• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WGST just flipped (flopped)

LoungeLizard2

New Participating Member
As of the end of Rush's last show on WGST today (9/28/2012 - 2:58pm by my clock), the station is now playing ESPN Deportes.

I has a sad....

I was wondering if they would at least get through the night and do one last Coast to Coast show, but now is as good a time as any to flip.

Yes - there goes the pre-set. At least WSB is on iHeartRadio now. I guess I can find another CC talker that plays Coast, or I can DX 1510 or 1100 after power down.

Just CC at its best, they have destroyed Atlanta radio like Sherman destroyed the city. It really is sad what WGST was reduced to, they should have stayed at 920 all along.

Wow. First no real top 40 for multiple years, then oldies and alternative rock get destroyed to work on top 40, and now no station carrying Coast to Coast am? What in the world is going on here?

LoungeLizard2 said:
Yes - there goes the pre-set. At least WSB is on iHeartRadio now. I guess I can find another CC talker that plays Coast, or I can DX 1510 or 1100 after power down.

I started looking into this last night. WDUN does Coast...102.9....and I have it saved on the TuneIn app.

It's the new paradigm in radio - micro casting. The suits at CC are broadcasting to single units now.

But you must admit - at least the suspense and irony of Atl. radio at the moment is something to keep people guessing, hoping, and wondering. Unlike many other markets, the Atlanta board is very active and something to watch now!

Just find it funny how all these changes coincidentally all happen at once. Atl. market is so fascinating sometimes.

I'm not one to believe in coincidences, several of these flips had to be coordinated. Rush going to WSB, Rusty not extending his contract, Beck to WGKA, Dave to The Game, Project to The Bone, the Q Top 20.... all of these seem to have some insider trading to at least keep the big names paid well and advertisers playing along. I know we should be a major sports town, but I just don't see four sports/talk stations.

CC thinks they have a winning combo with El Patron and ESPN Deportes. I just want a local talker that has a good news presence and interesting variety shows. Shouldn't be so hard to achieve. It's done in almost every other major market down to #25. It just doesnt happen here in Atlanta.

Not much variety in the talk shows here, I'm afraid.

I'm actually surprised WGST didn't go all news to compete with AN1067. But, I imagine they'd loose listeners that way, as well. Just a hunch.

Is there a demand in Atlanta for AM sports talk in Spanish? CC usually leaps before looking, instead of evolving, they devolve their properties. I don't think this format will work.

fussbudget said:
Is there a demand in Atlanta for AM sports talk in Spanish? CC usually leaps before looking, instead of evolving, they devolve their properties. I don't think this format will work.

Well there is a huge Hispanic population, but I don't know, wish they would have at least put oldies on this freq, is that too much to ask???????

ExNuYawker said:
Keith Kalland must be pissed off up there in heaven!!!
Stick a fork in WGST, it's done.

LoungeLizard2 said:
CC thinks they have a winning combo with El Patron and ESPN Deportes.

No hablo espanol muy bien pero I was listening to Deportes and they were cross-promoting El Patron very heavily. Every other phrase seemed to be "cien cinco punto tres!" Watch CC flip Patron to an FM side for Deportes now that WGST is gone. ::) ::) ::)

LoungeLizard2 said:
I know we should be a major sports town, but I just don't see four sports/talk stations.
790 is a goner. And when that happens, Georgia Tech PBP will move to 92.9 exclusively (and end the simul on AN106.7).

And Deportes will make the Building of Death long for the days of Planet Radio.

agentUrge said:
I'm actually surprised WGST didn't go all news to compete with AN1067. B
I thought about that, but if WGST thought competing with WSB in news/talk was hard...canned news would get killed by AN106.7 and WSB would eat the scraps. Especially during the upcoming winter drivetime.

They could have fixed the programming simply by emulating KFI640 -many of the same programs, but a whole other universe in terms of results. CC is great about cloning stations except when they should. Oh well.

WSB is too personality-driven (until they all retire) to ever go all news and WGST no longer had the resources or signal. That 106.7 is actually putting out a great product was probably the nail in the coffin.

Whatever the format, GST's biggest problem is that not enough people can hear it. Deportes will not change that. I don't expect this new format to work. Other than the Buford highway corridor, the major areas of Hispanic listeners are mostly free of the 640 signal. Flip it and sell it ASAP.

jabba17 said:
agentUrge said:
I'm actually surprised WGST didn't go all news to compete with AN1067. B
I thought about that, but if WGST thought competing with WSB in news/talk was hard...canned news would get killed by AN106.7 and WSB would eat the scraps. Especially during the upcoming winter drivetime.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom