• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Some thoughts on News 92 FM

In defense of "San Fee Leepay", there are some local stations that insist on the linguistically correct pronunciation.

I worked at KUHF for 17 years, where news and music announcers are told to say "San Fee Leepay." San Fillapy is verboten.

So you can't assume that someone who pronounces it correctly "isn't from around here."

FilioScotia said:
In defense of "San Fee Leepay", there are some local stations that insist on the linguistically correct pronunciation.

I worked at KUHF for 17 years, where news and music announcers are told to say "San Fee Leepay." San Fillapy is verboten.

So you can't assume that someone who pronounces it correctly "isn't from around here."

I was taught to pronounce San Felipe "correctly" and San Jacincto "incorrectly," but I've only been here 10 years.

San Jacinto IS a cross-cultural oddity. I know Hispanics who pronounce it the Texas way, and Anglos who say it the Spanish way.

You no doubt know that San Jacinto is the Spanish translation of Saint Hyacinth, but did you know there's a Saint Hyacinth Catholic Church in Deer Park?

On its website, we learn that "St. Hyacinth Parish was canonically established by Bishop John L. Morkovsky in 1965 on August 16, the eve of the feast of St. Hyacinth.

St. Hyacinth was chosen as the patron of our parish because of the location of the San Jacinto battlegrounds and monument in the parish area. "Saint Hyacinth" is the English translation for the Spanish "San Jacinto."

Let's not forget Bonhomme pronouced "bow nome", and Boehme "bow em". Along with Nguyen "win" not "na guy in."

In Austin they call Ceasar Chavez "Ceesar" not "say-zar" like he owned Little Ceasars or something or invented the ceasar salad. I never did get that. At least in San Antonio they pronounced Ceasar "say-zar" unless they are talking about Little's Ceasars in that case the locals call it LC's, and TC for Taco Cabana.

Scout said:
The problem with KTRH's new commitment to local news ( :D) is I don't really think it's local. The anchors mispronounce words like Bissonnet and Conroe and I heard one aanchor say that Houston is in Harrison County. ??? I've heard John Wesley Downey do overnight traffic on WOAI in San Antonio, so I assume KTRH's new overnight news anchors are from somewhere else other than Houston.

I heard them call Bexar "bear" County, Bexar "becksar" on WOAI before.

So, if the locals refer to Little Caesar's as "LC" and Taco Cabana as "TC," then what do they call "Boston Market"? ::)

AirUpThere said:
...KTRH is at a huge disadvantage because... KTRH has no FM translator. (Don't give me this "we're on HD". Nobody cares yet)...

FIFY. ;D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom