• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Hot AC Imaging

In your opinion, which Hot AC's (or Modern AC's) have the best imaging/liners?

I know a lot of times in PPM markets, imaging is often cut down to never being over 4 or 5 seconds per liner, so maybe a station in a smaller town is what I'd like to hear.

I remember reading (I think on here) one time, someone was bragging on Q985-KQKQ/Omaha's imaging...saying it's "All about Omaha and would be very out of place anywhere else." Too bad I can't hear them online...I'd love to listen to that station. With that in mind, do you know of any other station(s) that I should hear?

Star 94 in Atlanta has some memorable imaging for Hot AC. It's heavily focused on adult female listeners, which is nice for the format, but they run long (10+ seconds in some instances) and frankly could alienate male listeners to the format.

When I was writing imaging as a program director, I always opted for simplicity, so personally I don't see anything wrong with ~5 second liners. In my opinion (I have no research to back this up), anything over 5+ seconds can be irritating when you're in the middle of a music set.

I agree. I personally like the quick liners (just station name or whatever) and then pile on another song.

My situation, though, is I am writing some liners that must be exactly 8 seconds and others exactly 10 sec. to fit in network avails (which we use overnights and part of weekends).

I find 8 seconds a bit difficult. It's too long to keep it basic and simple, yet not really long enough to get onto something.

We have a few of our jingles in the rotation and about 6 really nice sounding liners. Things sound great as they are...but I'm just in the process of keeping things fresh and looking for some ideas.

I enjoy how we position our new adds. We use power intros with the phrase "Now playing" which seems basic but it seems so relevant to the language of music players today. Otherwise we don't use any positioner. Just station name most of the time. When I produce our music imagers we've switched from 3 hooks to 2. Short, concise but BIG sounding imaging. Promos can still vary from 20 to 40 seconds depending on content.

CasualMat said:
I enjoy how we position our new adds. We use power intros with the phrase "Now playing" which seems basic but it seems so relevant to the language of music players today. Otherwise we don't use any positioner. Just station name most of the time. When I produce our music imagers we've switched from 3 hooks to 2. Short, concise but BIG sounding imaging. Promos can still vary from 20 to 40 seconds depending on content.

Which station is this on, Mat?

whitfm said:
Star 94 in Atlanta has some memorable imaging for Hot AC. It's heavily focused on adult female listeners, which is nice for the format, but they run long (10+ seconds in some instances) and frankly could alienate male listeners to the format.

I agree with this - I'm listening to Star 94 and all of a sudden hear a tagline like "Music for people who change diapers" or "One person is right, the other person is your husband"

1)The taglines aren't funny, and
2)It makes me feel awkward, like I shouldn't be listening to the station

adam502002 said:
I remember reading (I think on here) one time, someone was bragging on Q985-KQKQ/Omaha's imaging...saying it's "All about Omaha and would be very out of place anywhere else." Too bad I can't hear them online...I'd love to listen to that station. With that in mind, do you know of any other station(s) that I should hear?
If they would finally stream or get an app, I'd delete every other music app from my phone. I've seen the playlist and it seems to be the perfect mix of Hot AC and Alternative.

atlantaboy said:
whitfm said:

I agree with this - I'm listening to Star 94 and all of a sudden hear a tagline like "Music for people who change diapers" or "One person is right, the other person is your husband"

1)The taglines aren't funny, and
2)It makes me feel awkward, like I shouldn't be listening to the station
My 102.5/Greenville runs liners like that all of the time..."some stations are designed for your husband, we're designed for you" etc. That's kind of a turn off to me, like they don't want/appreciate male listeners...

chrocket87 said:
adam502002 said:
If they would finally stream or get an app, I'd delete every other music app from my phone. I've seen the playlist and it seems to be the perfect mix of Hot AC and Alternative.

+1, love to watch KQKQ & their adds/playlist.

butlerguy03 said:
chrocket87 said:
adam502002 said:

+1, love to watch KQKQ & their adds/playlist.

Yeah...I watch their playlist on yes.com (which has been a hassle lately might I say). But I'd really love to hear that station...The mix looks like something I'd personally love...and I'd love to hear what is between those songs to pull it all together. If the playlist is that unique, I could imagine the station itself could be, too. If anyone has an aircheck of KQKQ, I'd love to hear it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom