• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

$8.9M buys you Jelli 94.5 Las Vegas

Just $25 for shipping? Does that mean they can ship the entire station wherever I want it for only $25? In that case, ship it to New York City! ;)

This is the first time I saw a radio station for sale on eBay. If I had 82K on hand right now, I'd place a bid. Would be great if 94.5 The Vibe could make a comeback.

This is by far one of the funniest things i've ever seen on ebay.

The 94.7 translator just kills 94.5 in parts of Vegas.

94.7 translator in Vegas = Ondas De Vida Network

Family Radio 94.7 = New York City station

94.5 just sold for a little over $300,000. That's a really good price for just the booster, not including the 100,000 watt stick in the Moapa Valley. If I had $300,000 lying around I'd have bought it because it would have been a good investment, and I'd bring back 94.5 The Vibe. Even if it only makes $200 a day it would be profitable. I wonder if it would have been possible to broadcast only 1,000 or 10,000 watts from the main transmitter instead of 100,000 to save on the electric bill and reduce interference with the booster.

94.5's tower has no electrical lines running out to it, it's diesel powered. Every few weeks or so, some company dumps off a few drums of diesel fuel, and the local farmer guy, or whatever he is, picks them up and dumps it into the generator. Shutting off the main transmitter altogether will save you at least $14,000 per month (another source told me it was as much as $28,000 per month).

Rough road out to that transmitter, I attempted it once in my Mustang and blew a tire... bad idea...

DJ_Whammy said:
94.5's tower has no electrical lines running out to it, it's diesel powered. Every few weeks or so, some company dumps off a few drums of diesel fuel, and the local farmer guy, or whatever he is, picks them up and dumps it into the generator. Shutting off the main transmitter altogether will save you at least $14,000 per month (another source told me it was as much as $28,000 per month).

Rough road out to that transmitter, I attempted it once in my Mustang and blew a tire... bad idea...

Are you talking about the main 94.5 stick out in the Moapa Valley or the booster?

If it's the main one, why don't they just drop to 10,000 watts. It's not like the FCC will inspect it anytime soon. And if they do show up for an inspection, bump up the power to 100,000 watts. A 10 dB signal change would be within normal variation and wouldn't be that detectable except at the fringes. A weak signal in St George won't be worth keeping the full 100,000 watts (but I admit it was nice being able to listen to 94.5 The Vibe for 3 hours all the way from north of St George to Vegas). Hopefully the cellular companies are renting space on that tower to serve that part of I-15.

There's a station in NJ, the former WCNJ 89.3, that used to transmit with a lot more power than it was licensed. It was only 8 watts, but its signal could be heard 20-30 miles away consistently. It wasn't even that high. The only explanation for the big signal was that it was overpowered by an order of magnitude. That's a bigger violation than not transmitting enough power.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom