Too Much Country, Rock and Gospel (?) formatting... and no real SOUL! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Too Much Country, Rock and Gospel (?) formatting... and no real SOUL!

Re: Too Much Country, Rock and Gospel (?) formatting... and no real SOUL!

I believe you mean Little Walt (deceased). His son, a minister owns WJPI-AM (formerly WPLY-AM/5KW Plymouth, NC.) WJPI is dark.

Willie Omar (about 5'10" or 11") is alive and kicking.... when he got out of radio he open up a pretty decent health store selling health products for years in the Williamston (Walmart) Shopping Center, but he closed his store a couple of years ago after WALMART moved to their new location near the new Route 64 to the Outer Banks. Great highway! The center dried up. During his operation, he was commuting to and from Virginia Beach where he was still living, at least the last time I saw him when he dropped by by WOOW Radio about 2 years ago... He was looking trimm, fit and healthy. I solicited him often when I selling advertising for Johnny Bryant's AM/FM Combo Southern Gospel Music stations (which he recently upgraded, moved and sold a couple of years after I left ARCHWAY (that's another story).

And speaking of Johnny, I ran into him here in Greenville not long ago... He sold his horses, but he seems to be doing well also.

Here is a note of interest. Some of you may have known William Clark who was Jim Rouse's General Manager at WOOW-Greenville. William succombed to a heart attack, I believe it was around October 27th. He is missed. He was 67.

Finally, anybody who can run a computer and "talk" could talk up a pretty good soul music program based on the information listed here about Gladys Knight and the Pips. Glancing at these kind of file patterns showing the Label Sequence, Chart Info (Rhythm "n" Blues = RB and Billboard = BB), Year, the titled ALBUM in UPPER CASE and some cases Album, Album Version and Cut and Side Location, i.e., Heard it Through The Grapevine (A4_1967 PP) extracted from of my American Soul database while either prepping your show or conducting your show live could give you a lot to "chat" about. I apologize for the following information being somewhat out of alignment here on my post since I imported it from Excel. It's even more comprehensive with my other "standard" printouts depending on what your programming needs are (next time I will work on the formatting).

In the mean time... being a Broadcaster is a passion and that's why I have worked just on refining my database alone for well-more then a decade just in case I somehow get back behind the "mic" again, or better yet program a station. Recorded music is a programming aid that's an effective media vehicle, so while some DJs just collect records, I decided long ago to collect data on records. I suppose that's just the professional in me. Maybe I believe it plays an important part in radio programming. I know one thing, having sold a lots of radio, lousy [music] programming is hard to sell on radio (unless it's lousy talk).

I hope you find the following information useful and something to start talking about:

• Artist/Group Label Sequence Title Year
      Gladys Knight & The Pips [1] (VEE JAY) Every Beat Of My Heart (BB 06)(RB 01)1961 [VJ Label introduced BEATLES to the USA]
      Gladys Knight & The Pips [2] (FURY BELL ?) Operator (1962) (BB 97) 1962
      Gladys Knight & The Pips [2] (FURY BELL ?) Lover's Always Forgive (PP) 1963
      Gladys Knight & The Pips [2] (FURY BELL ?) Letter Full Of Tears (1962) (BB 19) (RB 03) 1963
      Gladys Knight & The Pips [2] (FURY BELL ?) Stop And Get A Hold Of Myself (1963 PP) 1963
      Gladys Knight & The Pips [2] (FURY BELL ?) Giving Up (1964 Version) (BB 34) (RB 06) 1964
      Gladys Knight & The Pips [3] (SOUL) Either Way Lose (1964) (BB 119) 1964
      Gladys Knight & The Pips [2] (FURY BELL ?) Stop And Get A Hold Of Myself (Van McCoy Composition) 1965
      Gladys Knight & The Pips [3] (SOUL) Ain't No Sun Since You've Been Gone (A6_1967) 1967
      Gladys Knight & The Pips [3] (SOUL) Heard it Through The Grapevine (A4_1967 PP) 1967
      Gladys Knight & The Pips [3] (SOUL) He's my Kind of Fellow (Album Vers B2_1967) 1967
      Gladys Knight & The Pips [3] (SOUL) I'll be Standing By (A2_1967) 1967
      Gladys Knight & The Pips [3] (SOUL) It's Time To Go Now [EVERYBODY NEEDS LOVE] 1967
      Gladys Knight & The Pips [3] (SOUL) My Bed of Thorns (Album Vers B4_1967 PP) 1967
      Gladys Knight & The Pips [3] (SOUL) Since I Lost You (A3_1967 PP) 1967
      Gladys Knight & The Pips [3] (SOUL) Take Me In Your Arms And Love Me (B1_1967 PP) 1967
      Gladys Knight & The Pips [3] (SOUL) Yes I'm Ready (Album Vers B3_1967) [Barbara Mason's Hit] 1967
      Gladys Knight & The Pips [3] (SOUL) You Don't Love Me No More (A5_1967 PP) 1967
      Gladys Knight & The Pips [3] (SOUL) Do You Love Me Just A Little Honey (Album Vers) 1967
      Gladys Knight & The Pips [3] (SOUL) Everybody Needs Love (1967)(BB 39) (RB 03) 1967
      Gladys Knight & The Pips [3] (SOUL) I Heard It Through The Grapevine [EVERYBODY NEEDS LOVE](BB 02) (RB 01) 1967
      Gladys Knight & The Pips [3] (SOUL) Just Walk In My Shoes [EVERYBODY NEEDS LOVE] (1966) (BB 129) 1967
      Gladys Knight & The Pips [3] (SOUL) Ain't You Glad You Chose Love (1968) 1968
      Gladys Knight & The Pips [3] (SOUL) Every Little Bit Hurts [SILK N' SOUL] [BRENDA HOLLOWAY'S HIT] 1968
      Gladys Knight & The Pips [3] (SOUL) I Know Better (1968 PP) 1968
      Gladys Knight & The Pips [3] (SOUL) It's Time To Go Now [slightly longer] (1968 PP) 1968
      Gladys Knight & The Pips [3] (SOUL) That's The Way Love Is (1968 PP) 1968
      Gladys Knight & The Pips [3] (SOUL) What Good Am I Without You (1968) 1968
      Gladys Knight & The Pips [3] (SOUL) Your Old Stand By (1968 PP) 1968
      Gladys Knight & The Pips [3] (SOUL) Boy From Crosstown (1968 PP) 1968
      Gladys Knight & The Pips [3] (SOUL) Don't Let Her Take Your Love From Me (1968 PP) 1968
      Gladys Knight & The Pips [3] (SOUL) Don't Turn Me Away (1968 PP) 1968
      Gladys Knight & The Pips [3] (SOUL) End of Our Road (Single Version 1968 PP) 1968
      Gladys Knight & The Pips [3] (SOUL) I Wish It Would Rain[SILK N' SOUL](BB 41)(RB 15)1968
      Gladys Knight & The Pips [3] (SOUL) It Should Have Been Me (1968 PP) (BB 40) 1968
      Gladys Knight & The Pips [3] (SOUL) It Should Have Been Me [FEELIN' BLUSEY] (1968) (BB 40)(RB 09) 1968
      Gladys Knight & The Pips [3] (SOUL) The End Of Our Road [FEELIN' BLUSEY] (BB 15) (RB 05) 1968
      Gladys Knight & The Pips [3] (SOUL) Didn't You Know You Have To Cry Sometime [NITTY GRITTY](BB 63) (RB 11) 1969
      Gladys Knight & The Pips [3] (SOUL) Friendship Train [GREATEST HITS] (BB 17) (RB 02) 1969
      Gladys Knight & The Pips [3] (SOUL) The Nitty Gritty (TITLE TRACK 1969) (BB 19) (RB 02) 1969
      Gladys Knight & The Pips [3] (SOUL) A Letter Full Of Tears (1970 Newer Version PP) 1970
      Gladys Knight & The Pips [3] (SOUL) Every Beat Of My Heart (1970 Version PP) 1970
      Gladys Knight & The Pips [3] (SOUL) Giving Up (1970 Version PP) 1970
      Gladys Knight & The Pips [3] (SOUL) If I Were Your Woman [TITLE TRACK](BB 09) (RB 01) 1970
      Gladys Knight & The Pips [3] (SOUL) You Need Love Like I Do (Don't You 1970) [GREATEST HITS] (BB 25) (RB 03) 1970
      Gladys Knight & The Pips [3] (SOUL) I Don't Want To Do Wrong [IF I WERE YOUR WOMAN] (1971) (BB 17) (RB 02) 1971
      Gladys Knight & The Pips [3] (SOUL) Help Me Make It Through The Night [DOLLY PARTON HIT][STANDING OVATION] (1972) (BB 33) (RB 03)[/b] 1972
      Gladys Knight & The Pips [3] (SOUL) Make Me The Woman That You Go Home To [STANDING OVATION] (1972) (BB 27) (RB 03) 1972
      Gladys Knight & The Pips [3] (SOUL) Neither One Of Us (TITLE TRACK Wants To Be The First To Say Goodbye] (BB 02)(RB 01) 1972
      Gladys Knight & The Pips [3] (SOUL) Daddy Could Swear, I Declare [NEITHER ONE OF US] (BB 19) (RB 02) 1973
      Gladys Knight & The Pips [4] (BUDAH) All I Need Is Time [TITLE TRACK] (1973) (BB 61) (RB 28) 1973
      Gladys Knight & The Pips [4] (BUDAH) Best Thing That Ever Happen To Me (BB 03) 1973
      Gladys Knight & The Pips [4] (BUDAH) Here I Am Again [ALL I NEED IS TIME] (1973 PP) 1973
      Gladys Knight & The Pips [4] (BUDAH) I've Got To Use My Imagination (1973 PP)(BB 04) 1973
      Gladys Knight & The Pips [4] (BUDAH) Midnight Train To Georgia (THE LOST LIVE ALBUM)(BB 01) 1973
      Gladys Knight & The Pips [4] (BUDAH) Who Is She And What Is She To You (1973) Rec by BILL WTHERS 1973
      Gladys Knight & The Pips [4] (BUDAH) Between Her Goodbye And My Hello [KNIGHT TIME] (1974)(BB 57)(RB 45) 1974
      Gladys Knight & The Pips [4] (BUDAH) Make Yours A Happy Home (CLAUDINE OST 1977) (RB 13) 1976
      Gladys Knight & The Pips [4] (BUDAH) Try to Remember & The Way We Were (1976 PP) [BARBARS STRIESAND HIT}(BB 11) 1976
      Gladys Knight & The Pips [4] (BUDAH) Love Is Always On Your Mind (Disco Version 1977 PP) 1977
      Gladys Knight & The Pips [4] (BUDAH) You Put New Life In My Body (1977) 1977
      Gladys Knight & The Pips [5] (COLUMBIA) Bourgie, Bourgie (ABOUT LOVE 1980 PP) (RB 45) 1980
      Gladys Knight & The Pips [5] (COLUMBIA) Landlord (ABOUT LOVE 1980) (BB 46) (RB 03) 1980
      Gladys Knight & The Pips [5] (COLUMBIA) Still Such A Thing (ABOUT LOVE 1980) 1980
      Gladys Knight & The Pips [5] (COLUMBIA) Taste Of Bitter Love (ABOUT LOVE 1980 PP) (RB 38) 1980
      Gladys Knight & The Pips [5] (COLUMBIA) A Friend Of Mine (TOUCH 1981) (RB 50) 1981
      Gladys Knight & The Pips [5] (COLUMBIA) I Will Fight (TOUCH 1981) (RB 21) 1981
      Gladys Knight & The Pips [5] (COLUMBIA) Ain't No Greater Love 1983
      Gladys Knight & The Pips [5] (COLUMBIA) Hero (Wind Beneath Our Feet 1983 PP) (VISIONS) (BB 123) (RB 64) 1983
      Gladys Knight & The Pips [5] (COLUMBIA) Save The Overtime For Me (1983) [VISIONS] (BB 63) (RB 01) 1983
      Gladys Knight & The Pips [5] (COLUMBIA) When You're Far Away (VISIONS 1983 PP) (RB 42) 1983
      Gladys Knight & The Pips [5] (COLUMBIA) You're Number One In My Book (1983) (RB 05) 1983
      Gladys Knight & The Pips [5] (COLUMBIA) I Heard It Through The Grapevine (Live Roxy 85) 1985
      Gladys Knight & The Pips [5] (COLUMBIA) Keep Giving Me Love (1985 PP) 1985
      Gladys Knight & The Pips [5] (COLUMBIA) Medley (Live At The Roxy 1985) 1985
      Gladys Knight & The Pips [5] (COLUMBIA) Midnight Train To Georgia (LIVE AT THE ROXY 85) 1985
      Gladys Knight & The Pips [5] (COLUMBIA) My Time (LIFE 1985 PP) (BB 102) (RB 16) 1985
      Gladys Knight & The Pips [6] (MCA) Love Overboard (1988) (BB 13) (RB 01) 1988
      Gladys Knight Men (TITLE TRACK 1991) (RB 02) 1991

Nonetheless, it has been a passionate undertaking.... I just so glad I don't have to compete with my "peers;" unless of course competition could make things better or shall we say in regards to RADIO BROADCASTING.... more proactive!

NOT POP SOUL... BUT DEEP SOUL! AMERICAN SOUL...!

Softjamms...

WCPS 760AM/105.7 tarboro does this kind of format in the afternoons

Nobody's mentioned WNCT-AM 1070! It's out of Greenville!

http://1070wnct.com/

WCPS is a small 500 Watt AM station, which does not have a highly serviceable signal in eastern NC, primarily services the Rocky Mount-Tarboro Market with a translator and a format which "day-parts or block programs" a mixture of Rhythm & Blues, Southern Soul, Traditional and Contemporary Gospel and very few "commercial" jazz recordings.

I also doubt if they have more than 80 selections of Gladys Knight and the Pip songs in their individual “collections.” Additionally, there are no specific 'on-air' imaging parameters for defining their station such as Oldies 'this,’ Rockthat,’ or Soulthe other’ or even in more specific terms like ‘Classical Music.’ For instance, when formatting and imaging Classic Top 40 Radio, the most popular music usually follows the news and/or information programming.

Secondly, WCPS DJ's randomly play music from their own individual collection of CDs or Audio Wave Files with some software "assistance" and not from a station library, and not from a well structured database for programming music, but; you can still view this effort as being somewhat a progressive or freeform approach to music programming. If a Special Programming event required or even demanded focusing a 'spotlight' on the aforementioned group for some special occasion, show, tribute or for some other special selling event, the radio station which possesses a well defined "image" along with some level of comprehensive programming could get started at the click of the button. After all this is 2012 A.D., and as I read Jimmy Steal who is the VP of Programming for Emmis Broadcasting has 22,000 songs in his database and broadcast library and can probably do this for Emmis to cover any event they may have (see www.radioinfo.com/2012/11/13/part-of-a-rhythm-nation/#more-3849). For the past 20 years the database and lists I have been developing and defining Soul music with doesn't lag that far behind. You see Soul music programming is not only just playing Soul records on the radio, but as I view it, it is also a science. I suppose my programming efforts are not that unusual. (TIP: Steal is using ITUNES. I started with MUSICMATCH and migrated to Media Monkey and for music automation I have been using Ots Software for a number of years).

And thirdly, I live in Greenville. WNCT-FM (OLDIES 107.9) positions themselves as an Oldies Music station with a more recent focus on programming more popular R&B and Soul music hits in addition to Motown. In my opinion it OK, but it is a fairly shallow list of soul music hits. By comparison however, if you like to listen to Beach Music , more of a music phenomena, you would be more than accomodated (this includes AM, as well). When it comes to listeners who really like Soul music, it's lacking. If you are going to "promote" Natalie Cole.... play Natalie Cole! I mean with all the hits the Intruders have produced…. how many times can you play “Cowboys to Girls?” Nonetheless, even on this discussion board WNCT-FM programming has been criticized for "stepping up" and playing the “SOUL FIX AT SIX” and to be fair... WNCT-FM is a general market station. You can only do so much...

Softjamms….

:-*NOT JUST POP SOUL…. BUT DEEP SOUL!!! AMERICAN SOUL….!

Quote Originally Posted by Softjamms
    And thirdly, I live in Greenville. WNCT-FM (OLDIES 107.9) positions themselves as an Oldies Music station with a more recent focus on programming more popular R&B and Soul music hits in addition to Motown. In my opinion it OK, but it is a fairly shallow list of soul music hits. By comparison however, if you like to listen to Beach Music , more of a music phenomena, you would be more than accommodated (this includes AM, as well). When it comes to listeners who really like Soul music, it's lacking. If you are going to "promote" Natalie Cole.... play Natalie Cole! I mean with all the hits the Intruders have produced…. how many times can you play “Cowboys to Girls?” Nonetheless, even on this discussion board WNCT-FM programming has been criticized for "stepping up" and playing the “SOUL FIX AT SIX” and to be fair... WNCT-FM is a general market station. You can only do so much...
    So how does WNCT-AM fall short in your opinion?

Thereotically, if I put my billion dollar a year consumer audience here in Eastern North Carolina up against with their audience... who would win??? Could a Adult Oriented Soul Station in this market have better ratings and could their advertisiers get more "smack" for their advertising dollar. Sounds more like good business to me. Did the Soul Music Radio Groups like Rollins Radio, the Spiedle Group, Katz Radio or The OK Group [by the way William Buckley, Jr. was a co-owner, so in essence he signed my paychecks] fall short? These companies made money and I saw it, it was only politically their voices where "squelched" which ultimately led to their demise. Black Radio has suffered ever since. Those listeners abandoned as an audience have continued to develop, and it's really about going after that audience that could generate revenue (and even more economic activity). As a psychographic dynamic this audience is not acknowledged. They are sanitized and treated as a general market audience. Phooey! I hate to bring up my experiences but when I sold KAUM-FM, an ABC O&O in Houston years ago... we sold psychographics, i.e., waterbeds, organic foods, wines, and jeans. We also sold banks, department stores, new cars.... and Head Shops. I had to convince advertisers who were very bias, that people with long hair had money to spend and were worth investing in.

In eastern North Carlina, Beach music is a regional phenomena. I estimate that between both stations about 70 hours/week is devoted towards Beach Music programming. Frankly, it's over played. How much money does it make? Has the audience been researched or effectively validated as a money making market? Is it, or can it really being used as advertising vehicle to generate profit in a general market enviroment? Most of it is passive. Special market programming with emphasis would equate to a better strategy. As a matter of fact, Beach music programming would probably be better positioned inside of a Soul Musc Format. And since we are talking about WNCT-AM in the same breath, why not flip-flop formats with WNCT-FM and see what happens.... Move the AM to FM, and vice-versa, the FM to AM... I dare the owners to do that! Would you do it??? Or on the other hand, hypothetically speaking, would you rather pair regionally, a potential AM Soul Music "giant" with; and totally unleash the programming dynamic of a regional FM Oldies Music Powerhouse? It's their money. More than once I have sold AM/FM Country & Soul Music Combos. Would AM Soul and FM Oldies be a better "combo," and possibly a better and more enduring move???

"Caa-Ching..$!" ;D

Softjamms...

NOT JUST POP SOUL....! BUT DEEP SOUL! AMERICAN SOUL (i.e., the cow and the milk)!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12