• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WCTN now Oldies

WCTN will be oldies until someone brokers the time and it'll be gone. Do you hear any LOCAL commercials on it with the oldies? If you don't, thats a BAD sign.

Unfortunately, that seems to be the case.

I think that some of these marginal outlets such as 'CTN should seriously consider going to either a non-commercial operation or a hybrid (combination donations and revenue) for revenue. A station like WBZH Pottstown PA is a good example. Another consideration would be to have various high schools run such an operation. Allow students to hone their skills on such stations.

I assure you that WCTN is not using a satellite feed for the oldies that are now on the station. However, you are right - it is just filler until another broker comes along.

Here is the caveat - there are no brokers to be found, so I'd expect the music to be there for an extended period of time.

Now, if I could just get that processing working :-\

Is the old owner of WAMS running this station? That was his stunt. Oldies, then Gospel, then back to oldies. Very unprofessional.

jhguthlac said:
Is the old owner of WAMS running this station? That was his stunt. Oldies, then Gospel, then back to oldies. Very unprofessional.

I doubt it. Even so, the powers-that-be should either get serious or get rid of the station.

No - a doctor in New York owns it, along with WNYH on Long Island.

klutch00 said>>Even so, the powers-that-be should either get serious or get rid of the station<<

It isn't that simple. The man paid 4 million for a station that is probably worth about 500K today. Even if it were run "correctly". I feel bad for the guy. He simply bought both stations at the wrong time.

I have to agree with you roth. He bought them at the wrong time. Any time after 1970 was the wrong time.

roth said:
No - a doctor in New York owns it, along with WNYH on Long Island.

klutch00 said>>Even so, the powers-that-be should either get serious or get rid of the station<<

It isn't that simple. The man paid 4 million for a station that is probably worth about 500K today. Even if it were run "correctly". I feel bad for the guy. He simply bought both stations at the wrong time.
There's NO reason why some of these stations including WCTN should have been going for anywhere near the money that they were....EVER!!

4 years later ..... the station has been doing automated variety hits now for some time. The station does have a FM translator at 94.3, covering the Rockville/Potomac area.

4 years later ..... the station has been doing automated variety hits now for some time. The station does have a FM translator at 94.3, covering the Rockville/Potomac area.

So much for the translator, in the FCC application they conveniently forgot to include that co-channel WOWD-LP exists. After a few years of WOWD-LP rightfully complaining the FCC has ordered the translator off.

Besides WOWD-LP, there were reports that the WCTN translator was interfering with WWFD's co-channel translator and, sure enough, driving up Alt 40 to Braddock Heights a month ago, WCTN's now-cancelled translator came in loud and clear not a mile and a half from the W232DG tower. Granted, W232DG has a tight pattern, but the Potomac translator is 30+ miles away. Even factoring in the height, that was some generous coverage for WCTN's FM. Perhaps WOWD should apply for the Potomac translator/booster facility.

That does seem to happen in religious radio. One ministry is still going strong decades after their speaker passed away.

At one station I worked he bought an hour during the afternoon. They paid on time, so dollars weren't an issue. They didn't stay on long. Another station in town gave him all their unsold hours for a certain dollar figure a month (this station sold time by the hour to anybody wanting a show).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom