• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Will CBS' Radio.com App Shut Down?

You're hearing quite a lot lately about radio groups making deals with either iHeartRadio or TuneIn to add streams of their stations to their apps. Meanwhile, not a single deal with CBS to have non-CBS stations on their Radio.com app. Anyone think they'll cave in due to their own stubbornness and grant TuneIn access to all of their station streams (not just news/talk) and fold Radio.com?

DToTheJ said:
You're hearing quite a lot lately about radio groups making deals with either iHeartRadio or TuneIn to add streams of their stations to their apps. Meanwhile, not a single deal with CBS to have non-CBS stations on their Radio.com app. Anyone think they'll cave in due to their own stubbornness and grant TuneIn access to all of their station streams (not just news/talk) and fold Radio.com?

No, the point of their own APP is to allow them to advertise (NTR - Non Traditional Revenue) in the player app .. ) if they use Tune In or iHeart they do not have the ability to control that ability.. I got a feeling the CBS branded APP will be around for awhile.. Especially for the music formats.. The reason they do not have their music stations in tune in is because they have no way of making ad dollars off those stream impressions ... and that is important when you pay $$$ royalties.

DToTheJ said:

WDST (Radio Woodstock) is a non-CBS owned station on Radio.com. That's the only one I can think of right now. They did have previous deals with Yahoo and AOL, but now program their own custom channels.

KeithE4 said:
DToTheJ said:
With all of CBS' stations now available on TuneIn once again, does anyone think this is still a possibility?

They're still not available via TuneIn on Roku, but they are on my Android phone.

And the TuneIn web interface allows listeners to directly input URLs of streams. I entered direct AAC+ links for several CBS stations (AAC+ offers great sound quality at mobile-friendly bitrates -- 32-64K), in addition to a few Cumulus stations not available directly from TuneIn, since they are on IHeart. However, I have had problems accessing Cumulus streams via the IHeart app. No such problems with TuneIn.

Some radio.com stations are available on TuneIn (Android). Not all.

FightingIrish said:
KeithE4 said:
DToTheJ said:
With all of CBS' stations now available on TuneIn once again, does anyone think this is still a possibility?

They're still not available via TuneIn on Roku, but they are on my Android phone.

And the TuneIn web interface allows listeners to directly input URLs of streams. I entered direct AAC+ links for several CBS stations (AAC+ offers great sound quality at mobile-friendly bitrates -- 32-64K), in addition to a few Cumulus stations not available directly from TuneIn, since they are on IHeart. However, I have had problems accessing Cumulus streams via the IHeart app. No such problems with TuneIn.

The TuneIn app does not allow custom URLs to be entered.

FredLeonard said:
FightingIrish said:
KeithE4 said:
DToTheJ said:

The TuneIn app does not allow custom URLs to be entered.

I believe it actually can be done via the app, but that would be way too complicated (does anyone direct-enter streaming URL's?). I know for a fact that direct stream URLs can be entered via the desktop website interface. With a TuneIn account, all the information can be accessed via the app. I do listen to direct streams via the TuneIn phone app.

Fighting Irish, good to know. I'll try it. As I noted in another thread, the radio.com Android app is hanging up on "loading station guide" and no longer works (for me and a bunch of other Android users but apparently it still works for some).

I notice the HD2 streams for KLUV and WOMC are not included in TuneIn's Android app (they go to the other stations' streams). And I would like to hear those again on the phone.

FredLeonard said:
Fighting Irish, good to know. I'll try it. As I noted in another thread, the radio.com Android app is hanging up on "loading station guide" and no longer works (for me and a bunch of other Android users but apparently it still works for some).

I notice the HD2 streams for KLUV and WOMC are not included in TuneIn's Android app (they go to the other stations' streams). And I would like to hear those again on the phone.

This might work. Go into "Manage Apps", select TuneIn, and clean cache and delete data. Sign in again and go from there. Might help.

I don't think CBS put any of the HD2 streams back on TuneIn. I had to manually insert the URLs for a few of them (KROQ 80s, Classic Live 105, etc.). Another advantage of direct URL input is that I can put whatever bitrate stream I want there, so I can easily open a AAC+ stream rather than a MP3 or WMA file by default, which is a feature I've been harping on TuneIn to include for years.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom