "Jack")

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom