Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: WHAT IS THE REASON FOR RADIO?

Re: WHAT IS THE REASON FOR RADIO?

This conversation has certainly blossomed today!

Government (and society) is having a hard time defining and re-defining what the rules are for the banking industry. In the political arena we are still pushing-and-shoving over "Tall Street", banks, and what the rules should be. About time we thought maybe we were going to settle for a "lump bed" and just live with whatever is going on, we have this dust-up now with J P Morgan Chase. First the big news was "They lost TWO BILLION dollars." This morning the number is Three Billion Dollars. What will it be tomorrow?

Government (and society) is having a hard time defining and re-defining what the rules are for the world of healthcare... and it is far from settled.

Government (and society) is having a hard time defining and re-defining what the rules and expectations are for public schools. The Charter School movement is about the displace immigration and abortion as the HOT TOPIC in your legislature no matter where you live!

Church (and society) is having a hard time defining and re-defining what the rules and expectations are for communities that worship. In another forum where I troll.... er, sorry, in another forum where I participate... they are arguing the virtues of the MEGA church vs. the neighborhood church that has much in common with 1912. They are arguing the virtues of everybody gather to "be church" once a week at 11 A.M. on Sunday... vs having six or seven different gatherings every weekend so people can pick a time that is appropriate and convenient. They are arguing over church being ONE real estate location versus some kind of satellite of "campuses" linked together by eye-poping video mechanisms.

And here we sit. Those who see the role of radio being same today as it was in 1934.... or not. In every area of life listed above, (and there are certainly other theaters of life that could be added if that were our goal and purpose).... in every area of life listed above, there is change, there is turmoil, there is pushing-shoving-and-shouting, and there is uncertainty about the future.

Welcome to the planet folks. Welcome to humanity. Welcome to 2012.

I just wish there was at least one part of life where I could be like Linus and his blanket... just go sit down in the corner, wrap- and curl-up, and just enjoy the damned thing!!!!!

Life is too short to waste time dancing with ugly posts

Quote Originally Posted by Goat Rodeo Cowboy
    in every area of life listed above, there is change, there is turmoil, there is pushing-shoving-and-shouting, and there is uncertainty about the future.
    I agree, and the one thing lacking from all is leadership. It doesn't take leadership for everyone to state their opinions. It takes leadership to convince all the people with their strong opinions and self-interests to co-operate and share with others. Interesting that the church is no different than private industry in this area. The problem as I see it is that we, as a people need and want services, but don't want to pay for them. Health care, banking, education, and even religion are all much better when the focus is on service rather than money. But the focus today is on eliminating a single-payer system for health care and education. Groups also want to eliminate the single payer system from broadcasting. So you're left with the system we have now, where private industry rules. We are a government by, for, and of the people, and this is what our government has produced. Are we happy? Somewhere we need to make a connection between the services we want, and the taxes we are willing to pay. If we as a people can't do that, then we deserve the chaos that results. Somehow the previous generation figured it out. Maybe that's why they're the greatest generation.

I don't want to take anything away from "The Greatest Generation". But in a discussion like this, I would have the gall to ask the question: If they were still around, if they were still up to the task of facing life head-on.... how would they deal with our circumstances today?

Not very well!

My parents were members of The Greatest Generation and I think I know what made them that way. The Great Depression for one.

They went through much of their childhood deprived of virtually everything we take for granted today: food, entertainment, education, mobility, and many of them saw their families shattered and split over the inability of the father to earn a decent living.

That was followed by the most destructive war in the world's history and those same people were then pulled out of school, factories and farms to either go into battle in places most had never heard of and the females took up the jobs that the men had to leave behind. It was a massive reallocation of resources, human and material, and their world would never be the same.

The Depression was at last ended and the War was won. They came back to the primary life they had been led to believe was the great American dream - marriage, kids, a house and a good job. They had been through the hard times and did not take the prosperous 1950's for granted.

My dad worked 6 1/2 days per week and about 10 hours per day with one week off for annual vacation and he thought he had it made. I never heard him complain, not once. They knew what real deprivation was.

Although the generations that followed have also made their mark they never had to face a common enemy that realistically could have defeated them and literally put them in chains. After half a life of having so little they finally had the good life and they were not going to blow it. They looked after politics on the national and local levels. They attended parent-teacher conferences and were members of the PTA. They made sure I did my homework and were quick to lower the boom if I wasn't living up to my potential. Every parent on my block was also a parent to every kid on my block. Not only did they know their neighbors but they knew their kids, their curfews and what was allowed or not. Now we have cameras on the street but back then it was other kids parents - and it was way more effective.

The Greatest Generation faced challenges that few others in our history have faced. I doubt a single one of them would say they were heros or did anything exceptional. They simply did what they believed themselves and what society believed as a whole. It was far from a perfect world of course and they'd be the first to tell you that but to answer Goat's question I think they would just say "get back to the basics and the things that made us the great society we were then".

And just for grins I would also give a tip of the hat to the Greatest Generation's immediate ancestors for it was they who raised the GG with the morals, beliefs and commitment to accomplish what they did.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

And the Greatest Generation and the industry we call Radio blossomed during a "shared time frame".

They were grateful for this new fangled thing called radio, and they embraced it. And radio returned the favor.

Quote Originally Posted by Goat Rodeo Cowboy
    And the Greatest Generation and the industry we call Radio blossomed during a "shared time frame".

They were grateful for this new fangled thing called radio, and they embraced it. And radio returned the favor.

And I think that wasn't a coincidence. They grew up in a very different time. Radio freed them from many things. Today, we have many choices that do the same thing. Radio has no exclusive on anything. If I want traffic reports on radio, I have to wait, and even then, the report will probably miss my commute. Why wait when I can create a custom traffic report on my phone?

As I often say, this is what happens when the "me" generation has kids. It's all about "me," not about "us," so a medium that is built around one-to-many can't relate.

To me, "What is the reason for radio?" sounds like the question is "Why is there radio?". That's a long story. In the beginning it was a novelty, transmitting sound wirelessly. Then one day a tailor realized he could tell the people listening to that novelty about his clothing store. The broadcaster realized if he could help the tailor make money he should share in that profit.

I have talked to tour groups visiting the various (TV) stations i have worked and explained to them that "The business of broadcasting is providing an audience for the advertisers message". You can't break it down any simpler than that. A station is programmed in such a way that it attracts listeners, and then charges advertisers a fee to deliver their message to the listeners it has attracted.

I have coined the terms "active programming" and "passive programming" in other discussions on this board. I would say most broadcasters today are guilty of "passive programming". The program the least offensive material they can, so listeners will not tune out. A station that practices "active programming" will broadcast something that listeners will make it a point to tune in for. The listeners make a decision to choose station A over station B because station A is actively trying to attract them. Station B is not doing anything directly to attract listeners, it is only broadcasting material that is not a tune out factor.

Looking at what has happened to the industry today, I would almost ask "Why is radio still here?" I don't see it as the great entertainment industry it once was (in the 60s/70s when I started listening and being entertained). Much of radio today is background noise, compared to what it could be. So, since the radios are on and the PPMs are registering, money will spent to buy advertising time. Bean counters don't seem to be interested in return on long term investments. So, when listeners stop listening, instead of actively trying to attract them back to listening, less money is spent on programming so the profit is not affected too much. There will always be a base amount of money that has to be spent, and we al have heard stations that spent "just enough money to stay on the air". True, the minimum expenditure for the media giants will still produce a listenable program compared to Mr. and Mrs. Next Door's tiny one owner station. But at one point (we can only hope) listeners will revolt against the media giants when they realize what they've been missing.
    "ongoing rant against voice tracking"

Quote Originally Posted by PirateJohnny
    But at one point (we can only hope) listeners will revolt against the media giants when they realize what they've been missing.
    That's an interesting comment.

As I've said, listeners have lots of alternatives. There is no media monopoly. If they don't like what's on free radio, they're welcome to subscribe to satellite, stream internet radio, or contribute to public radio. That's the most effective form of revolt. Patronize the competition. The alternative to the private system we have would be a government run system. Think that's better?

There are still a few members of the Greatest Generation around, and many of them are appalled at the lack of vision exhibited by people and corporations. Short-term profit for a few trumps the long-term health of the enterprise and its stockholders. People do what's expedient, not what's right. Government "of the people, by the people, for the people" has become government for the slickest operators with the deepest pockets.
    Did I forget that <<sarcasm>> tag again?

Quote Originally Posted by PirateJohnny

To me, "What is the reason for radio?" sounds like the question is "Why is there radio?". That's a long story. In the beginning it was a novelty, transmitting sound wirelessly. Then one day a tailor realized he could tell the people listening to that novelty about his clothing store. The broadcaster realized if he could help the tailor make money he should share in that profit.

I have talked to tour groups visiting the various (TV) stations i have worked and explained to them that "The business of broadcasting is providing an audience for the advertisers message". You can't break it down any simpler than that.
    Yeah. That seems to size it up.

Or does it.

What then is the explanation for public radio? What then is the explanation for the small transmitters giving tourist info, or road detour information? A radio story built simply on the idea tha the advertiser is the center of the universe doesn't seem fully robust. How do you explain what radio does in European countries where it is a government service.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast