Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Can The AM Band Be Saved?

Can The AM Band Be Saved?

The NAB Board of Directors recently got together to discuss the future of the AM dial. Unfortunately, after reading through the piece titled "Can The AM Radio Band Be Saved?" not once, but twice, I don't think any such answer was given.
    http://www.radioink.com/Article.asp?...088&spid=24698
    "One should read the shole thread before responding." - vchimpanzee

"Friends don't let friends quote the last post of a message board thread." - Me

Re: Can The AM Band Be Saved?

IMHO the AM band cannot be saved, because the only technical solution is politically impossible.

There are simply far too many AM stations.

The vast majority of stations are not technically viable. They don't cover their entire market, at least at night. And, the need to protect them from additional interference limits the powers/patterns of other stations that might have a shot at full-market coverage.

If I were "dictator of the FCC" I would start by modifying the license of each AM station to specify the facilities it was using on Dec. 31, 1945. (yes, that means if your station was licensed after 1945, it goes away)

Quote Originally Posted by DToTheJ
    The NAB Board of Directors recently got together to discuss the future of the AM dial. Unfortunately, after reading through the piece titled "Can The AM Radio Band Be Saved?" not once, but twice, I don't think any such answer was given.
    We've been through this thousands of times. We all know what the choices are. The technical solutions are not something the NAB Board would or could approve. I suspect there are those on the Board who disagree with the premise, and think there's no problem at all with the AM band.

Nope. That's it.

Hopeless.

Game over. All dead.

Die already, willya?

Nobody will listen to that crap anymore.

Time to visit the app store.

Let it be.

Live and let die.

Don't get your feelings hurt, just go away into the wilderness and wait for the wolves.

Pack your things and go.

Where do I sign onto the death certificate?

Is there any inheritance, or just a debt to pay off?

Is this blankety-blankin' funeral over yet? I've got a really hot date with a microprocessor.

On and on.....Man!.. will this eulogy ever end?

Whew, I thought he'd never go.

And he looked really nice in the coffin, didn't he?

The music was really stiff, too.

Well, he had a good run.

In lieu of flowers, memorials may be sent to Goldman-Sachs.

What's that noise on my FM signals?

Look at these cool tuner apps...
    Valparaiso Technical Institute 1982, Analog engineer, AM pt 15, inventor with 2 issued patents, former SW pirate. Now offering antique radio repair/restoration and alignment.&nbsp; Stop just wishing that old radio worked!<br />AM1620 podcasts -&gt;&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; http://thomasjwells.podomatic.com/

Hey.

Did you see that gold ring he had on?

Let's sit in the back row so we can file past him last.

You pretend to have a wailing fit, and I'll see if I can get that ring off while no one's lookin'.
    Valparaiso Technical Institute 1982, Analog engineer, AM pt 15, inventor with 2 issued patents, former SW pirate. Now offering antique radio repair/restoration and alignment.&nbsp; Stop just wishing that old radio worked!<br />AM1620 podcasts -&gt;&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; http://thomasjwells.podomatic.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wells
    Nope. That's it.

Hopeless.

Game over. All dead.

Die already, willya?

Nobody will listen to that crap anymore.

Time to visit the app store.

Let it be.

Live and let die.

Don't get your feelings hurt, just go away into the wilderness and wait for the wolves.

Pack your things and go.

Where do I sign onto the death certificate?

Is there any inheritance, or just a debt to pay off?

Is this blankety-blankin' funeral over yet? I've got a really hot date with a microprocessor.

On and on.....Man!.. will this eulogy ever end?

Whew, I thought he'd never go.

And he looked really nice in the coffin, didn't he?

The music was really stiff, too.

Well, he had a good run.

In lieu of flowers, memorials may be sent to Goldman-Sachs.

What's that noise on my FM signals?

Look at these cool tuner apps...

Too funny.... LMAO!

You have to define "SAVED" before you can decide.

If stations like WJZI/Decatur, IN, a 250 watt daytimer, are the ones you're trying to save, then the answer is no.
    If the idea is to keep major market stations like WLW and WGN viable by shutting down everyone who isn't on a clear channel, the answer is likely still no.

But if you can come up with some way to loosen the directional patterns that stations like WIND have, you might have a shot at keeping things alive.
    "Its music what makes a radio station, and at Live FM, we play the last music around."
    After receiving that copy, I quit the VO industry.

Quote Originally Posted by PTBoardOp94

But if you can come up with some way to loosen the directional patterns that stations like WIND have, you might have a shot at keeping things alive.
    Is that under the purview of the NAB Board of Directors? I doubt it. So having them meet on this subject is a waste.

Now say the FCC had such a meeting. (And pigs flew) But obviously the FCC doesn't care whether AM radio as we knew it comes back. The band is still the band, regardless of how it's used. So they still have jobs.

Moderator/Co-Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by PTBoardOp94

But the real problem is the huge noise level in urban areas, caused by flourescents, computers, CFLs and all manner of electronic and microprocessor based devices ranging from dimmers to computer controlled refrigerators.

Where a 2 to 5 mV/m signal could be heard in homes and the workplace, it takes 10 to 15 mV/m to get listening today.

Loosening directional patterns won't make any difference. The tired "rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic" analogy comes to mind.

Oh, and add in the horrible decline in the AM section of radios in the last three decades... and the radio-containing devices with no AM at all, and what we need is a hearse, not a bunch of NAB meetings.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

I would suggest allowing everybody except the 50kw stations to go up (maybe significantly up), but I know more wattage = more electricity used = bigger bills.

Is the answer regulating electronics manufacturers, requiring them to put AM bands on all radios with FM, and requiring a set of fidelity requirements that are no more than "X" away from the FM portion? (I HATE more government regulation... so while I would love to see these things happen, I'm not a fan of the government forcing the issue.)

Can an AM cover an area as cheap or cheaper than an FM?

Since anything AM can do, FM can do better (no?), if AM can't be operated as efficiently as FM, you might as well tell the last license-holder to turn out the lights on their way out.
    The 80s Greatest Hits: http://BlackLightRadio.com

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast