• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

New '1650 AM' Prescott Valley

Prescott Valley has a new AM signal, operating as ZonaRocks KWTF/KBUZ. Sounds voicetracked, with a mix of big voiced announcer guys and hobbiest sounding guys, and aggressively produced local spots and promotion. The hours I listened, it was a bit like ZRock, an old satellite format.

It's unlicenced, and gets out better than a Rangemaster transmitter might be expected to. So WTF is KWTF/KBUZ, anyway? ???

Bill, it's audible about 4 miles, and 1.5 miles solid. This would appear to seriously beat a Rangemaster I've tested ground mounted (per R. Fry) or tower elevated 30' per an 'enhanced' mode.

It's a nice sounding signal, which happens to lack the low end rolloff I associate with Rangemasters. I'll take the direct approach and ask them (wouldn't hurt!)

Here's the web stream: http://www.zonarocks.com

ironbear said:
I'll take the direct approach and ask them (wouldn't hurt!)

Big voiced announcer guy, indeed. That's David Lee, one of the better image voices around. He confirms it's a Rangemaster.

About a year or so ago, they were broadcasting on FM with far more power than is legally allowed. I am not sure how much, but they were covering most of Prescott Valley quite well, playing a good variety of classic rock.

I guess they decided to become legal.

I'd point out that there are ways to get extended coverage with both AM and FM Part 15 transmitters that are entirely FCC compliant. This is typically done with single frequency networks, with synchronized carriers and audio (Fox Sports Radio Flagstaff comes to mind.) This local example is a reminder that the little Rangemaster boxes can kick ass. 8)

Updating on 1650...it's been off the air recently. They had been using 2 or more, poorly synchronized transmitters, which had been doing a fine job of interfering with each other. Indeed bizarre sounding at times, as at least one was doing some FM with the AM modulation. That sounds a bit like weirdly mistuned SSB to my SWL ears...and would probably be highly annoying to most regular listeners.

Dunno if this is a post-mortem or not, but I hope not. I grew accustomed to blasting the manicured tones of David Lee on the 10th. Watt Wonder out the windows of my period-appropriate 1988 C1500. Especially while dodging Tea Party grannies in their Hoverounds on Senior Day at PV's Frys. :D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom