• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Is Doug FM an more of an oldies station?

Jasonthegreat

Frequent Participant
If anyone has noticed, 93.1 Doug FM plays mainly 70s and 80s music, making it sound more like an oldies station. I mean, sure, there are some songs from other decades on this station, but most of the music they play is from the 70s and 80s.

Does anyone else feel that Doug FM is more of an oldies station?

Theyre usually playing the same classic rock I can hear on CSX whenever I turn them on. They'll play an occasional "oldies" track and the occasional 90s track, but it's mostly classic rock when I hear it.

I was gonna say it sounds more like Classic Hits, but it sounds like it should really be classified as Classic Rock. In my opinion, a good Classic Hits station would play a good variety of different types of music from the '70s and '80s: a good balance of pop, rock, disco, and so on. WFGR in Grand Rapids is a good example of how I feel a Classic Hits station should sound. They include a good amount of dancy type '80s music that's pretty good.

Doug FM should probably classify itself as Classic Rock rather than, what, Adult Hits?

Yes - WOMC is a Classic Hits station. However, the original question wasn't "what music should Doug FM play?". It was basically, "How should Doug FM classify itself given its current playlist?"

If I'm not mistaken, I think Doug FM classifies itself as Adult Hits. But what I'm saying is that, given its playlist, it should change its classification to Classic Rock.

It's time for DOUG to die! :mad:

chrocket87 said:
Theyre usually playing the same classic rock I can hear on CSX whenever I turn them on. They'll play an occasional "oldies" track and the occasional 90s track, but it's mostly classic rock when I hear it.

I take it Doug FM would never play any current pop songs by an artist like, for instance, Kelly Clarkson?

They play some newer stuff. They have a really broad playlist. I like it. We don't need a Rhythmic at 93.1.

What I am saying about Doug FM is that it should be variety hits, not classic rock. This means they should be playing music from all decades. I have heard some newer stuff, too. Still, most of the music is from the 70s and 80s "classic rock" era.

Jasonthegreat said:
What I am saying about Doug FM is that it should be variety hits, not classic rock. This means they should be playing music from all decades. I have heard some newer stuff, too. Still, most of the music is from the 70s and 80s "classic rock" era.

It sounds like, based on what you said in response to my question on the '80s/'90s Variety Hits board, that Doug FM is a classic-rock-leaning Variety Hits station. That makes sense now.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom