KGA 1510
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KGA 1510

KGA 1510

Since KGA downgraded their nighttime signal from 50kw to 10kw. Could they move back to 50kw at night, or is it too late?

Re: KGA 1510

Quote Originally Posted by e-dawg
    Since KGA downgraded their nighttime signal from 50kw to 10kw. Could they move back to 50kw at night, or is it too late?
    They can't go back to their former Class A facility. They surrendered class A status (which provides protection from interference to a station's skywave coverage) when they downgraded. As a class B facility, it's possible KGA could power back up; class B signals can run up to 50 kW at night now as well...but KGA would now have to protect other 1510s from interference, and would have to comply with the arcane "ratcheting rules" that prevent a lot of useful AM upgrades. In practice, its new class B 50 kW signal, if it's possible at all, would be so intensely directional as to be a practical downgrade from the current 10 kW at night.
    All kinds of good stuff over at http://www.fybush.com

If they had unlimited funds, the best thing to do would be to move the transmitter site and start over. Maybe even go back to two sites for 790 & 1510. Too many compromises and serious mistakes made in the current setup.

Didn't they reduce their nighttime power to allow 1510 KSFN Piedmont CA to better cover the San Francisco market at night?

How could they return to 50,000 watts and still give KSFN decent coverage of the Bay Area?

How could they return to 50,000 watts and still give KSFN decent coverage of the Bay Area?
    All explained in the previous posts.

Need a completly new tower arrangement. Current one won't work.
    Would be very directional.
    Cost a lot of $$$

KGA still puts in a healthy signal in Puget Sound at night, though nowhere near that marauding wave they used to be. They had such a rock solid signal with nearly zero fading in the Seattle area for several hours every night for decades, were it not for the TOH ID, you could mistake them for a Seattle station.

And for what did they reduce KGA for? For this crappy little Piedmont, CA station? Reminds me of the disastrous WOWO reduction for WLIB. And for what benefit?
    To the person who stole my antidepressants; I hope you're happy now.

I've only heard KSFN one time, and KGA was on open carrier. I can't hear anything other than KGA most nights. I may have gotten KCKK under the open carrier one time, but I got no ID.

-crainbebo
    773 AM's in the log, 656 FMs (250 from Western WA), That's a DXer!
    FM, AM and SW DXer of Yakima, WA! God Bless America!
    Last New FM Log: KWEN 95.5 Tulsa OK (7/23/18 Es)
    Last New AM Log: 670 KLTT CO (morning) and 1300 KOLY SD (evening), Halloween 2018

What was the business mechanics of KGA dropping its class and power? Was there financial consideration? Joint ownership? The whole theory behind clear channel high power broadcasting was to cover rural areas, that doesn't seem to matter any more.

To answer my own question, joint ownership, Mapleton owns both stations. Too bad. A good signal over a wide underserved area was an asset. Why not just take it off the air entirely, or make it daytime only, then the Bay Area could have its fifth 50 kw signal.
    Last edited by Lopaka; 09-14-2013 at 10:47 PM.

Mapleton owner of what is now KSFN, bought the entire Citadel Spokane group of stations including KGA.
    "Killed two birds with one stone." Expanded into Washington State and got a big upgrade for their Piedmont station.
    The SFO market station that is worth a whole lot more now. As for Spokane, they put the talk on 790 and sports
    on 1510.

Still can't hear KSFN under KGA at all, except that one time two years ago. KKXA 1520's horrible IBOC hash kills almost anything on 1510 anyways.

-crainbebo
    773 AM's in the log, 656 FMs (250 from Western WA), That's a DXer!
    FM, AM and SW DXer of Yakima, WA! God Bless America!
    Last New FM Log: KWEN 95.5 Tulsa OK (7/23/18 Es)
    Last New AM Log: 670 KLTT CO (morning) and 1300 KOLY SD (evening), Halloween 2018

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast