• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Things Which Annoy You

People who drive around at night with their headlights on high beam.

People who do this with all four lights on high beam.

People who are fans of "Close Encounters of the Third Kind"

and do this with extra bright blinding white lights on high beam.

People who do this and wave back when you try to shield

your eyes with your hand.

People who drive around at night with only their parking lights on, and their headlights off. In unincorporated parts of Clark County outside Vancouver, particularly older residential developments, there are no streetlights. You do the arithmetic.

People who use their fog lights on an otherwise clear night [size=8pt](actually, this isn't an annoyance of mine, but of my Grandmother, who continually denies the fact that on many newer models the fog lights come on automatically whether you want them to or not. In fact, her '96 Chrysler LHS is one such model. Gives you a rough idea.)

Kurt Toy said:
People who say "y'know" or "ummmm..." every few words in the course of their conversations.

Teenagers who say "Like" after every few words.....

Better yet....people who STOP at the beginning of 200 foot merge lanes and hold up lines of cars, until all cars in the regular lanes have passed, because they are afraid to merge at higher speeds! This happens mostly at street intersections.

Unbelievable!

oldies76 said:
Kurt Toy said:
People who say "y'know" or "ummmm..." every few words in the course of their conversations.

Teenagers who say "Like" after every few words.....

I remember one guy in school, a black kid named Eugene.

We met him in 1985. Eugene came from inner city Newark, NJ and he got placed in a school that REALLY made him feel awkward, a mostly white, West Coast suburban high school full of heavy metal rockers. He felt like a fish on a bicycle. He didn't know what to make of this place. At all.

Eugene had a STRANGE speech habit. He'd end almost every statement or explanation he had to say with "and s--t, though....." ('though' sounded more like 'dough')

We never knew what 'though' was for, even as "Though what?" was asked a few times.

We tried to make him feel comfortable, took him (and his brother and sister) to some heavy metal concerts and house parties on the weekends. He began to come around and feel more comfortable and as he did, "and s--t though" began to disappear from his speech pattern.

I think it's all a by-product of adolescent stress and anxiety, ESPECIALLY these days. Even I used to say "like" constantly. As well as "y'know". They still pop up occasionally in my verbal (off-air) speech when I'm SUPER nervous.

But to this very day, don't be surprised (and ABSOLUTELY don't be offended) no matter who you are and even what gender you are if I still call you "Dude". To me, it still just means you're cool and worthy of respect. The kind of person I'd love to drink a beer with. (Though some people don't get it today as quickly as they did back in the day - another term I verbally use a lot as well as in print)......

I call everybody "dude". It's a motocrosser thing. See, on the MX track *everybody* knows each other as "dude", much as how almost everybody in the continuum, with few exceptions, is known as "Q".

Even the boss-dude managed to get used to it after a couple months.

Thought of a new one this morning.

Environmentally friendly "green" restroom technology.

They recently renovated the restrooms in our building to make them more environmentally friendly.
This included the automated paper towel dispenser which doles out a single 5 inch segment to
dry your hands, one of the true banes of my existence.

In addition they installed a gadget which detects body motion and shuts the lights off when the
restroom is not in use. Fine so far as it goes. Except that it is on a wall near the door. When you go to
use a urinal you go behind a tile divider wall and it can no longer see you. So the lights go out 15 seconds
later. I have to keep waving one hand behind my back the whole time in order to keep them on. And if
you sit down in a stall, fugheddaboudit! The sink area remains pretty much dark all the time as the motion
detector never allows those lights to remain on long enough to fully warm up.

This is even worse than the "green" restrooms at WalMart with the waterless urinals that always
smell like the gents loo in a British pub in dire need of a cleaning. Or the carefully timed five second
spritz of cold water you get to wash your hands.

Aggressive young female drivers texting while driving. Sorry-- my own personal tracking of this offense over several days revealed that an average of 12 out of 15 driving-texters were female, and quite young. But I'll take one for the team on yet another annoyance...

Aggressive male drivers in over-sized SUVs and Hummers, obnoxiously speeding, tailgating and weaving. That's right, MEN, of ALL ages! Virtually every offender is male. You know who you are!

jfrancispastirchak said:
Aggressive young female drivers texting while driving. Sorry-- my own personal tracking of this offense over several days revealed that an average of 12 out of 15 driving-texters were female, and quite young. But I'll take one for the team on yet another annoyance...

Aggressive male drivers in over-sized SUVs and Hummers, obnoxiously speeding, tailgating and weaving. That's right, MEN, of ALL ages! Virtually every offender is male. You know who you are!

Blue Tinted Headlights!

People who reply in consecutive posts instead of combining their replies into one large post divided into sections, AND/OR don't properly terminate their
sections with the proper tag before replying to said quote. The terminating tag for [quo te], in fact, happens to be
[/quote]. (With a forward-slash. Like that.)

Purple-tinted headlights. I've seen these more and more within the last couple years. Not as bright as the blue ones, yet just as irritating to the eyes. ESPECIALLY on non-lighted county roads!

Limburger cheese (although that stuff's more disgusting than annoying...)

Darth_vader said:
People who reply in consecutive posts instead of combining their replies into one large post divided into sections, AND/OR don't properly terminate their
sections with the proper tag before replying to said quote. The terminating tag for [quo te], in fact, happens to be
. (With a forward-slash. Like that.)
Purple-tinted headlights. I've seen these more and more within the last couple years. Not as bright as the blue ones, yet just as irritating to the eyes. ESPECIALLY on non-lighted county roads!
Limburger cheese (although that stuff's more disgusting than annoying...)
[/quote]
Seen lots of stuff in my 60+ years, even those purple-tinted headlights you bashed. But I ain't never seen headlights covered in limburger cheese! Not even in Texas! Tell me more...

I'm annoyed by the fact that there is so much time spent on so many threads here that could be much better used in service at The Fantastic Word Game, or the FWG as some prefer.

jfrancispastirchak said:
quadraphonic said:
I'm annoyed by the fact that there is so much time spent on so many threads here that could be much better used in service at The Fantastic Word Game...

Think I'd rather floss with barbed wire.

To each his own.
Maybe flossing with barbed wire is your thing then?
It's fulfilling to know your limitations before you get too involved in a project, I guess. ;)

No ice in my soda...have to have ice in everything
Young female drivers are insane, Well presented in an Allstate commercial with the guy pretending to be a young female driving a pink SUV that rips off the side of a car while talking on a cell phone and continues driving having not even noticing what she had done.
Com\panies like Comcast who now move their call centers to India or the Phillipines where many have an accent so strong that you can't understand what they are saying. I pay top dollar for their service and expect they should be employing our out of work citizens first. where they are more than happy to take our $$$.
Like the old saying charity begins at home....employment in the US should take presidence.
Any nitwit that throws their garbarge (fast food wrappings) and other litter out of cars or any littering period.

Frequent junk mail from Comcast offering cable TV service and from Capitol One offering credit cards. They get no response from me, that should send them a message that I don't want any of it. The mail just goes into my shredder at home.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom