• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Embarassing KYW promo spot on pancreatic cancer

On Monday in the 6pm hour, I heard a female-voiced KYW spot/promo for some sort of event regarding pancreatic cancer awareness.

I heard the woman say, "come meet 'Susie Sways,' wife of "Patrick Sways." I was completely dumbfounded that 1) this person did not know how to pronounce Swayze; AND 2) that KYW allowed the spot to air is such an embarassing fashion.

Are such ill-informed people really given and maintaining jobs in a major market radio station in 2012? I know a LOT of people who darned well know the difference between "Sways" and "Swayze" who sure would love a chance to take a job from a moron such as this!

That's a sad commentary on these times, I'm afraid. I'm seeing it more and more in the printed media as well. It seems not a day goes by that I'll read something in my newspaper and have to say to myself, "Doesn't anybody proofread these things anymore?"

I heard the woman say, "come meet

Are such ill-informed people really given and maintaining jobs in a major market radio station in 2012? I know a LOT of people who darned well know the difference between "Sways" and "Swayze" who sure would love a chance to take a job from a moron such as this!
[/quote]

Yes....yes they are. It's a sad commentary on greed. Radio has always been it's own worst enemy, as evidenced by their response to satellite radio. HD radio...cue cricket chirping sound effect. Rather than investing and being more diverse, they cater to the lowest common denominator and try to suck every last dime out of failing long-term model.

That is the American business model, you pay the smallest amount possible to get the most work done, milk the business for all you can and not put anything back into the business,all the while, offering the public a product of inferior quality. They then wonder why the public doesn't bite.

Reminds me of something I heard MANY years ago when WRCP was Philadelphia's country station and country hadn't become 'mainstream'. At the time David Frizell (pronounced Friz-Elle), brother of legendary country singer Lefty Frizell, was having country hits. I heard a parttimer on RCP talk up his record "here's David...(silence up to the vocal)" (chickened out of trying to guess the name). When the song ended, the jock went boldly for it in the outro. "That was David FRIZZLE on WRCP!" Nothing shows a phony like mispronouncing the name of a generally known person!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom