• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Full service radio stations

Just returned from Hastings, Nebraska where there is a great full-service station -- KHAS 1230AM. They are very involved in the local community, they broadcast local news, local sports, local Agriculture news, a swap shop program called "Party Line" and a great mix of music in between programs. Yes - they stream online - have a listen! http://streamdb3web.securenetsystems.net/v5/KHAS

Was giving it a listen, what's their target demo? 60+

With about 42 percent of the population over 45, Hastings is probably a place where such a station can make a go of it. The AM dial there is dominated by oldies, classic hits, news/talk and "farm" formats, the FM by country, religious, classic hits and classic rock.

Such an old thread.

My idea of full service is a station known as the place for local information. Usually that is the station with network news, local news, weather, sports, especially local sports, specialty shows like Swap Shops and such. Typically there are live or sound live voice-tracked and most have a mass appeal format.

An example is KGAF 1580 and translator 92.3 in Gainesville, Texas run by a legendary broadcaster, Steve Eberhart. The morning show has two well known local folks (one started at the station in 1974). There's a local news director. While an oldies based AC format (maybe 1/3 to 40% currents and recurrents), it is music intensive after morning drive that includes "Swap It To Me" and a drawing for prizes for a birthday and anniversary couple. ABC News minute on the hour, State Network minute on half hour, weather twice an hour, local community announcement every 30 minutes, local sports, a local sportstalk show, and lots of live coverage of community events are part of the format. Full local news 5x a day with week in review on Saturday morning. The format is so well done it is the preferred choice for at work listening and I can honestly say it is a household name to high school age through the very elderly and everyone inbetween. I have not seen such universal popularity since the late 1970s or early 1980s when there were a third the number of stations as today. KGAF does stream (kgaf.net) and all the online listening devices (alexa, phone with free app, etc).

What about full service (The format) stations on the 88-92 MHz band

Us.. KSKO 89.5 McGrath, Alaska.. we're not the true definition of full service" but were pretty local. We're "nominally" an NPR affiliate.. but from 8-9 and 12noon to 4pm weekdays, we have a local dj.. the mayor in mornings and at lunch 12-2. and me, the PD or a volunteer in afternoons 2 to 4. then I'm on 7 to 9 friday nights with anything goes format

our music consists of country, rock, alternative and stuff in between. I've had judas preist next to garth brooks next to weird al cuse thats what was requested.

We do weather at 30 past whenever a local person is on and at 45 past, messages... community announcements, etc

We are there any time of day if theres breaking news or weather information or some kind of emergency. our state trooper, town officials, school officials and health officials all have my cell number and know they can call at any hour if its a true emergency.

I do regular short form interviews with people on topics of interest since i dont have a news director or GM to do those things.

I go out in town (which isnt very far!!) and take pictures and videos of things going on to post on our facebook page

we stream www.kskopublicradio.com

WE're fun, I happen to think. If you want to stream us during local shows keep in mind, were in the AK Time zone, 1 hour behind pacific, 2 hours behind mountain, 3 behind central and 4 behind eastern

Last edited:
I also agree with your opinions on KGAF 1580. Steve Eberhart runs that station like a workhorse. Amazing format, no wonder everyone in Gainesville and Cooke County listens to it.
I think my favorite full-service station, at least around here (we don't have many), is KOZI-93.5 in Chelan, WA. Adult Contemporary format with a huge mix of music from the '70s up through today (tell me, what station, even Soft ACs, run 'I'll Never Love This Way Again' by Dionne Warwick nowadays?) They also have news updates every hour, CBS news on the hour, and 2nd Cup of Coffee, an interview show mixed with 'tradio' weekdays and Saturday mornings.
The AM (1230) used to simulcast. It is now conservative talk.

Us.. KSKO 89.5 McGrath, Alaska.. we're not the true definition of full service" but were pretty local. We're "nominally" an NPR affiliate.. but from 8-9 and 12noon to 4pm weekdays, we have a local dj.. the mayor in mornings and at lunch 12-2. and me, the PD or a volunteer in afternoons 2 to 4. then I'm on 7 to 9 friday nights with anything goes format

our music consists of country, rock, alternative and stuff in between. I've had judas preist next to garth brooks next to weird al cuse thats what was requested.

We do weather at 30 past whenever a local person is on and at 45 past, messages... community announcements, etc

We are there any time of day if theres breaking news or weather information or some kind of emergency. our state trooper, town officials, school officials and health officials all have my cell number and know they can call at any hour if its a true emergency.

I do regular short form interviews with people on topics of interest since i dont have a news director or GM to do those things.

I go out in town (which isnt very far!!) and take pictures and videos of things going on to post on our facebook page

we stream www.kskopublicradio.com

WE're fun, I happen to think. If you want to stream us during local shows keep in mind, were in the AK Time zone, 1 hour behind pacific, 2 hours behind mountain, 3 behind central and 4 behind eastern
Here we have 1370 WMGO which has local newscasts at 7, 8, 9, and noon

I also agree with your opinions on KGAF 1580. Steve Eberhart runs that station like a workhorse. Amazing format, no wonder everyone in Gainesville and Cooke County listens to it.
I think my favorite full-service station, at least around here (we don't have many), is KOZI-93.5 in Chelan, WA. Adult Contemporary format with a huge mix of music from the '70s up through today (tell me, what station, even Soft ACs, run 'I'll Never Love This Way Again' by Dionne Warwick nowadays?) They also have news updates every hour, CBS news on the hour, and 2nd Cup of Coffee, an interview show mixed with 'tradio' weekdays and Saturday mornings.
The AM (1230) used to simulcast. It is now conservative talk.

I'm not sure KLMI even has that song.. that seems like it'd be too sleepy and slow for their format.

Does KSKO have it? possibly!

I think WTAN is brokered along with WDCF & WZHR. Don't they also have a sister in Little Rock on 880?
The Tan Talk stations as they are called do broker programs and carry Music of your Life when not brokering. RE the last station you mentioned, I think you mean the station in Hawaii

The Tan Talk stations as they are called do broker programs and carry Music of your Life when not brokering. RE the last station you mentioned, I think you mean the station in Hawaii

No, he didnt.. The Wagervords used to own KLRG in Little rock along with Tan Talk. Their Hawaii station is for sale

Most of the radio stations in Hawaii are for sale.
Does that include Oahu Island (Honolulu)?
Kelly, what's going on in Hawaii that is making radio ownership so unappealing?
I suspect most of these sales are probably on Hawaii's smaller islands as there never was the market to support these stations. The Kona coast had a tourist boom, but thanks to Covid, it got reduced to the small town that it really is. Also, those stations located in Volcano, HI got a bad deal. They received contour maps that didn't account for the terrain at all, and so they had to invest in a whole bundle of boosters that they weren't expecting.

Tower rent is astronomical in Hawai`i, and most (all?) towers on the neighbor islands are owned or managed by the same company. And it's nearly impossible to put up your own tower there.

The towers, and possibly COVID, I figured we're behind it. For AM's especially, the cost of renting tower space, along with declining revenue, a bigger blow from lack of ad revenue due to COVID is becoming too much for these owners. I'm surprised more AM's haven't gone dark in Hawaii.

For a state dependent on tourism dollars, Hawaii was especially hit hard by the pandemic.

The towers, and possibly COVID, I figured we're behind it. For AM's especially, the cost of renting tower space, along with declining revenue, a bigger blow from lack of ad revenue due to COVID is becoming too much for these owners. I'm surprised more AM's haven't gone dark in Hawaii.

For a state dependent on tourism dollars, Hawaii was especially hit hard by the pandemic.

KIPA 1060 Hilo had been 5 or 10kw non directional full time, they downgraded to a 1kw daytimer... all because all they really care about is the translator fed by the AM

Kelly, what's going on in Hawaii that is making radio ownership so unappealing?
The pandemic has been more brutal on local island radio and TV than just about anywhere. I was staying at our home on the Big Island during the holidays, and had the opportunity to talk with a sales manager of a group that includes the islands. He was telling me that when the governor stopped all cruise ship visits and tourism in general, businesses/advertisers either closed up temporarily, or permanently. Advertising still hasn't returned.to anywhere per-pandemic levels. Many have already laid off staff to below skeleton numbers, and those who remain, are just tired. Everyone has been in a negative cashflow situation for over eighteen months.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom