• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Past Hot AC Stations you miss

Max 95.7 WXXM- Philadelphia was fun while it battled Y100.

Y102 WRFY in Reading, PA was an interesting Hot AC before morphing into the Rock Hits/Adult Hits they are now.

MP103 WWMP- Burlington, VT was the same. A good hot AC before morphing into Adult Hits.

Q101 in Chicago before it's Alternative days. Mainly from about 1985 to early 1991. A great morning show with Robert Murphy (who's back in Chicago now on WILV), and one of the earliest Hot AC/Adult CHR stations in the country. They made Hot AC fashonable long before the format came into existence.

WKTI in Milwaukee. A great Hot AC station that had evolved from a Top 40 format around 1991. One of the earlier Hot AC (or Adult leaning CHR's), and a station that was about as early on new music as any other Hot AC in the country at that time. They gradually became Modern leaning in the mid 90's, then mainstream leaning again by the early 00's. Though they became a bit tight on their music during their final years, it still was a great station to listen to before their flip to Adult Hits a few years ago.

Star 100.7 San Diego. I moved from San Diego before they flipped to Jack, but I thought it was a really good station. It was also a rather unpredictable station too, since they could play a song at any moment that was like, wtf?

I also liked 88.7 the Mix in Windsor, Ontario (now 88X).

the golden boy said:
Star 100.7 San Diego. I moved from San Diego before they flipped to Jack, but I thought it was a really good station. It was also a rather unpredictable station too, since they could play a song at any moment that was like, wtf?

I also liked 88.7 the Mix in Windsor, Ontario (now 88X).

I will agree on Star 100.7. A bit unpredictable at times with their music, but that was part of its charm. They were one of the first Modern ACs in the mid 90s, though Star 98.7/LA and Alice 106/Denver might have been slightly ahead of them.

Back in the mid-80's, I think Magic-96 in Birmingham was one of the first hot ac's. They would go as far as playing "I Didn't Mean To Turn You On' by Robert Palmer, but steered clear from songs as hard as "You Give Love A Bad Name" by Bon Jovi. At the time, Magic was very competitive with I-95 and Kix-106 (94.5 and 106.9 now both sports and classic hits). It used to beam all the way up to southern TN where I was at the time as did many of the B'ham stations. I can't remember what all else they played but were a lot better then than they are today.

Here's what I miss:

WDVD Detroit from 2001-circa 2007-They had a great variety of music (lots of rock and alternative) as well as some pop from the 80s. WDVD is still active, but now as an Adult CHR.
WKQI Detroit as Q95-5 in the mid to late 90s-They too were an Adult CHR during this time, playing Adult-leaning artists of the day such as Alanis Morrisette, Jewel, Sarah McLachlan, and the Cranberries. They also had 80s music, like Bon Jovi, Phil Collins, and Michael Jackson in their playlist. They are now a rhythmic CHR known as "Channel 9-5-5", which they have been since 2002.

I missed the old days of KDMX Mix 102.9. It was the first and only Hot AC station I listened to in the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex during the late 1990s. Since the late 2000s into the early 2010s, it has veered way off course and changed to Adult Top 40 as "102.9 Now"...which failed, so they quietly switched back to Hot AC while maintaining its current branding.

Someone else mentioned Q101 (WKQX) Chicago prior to 1991. I also miss that station

I also miss WPNT Chicago. Though some people say it was AC, it usually played very upbeat music to be AC, & I usually had to listen to this station after B96 went dance, & WYTZ dropped top 40 for a simulcast of WLS-AM. It's anyone's guess what 100.3 would have been, had Bonneville International not bought WPNT Chicago. They changed the playlist to AC (what you think of AC from the 90's) & changed the call letters to WNND. It was ok, but WPNT to me was the best. I didn't care that much for WTMX back then.

Q101 in Chicago before it's Alternative days. Mainly from about 1985 to early 1991. A great morning show with Robert Murphy (who's back in Chicago now on WILV), and one of the earliest Hot AC/Adult CHR stations in the country. They made Hot AC fashonable long before the format came into existence.
I never listened to him but I heard about him. He was on WAYS and WROQ in Charlotte. I suppose WAYS would fit this topic because, while the term "Hot AC" didn't exist, it was the legendary Top 40 station back then, and yet The Charlotte Observer for some odd reason classified it as adult contemporary. Same for WBCY, which was similar but was promoting itself at the time as a more easy-going alternative to the hard rockers. WBCY is now called WLNK "The Link", but it has mostly stayed in that range of formats between Hot AC and Adult CHR.

During those WAYS/WROQ days (WROQ was album rock except for the morning show) I remember a commercial with a naked woman in bed, and Murphy yelled to her from her radio, "What have you got on?" Then he finished his sentence with "your mind?" This caused her to sit up in bed startled, grabbing her sheet so she wouldn't show anything we shouldn't see.

Hot AC stations I miss

My nominees:
--"B99" WHFB-FM from Benton Harbor / St. Joseph, MI (since being sold & being transformed into a South Bend-focused station, it has consistently languished near the bottom of the ratings)
--92.5 WDEK, Dekalb, Illinois
--"Star 105" WWWM-FM Toledo from the late 90's thru mid 2K's (Unfortunately, Cumulus has mismanaged this station in recent years. About 2 years ago, they flipped it to CHR/Pop, only to get killed by WVKS in the ratings. In recent weeks, Cumulus has evolved the playlist into more of an Adult CHR sound).
--Mix 107.3 WRQX in Washington: Yet another station Cumulus has ruined. Didn't sound that great during its last year or two under Disney/ABC ownership, either, but after a not-so-successful fling with a hybrid Hot AC / Variety Hits sound, the station got its footing back (only to have Cumulus trash it several years later).

My nominees:
--"Star 105" WWWM-FM Toledo from the late 90's thru mid 2K's (Unfortunately, Cumulus has mismanaged this station in recent years. About 2 years ago, they flipped it to CHR/Pop, only to get killed by WVKS in the ratings. In recent weeks, Cumulus has evolved the playlist into more of an Adult CHR sound).
--Mix 107.3 WRQX in Washington: Yet another station Cumulus has ruined. Didn't sound that great during its last year or two under Disney/ABC ownership, either, but after a not-so-successful fling with a hybrid Hot AC / Variety Hits sound, the station got its footing back (only to have Cumulus trash it several years later).
Come-in-last seems to have a talent for destroying every station that they get their hands on. They did likewise with Star 97 here in Nashville (early 2000s). There are still those here in Nashville who claim that we cannot support a hot AC station, but it has never been tried on a strong enough signal, hosted by a corporation committed to actually supporting it! So self-fulfilling prophecies do not count.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom