• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WIXY

We Only got to listen to WIXY1260 when we Drove to Cleveland or Sea World. But we Knew of it By Listing to our Own WIXZ 1360 Mckeesport [serving the Greater Pittsburgh Area]. Some of The Same DJ's Were on Both Stations. We Shared the Satalight Studio [with Ohio Plates]. A Great Station. The problem was the 1kw nighttime Signal East of the City Proper. Terry Lee On his Web Site Pittsburgh Oldies Still Play's the WIXZ 1360 Jingles.

I grew up in Solon and was a fan. 1260 had a bad nighttime signal at my house, at times 1360 came in better....go figure.

I was a pretty big WIXY listener. For my listening time they competed mostly with CKLW, WHLO (mostly for their countdown show) ... two daytimers... WABQ 1540 (R&B), WLRO 1380 in Lorain...now WDLW and at night CHYR in Lemington, Ontario Canada. Mike Renari was their almost to the end, if I recall. WIXY's weekly local countdown show was an excellent one. A group of us kids would pick a song that just debuted and we would all call in for it. I'd go out and buy a copy. I still have all of these particular 45 RPM records in the special box we stored them in. We'd usually pick off-the-wall ones, but not always.

"Off-the-Wall" ones we picked included: "Give Peace A Chance" by Plastic Ono Band, "Kool and The Gang" by the group of the same name (their first hit and a great party-hardy instrumental), "Groovy Grubworm" by Harlow Wilcox and The Oakies (another fab instrumental that was even bigger on CKLW),
"Psychedelic Shack" by The Temptations (still my favorite Temps tune) and others of course.
"Spill The Wine" by Eric Burdon and War which I have here in an almost pristine picture sleeve.

There were 2 songs we picked that I was unable to find the 45 for and had to buy the whole LP. There were a total of 22 songs we picked to try to help them become big hits by calling in for them. Want to know the rest?
I'll be happy to oblige.

Never heard of it ;D

Great website! I listened to it for a while this afternoon. Brought back some memories. Great variety of music too!

I too grew up listening to WIXY and CKLW. Where I lived out in Lake County CKLW actually came in better at night so I was a regular listener to both. I remember waking up to Mike Renari before he moved down here to Florida.

Yes, I grew up listening to WIXY 1260. Lots of fond memories for sure. WIXY DJs I remember were Mike Renieri, "The Duker" Larry Morrow, Lou "King" Kirby, Chuck Dunaway, "The Wild Child" Dick Kemp, Billy Bass, Chuck Knapp and "Big" John Roberts. I guess Renieri was there the longest - into the 70's as I recall. And then there were the news guys. Alexander Prescott (I love that name) and Bill Clark are the two that I remember.

swfl said:
I too grew up listening to WIXY and CKLW. Where I lived out in Lake County CKLW actually came in better at night so I was a regular listener to both. I remember waking up to Mike Renari before he moved down here to Florida.

Of course, Larry Morrow ended up in Cleveland because WIXY's Norman Wain heard him as "Duke Windsor" on CKLW. This profile on "Cleveland Seniors" says Larry started on WIXY using his real name, which was a surprise to one Mr. Wain. :D

http://www.clevelandseniors.com/people/morrow.htm

My desk, that I use every day, came from the old WIXY / WDOK building off Rockside Rd. You wouldn't believe how much furniture polish I use on it. 8)

WIXY still alive streaming at www.wixy1260online.com

Jingles, airchecks and more @ www.wixy1260.com

I was wondering if anyone had ever mentioned our Internet station on any of these boards. I'm now a DJ on WIXY1260Online. At one point, a sister station called WIXZ1360Online was created, playing music from the '80s to the present day, but it shut down due to lack of listeners. A similar sister station called WIXY1260Beyond, however, was launched just last month. I hope to start a show on that station soon in addition to the one I do on WIXY1260Online.
http://www.wixy1260beyond.com/

If anyone has airchecks of the late Jack Starr who was on WIXY part-time around 1973 while he worked full-time in Erie, PA at WJET, I would love to hear some. His daughter is a friend on Facebook and I'm sure she would love to hear her Dad again.

WIXY's less remembered music

When talking about any station that I used to listen to, I most enjoy talking about songs that did not make it big, but were played.

On WIXY 1260, how many of you recall:

"Mississippi Mama" by Owen B. -- An upbeat, wild rockin' record by an Ohio band, released on Janus Records. It peaked at #97 on the Billboard "Hot 100" in 1970. The B-side was a most interesting remake of the Motown hit "Nowhere To Run", done so differently that the only way to tell it's the same song is to listen to the lyrics. I recently got a CD by them (Owen B. was a group), and outside of these two songs, the rest of the CD is so-so.

"Cheryl Moana Marie" by John Rowles. He was an Engelbert Humperdinck sound-alike. Never really liked it, but have a strong memory of it, probably because I, somehow, got the '45', although I don't remember buying it. Recently, I found his "Cheryl Moana Marie" album in a thrift store. What the heck, I picked it up. It's exactly what you would expect. A minor hit single that reached #64 in "The Hot 100".

"Dance Master, Pt. 1" by Willie Henderson. A #73 hit from the later days of WIXY 1260, 1974. This was an unexceptional Funk/R&B track on Playboy Records. Previously, he was a Producer at Brunswick Records.

"Try" by Pepper Tree. This Capitol Records release was one of a number of unexceptional tracks WIXY played in summer/fall 1970. I remember there was a big "blood-letting" of a bunch of these records that someone must have decided were not going to make it ... and the station decided not to waste any more air time on them. So, there was one week when I heard the most number of debut songs on the WIXY countdown show that I had ever heard. The most notable, and the only one I recall, was "I Think I Love You" by The Partridge Family. Needless to say, "Try" as the group might, Pepper Tree was cut down.

Do you remember some interesting songs on WIXY 1260? I've got more.

I know WIXY played some songs that were popular locally but not nationally. Did they play Space Rock by the Baskerville Hounds? That song was featured as theme music on Ghoulardi's show.

Last edited:
Same with me. I didn't start listening to WIXY on a regular basis until late 1967. I'm a little confused because Space Rock was released in 1967, but Ghoulardi left Cleveland in 1966.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom