• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

songs that mention other groups

Dave Andrews

Frequent Participant
Cheap Trick "Surrender" :
"Got my KISS records out"

New Radicals "You Get What You Give":
"With the aid of 8 dust brothers Beck, Hanson
Courtney Love and Marilyn Manson"

John Kilzer "Red Blue Jeans":
"She's got Stalin on a wall, Beatles in a box..."

Stephen Bishop "On and On":
"puts on Sinatra and starts to cry"

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Sweet Home Alabama

Well I heard mister Young sing about her
Well, I heard ole Neil put her down
Well, I hope Neil Young will remember
A Southern man don't need him around anyhow

"I Dig Rock 'n' Roll Music" by Peter, Paul & Mary---

mentions Donovan and also Mamas & Papas, and also imitates them!

cd

Nightshift - Commodores

(Jackie and Marvin are mentioned)

cd637299 said:
"I Dig Rock 'n' Roll Music" by Peter, Paul & Mary---

mentions Donovan and also Mamas & Papas, and also imitates them!

cd

REM's "Man In the Moon" mentions Elvis, and at one point imitates him.

"Life Is A Rock (But The Radio Rolled me)" -Reunion (TOO many to list here!)
"R.O.C.K. In The U.S.A." - John Mellencamp (all his fav-o-rites!)

Omadhaun said:
"Life Is A Rock (But The Radio Rolled me)" -Reunion (TOO many to list here!)
"Life Is a Rock" also reminds me of Billy Joel's "We Didn't Start the Fire" in which he mentions Johnny Ray, Elvis Presley, and the Beatles. There may be others.

Country Singer Patty Loveless, "You're All I Think About These Days"... Mention's Elvis.

I believe country singers mention other artists more frequently than pop & rock singers... Waylon Jennings mentioned Willy Nelson, TomPall Glazer, & Bob Wills... George Jones mentioned a host of then-contemporary country brethren in his "Who's Gonna Fill Their Shoes?"... Tex Ritter sang a song (Cowboy Heaven?) about dreaming he met his country idols in heaven, naming every one of them... Even George Burns did a country parody, asking Willie to "...sing a song with me". Not sure, but I think it was a cut from his "18 Again" album.

Mott The Hoople - All The Young Dudes
"Oh man I need TV when I got T. Rex"

American Pie alludes to a few.

Wow...."Life Is a Rock"....we have a thread winnerrrrrrrrrrrr! :)

cd

Silkie said:
Mott The Hoople - All The Young Dudes
"Oh man I need TV when I got T. Rex"

American Pie alludes to a few.

Y'know, now that you mention T. Rex, I just remembered The Who's "You Better You Bet", ehich also mentions him.

firepoint525 said:
"Rock and Roll Heaven" by the Righteous Brothers mentions quite a few. Also, they did an updated version that mentioned those who have died since the first one was recorded.

Irony of ironies-- Bobby Hatfield... R I P

"Never Been To Spain" - Three Dog Night, mentions The Beatles ("I've never been to England, but I kinda like The Beatles".)
Or, to digress a bit, how about the oldie that mentions the name of an astronaut? "Mustang Sally" - Wilson Pickett ("ride, Sally Ride").

ABC, "When Smokey Sings," a tribute to Smokey Robinson. In ABC's "The Look of Love," the lead singer, Martin Fry, mentions himself by name. "Ah, Martin, maybe one day, you'll find true love." Interesting, given that neither he nor the group were very well known at the time, since "Look of Love" was their first hit.

As for mentioning other members of your own band, John Lennon did that on the Beatles' "Glass Onion" in which he sang, "here's another clue for you all, the walrus was Paul."

I Hear You Knockin' - Dave Edmunds

Smiley Lewis, Huey Smith

Omadhaun said:
"Never Been To Spain" - Three Dog Night, mentions The Beatles ("I've never been to England, but I kinda like The Beatles".)
Or, to digress a bit, how about the oldie that mentions the name of an astronaut? "Mustang Sally" - Wilson Pickett ("ride, Sally Ride").

I trust your mention of Sally was a tongue-in-cheek offering. Pickett first hook-phrased "Ride Sally ride" when Sally R. was in middle-school.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom