• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Rimshot Signals

As one who frequents this board removed farly from my favorite radio market, I notice at least four second adjacencies to regular NYC FM's which seem to cover much of the four main boroughs in some cases better than what would be called rimshots. What kind of listener-ship do La Que Buena, K-Love, and the shared tower stations, WVIP and WFAS, get in the Apple? I assume WSOU and WFMU do not amount to anything and I was not about to check all the outlying AM signals.

ai4i said:
As one who frequents this board removed farly from my favorite radio market, I notice at least four second adjacencies to regular NYC FM's which seem to cover much of the four main boroughs in some cases better than what would be called rimshots. What kind of listener-ship do La Que Buena, K-Love, and the shared tower stations, WVIP and WFAS, get in the Apple? I assume WSOU and WFMU do not amount to anything and I was not about to check all the outlying AM signals.
WSOU gets into lower westchester, Queens near the 2 Bridges. I love it. I don't crap for Rock music in the Stamford/Greenwich CT area tho. If I were to try hard with a directional antenna at home I can get WSOU over WPKN and WDHA over Kix 1055. Once and a blue moon with a Big DX WRAT. otherwise non directional over the air is Nothing. May the rock hole of my area forever continue when I am not on air. 91.7 WXCI does make to about White Plains but Urbanised RF interfence gets really bad for us down near there.

Do you mean rimshots into NYC proper or into the NYC Market?
Rimshots of the NYC market:
102.3-WSUS-Franklin, NJ/102.3 WBAB-FM Long Island
105.5-DHA-Morristown, NJ
98.3-Magic 98.3-New Brunswick, NJ
107.1-The Peak-Westchester, NY
107.1-The Breeze-Eatontown, NJ
106.3-WKMK-Thunder 106-Neptune, NJ

I just chose the four commercial FM outsiders which seem to cover the four contiguous boroughs best.
I mean within the boroughs, WFAS seems to be the only one programmed main stream, but they are also the weakest of the four.

ai4i said:

The original definition of a "rimshot" was a station outside an MSA (Metro Survey Area, not the OMB-defined MSA or Metropolitan Statistical Area) that got enough signal into a particular metro to compete, in some form or another, for dollars or listeners.

Today, the term is used rather loosely and applied to weaker signals inside a metro, too. We used to simply call these stations "limited" or "suburban" but they were "home to the metro" in Arbitron parlance.

WQBU is well inside the metro and, in a sense, not even suburban as it is faaar from the East End, the far limit of the NY MSA to the east. It is a niche format, appealing mostly to (1) Hispanics who are (2) Spanish dominant and who (3) are Mexican and who (4) like regional Mexican music. Still, it gets between a 0.3 and a 0.9 share, depending on sample distribution.

I am not familiar enough with the others to venture an opinion.

Thanks, DE.
BTW...I have no Idea where the borders of the NYC market are or of the Long Island market.

radioguy39nj said:
Jamie said:
WSOU gets into lower westchester, Queens near the 2 Bridges.

Why then is WSOU broadcasting MiLB Brooklyn Cyclones games this season? Is their signal receivable in Brooklyn? ???

Info from the Brooklyn Cyclones website on the WSOU arrangement here.

MediaBistro's piece here.

Apparently the Cyclones couldn't come to an agreement with Kingsborough Community College/WKRB for another season due to renovation at the college's Manhattan Beach studios this summer which would knock them off the air for a stretch.

Another factor was the signal: WSOU 89.5 should reach Coney Island - if not trampled upon by those pesky pirates. I'll defer to Brooklyn residents/travelers re: reception issues.

ai4i said:
Thanks, DE.
BTW...I have no Idea where the borders of the NYC market are or of the Long Island market.

Here you are... the counties and boroughs that form the NY radio market (Long Island, Nassau and Suffolk Counties, is / are part of the NY radio market, but also broken out in a separate Arbitron report):

Fairfield, CT
Bergen, NJ
Essex, NJ
Hudson, NJ
Middlesex, NJ
Monmouth, NJ
Morris, NJ
Passaic, NJ
Somerset, NJ
Union, NJ
Bronx, NY
Kings, NY
Nassau, NY
New York, NY
Putnam, NY
Queens, NY
Richmond, NY
Rockland, NY
Suffolk, NY
Westchester, NY

Looks like a lot!
Does that include the nineteenth R-I market or are they another recognised market?

The 19th market (Nassau-Suffolk) is included in the NY Metro and is separately rated.

Other markets that are similarly surveyed are #120 Morristown, NJ; #41 Middlesex-Somerset-Union, NJ; #53 Monmouth, NJ (Ocean County not included); #149 Stamford-Norwalk, CT.

Arbitron national map of Metro Survey Areas - PDF file link here.

You'll have to increase the page size to at least 100% and then re-center the page by scrolling towards the right hand side where you can view the New York area on the big main map and an additional inset map of the New York Metro/southern New England area.

WSOU gets in to Coney Island and Brooklyn quite well. It's a clear shot across Newark and then the water from their location. WSOU has the most trouble going west, due to the 400' mountain due west of the Seaton Hall campus.

A much better deal for the Cyclones than WKRB which covers the ballpark and not a whole lot else. WSOU gives the team a signal in NJ, Brooklyn, parts of Manhattan and Staten Island.

NJ 101.5, out in the Trenton NJ area, at .9, has a higher overall rating than NYC class B WEMP, which has .6 in the NYC PPM's.
WHUD, from north of Peekskill, is tied with WEMP. A few have ratings of .5 in NYC, including rock station WDHA, Thunder Country, and Christian Contemporary Music WAWZ.
With the possible exception of WHUD, all of these can only be heard in limited parts of the New York City area.

Barry said:
NJ 101.5, out in the Trenton NJ area, at .9, has a higher overall rating than NYC class B WEMP, which has .6 in the NYC PPM's.
WHUD, from north of Peekskill, is tied with WEMP. A few have ratings of .5 in NYC, including rock station WDHA, Thunder Country, and Christian Contemporary Music WAWZ.
With the possible exception of WHUD, all of these can only be heard in limited parts of the New York City area.

That definitely means that WEMP is failing, since it's been almost a year. It's still being beaten by out of market stations.

Nick said:
Barry said:

That definitely means that WEMP is failing, since it's been almost a year. It's still being beaten by out of market stations.
If you are talking 6+, I don't know any 7 year olds interested in WINS or WCBS, either.

Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!

@ ai41 :

This might help with directions and such.

http://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?call=WQHT&service=FM&status=L&hours=U

It's the coverage map of the FM station WQHT, but it should suit the purpose.

Their tower is the red crosshairs in the middle. It's on the Empire State Buidling on the tiny but densely populated Manhattan Island.

You may want to magnify the map so you can read the cities more easily.
Just north of Manhattan is small, irregular rectangle of The Bronx. That is one of New Uork City's five 'boroughs'.
Southeast of Manhattan (with the misplaced double circle) is Brooklyn, also known as Kings County.
Where most of the words 'New York' occupy, no doubt for spacing reasons, is the borough/county of Queens.
Where the letters 'ork' are, and extending east to the rim of the red circle is Nassau County. From then on east, for another 90 miles, is Suffolk County.

The black circle denoting the city of Yonkers is in Westchester County, which goes north along the east side of the Hudson River. Across that river, where it says New City, is the small triangle of Rockland County NY.
South over the border into New Jersey, that sprawling miniature yelllow jigsaw puzzle is Bergen County NJ.
The city of Paterson NJ is in Passaic County.
If you drop down to the next circled city of Newark NJ, you're now in Union County as well.
South of Newark, across the gold line that separates counties, is a blank yellow, sorta of boot-shaped county, back in New York state again, called Richmond County. It's more common name is Staten Island, and it is another of the Five Boroughs.

Ooops -- one more. At the spot where the red coverage-area line to the northeast intersects the city of Stamford is in Fairfield County Connecticut.

Lotsa people and lotsa municipalities in the New York Metro.

Steve Green NEPA said:
The population of the NYC television market is pretty near that of the Rocky Mountain time zone!
Question: are a bunch of those people beyond the WQXR red?

Merely the memories of someone who has been reading road maps since age 4, ai4i, but an estimate here would put something like 12 million people in that red circle.

The yellowed areas, though flawed in spots, are where the vast majority of the people are packed.

The long Suffolk County out on Long Island, and roughly 1.8 million people, would be the most populated county outside the red circle and still included in that list of counties considered in the New York City metro.

ai4i said:
Steve Green NEPA said:
The population of the NYC television market is pretty near that of the Rocky Mountain time zone!
Question: are a bunch of those people beyond the WQXR red?
Even though WQXR doesn't have the power or paper coverage, or even the building penetration of the full power stations, the fact they are using the master on Empire is an advantage and works for car radios very well.

With the short-spacing of the stations in the Northeast, WQXR does not have the same problem I've noticed with CBS-FM or Z-100. If fact, I've had better experience with WQXR' 105.9 signal to the South of The City, than most others would like to admit.

Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!

I'm pretty sure that the pattern contours I linked were to WQHT 97.1, not WQXR. 'Hot 97' is often the only NYC station we can hear out this far west. (We have a rotor on the roof)

Point of the map was to show that the population density was within the red --the loudest -- contour. Ai4i had been curious about the area.

The 'rimshot' stations will fail to cover all Five Boroughs. Those five small counties comprising 'New York City' are where a little over 8,000,000 people reside. The rimshots may serve one, or even two, of the Boroughs well, but not all five. The Five Boroughs are well within that red circle.

@ ai4i : On both sides of the Hudson River from Manhattan, there are second-adjacent stations that share the same frequency. 96.7, 107.1, 106.3, 102.3, 98.3, 94.3, 103.9, 105.5 and 92.7 all come to mind. There are others I can't think of at the moment. When you use the word 'rimshot', those smaller-power FM frequencies embody the truest meaning. The barrage of AM directionals that shoehorned their way toward the Five Boroughs don't count anymore ; they've long been obsolete.

@BadJef: Lol -- the Rays are the third ball team I root for. That's the result of having spent the first half of the 2010 MLB season in The Villages with my Folks.
Mets, then Yankees, then the Rays. Sounds screwy and contradictory, but there it is.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom