• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Online radio listening posts..

Wow! I'm impressed!

First of all, it's been at least four years, but it still had my id and password in memory!

Then there's the lineup of stations I snagged on the northern Ireland receiver.

The big surprise was WWL...all alone (although it faded a few times). Positive WWL ID too! Others included CFMZ, WABC, WINS, KDKA, WBZ (weak but definite), WTIC, WTAM, KMOX, and WBBR...which as expected was the strongest. I also heard NFL talk on 1150, but couldn't ID. Any ideas?

cyberdad said:
Wow! I'm impressed!

First of all, it's been at least four years, but it still had my id and password in memory!

Then there's the lineup of stations I snagged on the northern Ireland receiver.

The big surprise was WWL...all alone (although it faded a few times). Positive WWL ID too! Others included CFMZ, WABC, WINS, KDKA, WBZ (weak but definite), WTIC, WTAM, KMOX, and WBBR...which as expected was the strongest. I also heard NFL talk on 1150, but couldn't ID. Any ideas?

I thought I had WWL once on that receiver, but wasn't sure. I heard KDKA the other night, but I still haven't snagged WBZ. Many have heard it but not me.

Remember, WBZ, although licensed for ND, doesn't do it; they are happy to send their signal along the Atlantic seaboard.

cd

cd637299 said:
Remember, WBZ, although licensed for ND, doesn't do it; they are happy to send their signal along the Atlantic seaboard.

cd

Actually WBZ sends more of it's signal westward. I believe I just heard them on Atlantic DX. Also strong WFAN and CFTR very strong. Also caught KMOX a first for me on this receiver and confirmed KDKA tonight.

CFTR reception is strictly over-the-Pole, no? I think that's their array....

cd

Am hearing the following tonight from Northern Ireland (around 0700 GMT)

680 CFTR Toronto
1000 WMVP Chicago (good)
740 CFZM Toronto (fair)
1130 WBBR New York (huge)
1510 what I believe is WWZN Boston (poor/fair in 1512 slop)
660 WFAN New York (good)
1120 KMOX (weak, lots of slop from either 1116 or 1125)
780 WBBM Chicago, IL (fair)
830 weak station could be WCRN or WCCO
870 what I believe is a weak WWL
1180 Radio Marti, Florida (SS station and mentions of Florida), also some WHAM as well
1190 WLIB New York City (very weak with black gospel, also slop from 1188)
1610 Caribbean Beacon, Anguilla (weak with Dr. Gene Scott)
1400 BIG graveyard mess (a few talk stations in there, also some music, pretty much a low rumble)

-crainbebo

cd637299 said:
CFTR reception is strictly over-the-Pole, no? I think that's their array....

cd

According to Radio Locator it's Northeast, but a nice short route to Europe. Many nights they are very strong over there.

I'm still trying to figure out what I was hearing on 1150 last night. NFL sports talk...fair signal. I was trying for CKOC, but no trace of that.

As for WWL, unless last night was totally atypical, I'd suggest you guys keep after it. The channel was pretty empty and noise free. Basically WWL or nothing....and there were a couple of relatively long stretches of nothing. When I first tried it around 9pm CST (0300 UTC), it was blasting in. I couldn't ID it however because of the program host's babbling monologue. Eventually it faded completely. I hung around for a few minutes, but it didn't really come back. Then I tried about 15 minutes later and it was back. Not as strong as before, but still very listenable. This time I got a couple of WWL call letter IDs.

And nicely done Crainbebo with your list. I tried the Chicago blowtorches with no apparent success. 670 was slop...although mostly weak. 720 was BBC. 780 was some sort of tropical instrumental music. 890 was pretty much blank. I thought I might have heard WMVP in the mix on 1000, perhaps even along with XEOY. But it was all pretty weak and basically unintelligible.

I also thought WGY might be worth a shot on 810, but what I got instead was BBC....presumably their Scotland blowtorch. Similar result when I tried WBAL on 1090, but wound up with London's 1089 sports talk.

Looking forward to my next visit to the site!

!!!

Between midnight & 1 am EST, WDEL 1150 Wilmington DE has 1 hour of Yahoo Sports Talk!! No 100%-sports stations on 1150 would make it across the pond if you ask me. Listen for "Yahoo" next time; coulda been them! Thanks Radio-Locator.

EDIT: Signal at night goes south----but what else could it be?

Was it indeed during the time I listed?

cd

You never know what you'll hear, CD, even with seemingly contradictory directional patterns!

This wasn't on one of the online listening sites, but several nights ago on 910 I heard Salt Lake City's Radio Disney outlet KWDZ here just south of El Cajon, CA.  Thing is, that SLC station is only 1 kW at night with a null toward me, AND I have a local 5kW co-channel, KECR (Harold Camping's Family Radio), 9 miles north of me on almost the same heading with a directional antenna aimed almost right toward me, and KECR WAS on the air at the time. :)  This was heard with a Sony SRF-59 and Select-A-Tenna.  One thing I probably should mention ... I had to catch KWDZ in between breaks in KECR's programming, and KECR was having automation / network synchronization / dead air issues that night (Thanksgiving weekend).  (I also know of someone who picked up KECR in Oklahoma several months ago, even though virtually all their 5 kW is aimed southwest.)

cyberdad said:
I'm still trying to figure out what I was hearing on 1150 last night. NFL sports talk...fair signal. I was trying for CKOC, but no trace of that.

As for WWL, unless last night was totally atypical, I'd suggest you guys keep after it. The channel was pretty empty and noise free. Basically WWL or nothing....and there were a couple of relatively long stretches of nothing. When I first tried it around 9pm CST (0300 UTC), it was blasting in. I couldn't ID it however because of the program host's babbling monologue. Eventually it faded completely. I hung around for a few minutes, but it didn't really come back. Then I tried about 15 minutes later and it was back. Not as strong as before, but still very listenable. This time I got a couple of WWL call letter IDs.

And nicely done Crainbebo with your list. I tried the Chicago blowtorches with no apparent success. 670 was slop...although mostly weak. 720 was BBC. 780 was some sort of tropical instrumental music. 890 was pretty much blank. I thought I might have heard WMVP in the mix on 1000, perhaps even along with XEOY. But it was all pretty weak and basically unintelligible.

I also thought WGY might be worth a shot on 810, but what I got instead was BBC....presumably their Scotland blowtorch. Similar result when I tried WBAL on 1090, but wound up with London's 1089 sports talk.

Looking forward to my next visit to the site!

Good job Cyberdad with WWL. As far as the Chicago stations go, keep trying for WBBM--that is the easiest to get although on certain nights WLS makes it through the noise on 890. BBM is the most consistent of the Chicago stations. WGN is impossiible because of the BBC and WSCR I only heard once & very weak. IMO, don't even try for SCR unless you find a night where WBBM & or WLS are coming through well. WMVP does make it through on good nights. I did catch a weak WBZ last night. No ID, but I matched what I was hearing on Global Tuners to my radio reception of it.
On 680 I was originally trying for WRKO, but I've never heard it, only CFTR.

You never know what you may hear on a given night. Some nights WABC is good on 770 and other nights I get a Spanish language station. Some nights on 1010 it's WINS, some nights it's CFRB, and other nights it's neither.

Happy hunting!

cd637299 said:
!!!

Between midnight & 1 am EST, WDEL 1150 Wilmington DE has 1 hour of Yahoo Sports Talk!! No 100%-sports stations on 1150 would make it across the pond if you ask me. Listen for "Yahoo" next time; coulda been them! Thanks Radio-Locator.

EDIT: Signal at night goes south----but what else could it be?

Was it indeed during the time I listed?

cd

Thanks, CD. Always the chance that they (WDEL) weren't using their night pattern for whatever reason. This would have been about an hour after the listed conclusion of the sports talk, but who knows?

I was wondering if it might be WHBY from Appleton (Green Bay Area), Wisconsin. 25kw aimed northeast. Problem there is they're supposed to be carrying George Noory. But again...who knows...NFL fever is rampant in that area. Perhaps a short feature drop- in? Still, I kind of doubt it was them.

radioman148 said:
Happy hunting!

Thanks.  I think what I had last night was WRKO.  Not sure, however.  Reason being is whatever it was kept fading "in and out," and I never heard the "680 news" slogan that CFTR repeats very frequently.

Another oddity pertaining to Toronto was that I had a pretty decent signal from CFMZ, but CJBC....which is on the same stick...was absent.  I'd also think CHUM should be do-able.  They send a big lobe to the east-northeast.

cyberdad said:
radioman148 said:
Happy hunting!

Thanks. I think what I had last night was WRKO. Not sure, however. Reason being is whatever it was kept fading "in and out," and I never heard the "680 news" slogan that CFTR repeats very frequently.

Another oddity pertaining to Toronto was that I had a pretty decent signal from CFMZ, but CJBC....which is on the same stick...was absent. I'd also think CHUM should be do-able. They send a big lobe to the east-northeast.

I've tried for CHUM and WEPN on 1050, but haven't had any luck. All I usually hear on 1050 is lots of noise. The "680 news" slogan is exactly how I've ID'd CFTR along with the traffic reports that they give often. Some nights CFTR comes in almost as strong as WBBR.

As to the 1150, try again tonight. WDEL, at the time that was mentioned monitoring, likely wasn't the one; I believe that WDEL, like WHBY, run C2C.

I'd think that CKOC would be the dominant one, if any----but they don't have sports talk AFAIK. I heard it from the NC OBX in late 1997.

cd

Cyberdad--your 1150 appears to be WDEL as I was just listening to the Cowboys & Buccaneers game on that frequency and that matches WDEL's webstream. More shocking to me was when I tuned into 1080 expecting to hear WTIC, but instead heard KRLD also broadcasting the Cowboys game.
Heard another new one--WCRN on 830.
All of this was between 9PM & 9:30 CST.

Am hearing the following tonight, excellent conditions and many regional channels messy (Northern Ireland)

570 Radio Reloj (CMDC Cuba), fair with RR code, also several other stations in the slop
590 VOCM St. Johns, NL (BIG signal with C&W christmas music, nothing else heard)
600 unid talk station, likely CBNA-Newfoundland (10kw)
680 CFTR Toronto (fair)
810 BBC Scotland only, no WGY or CJVA
1150 WHBY Kimberly, WI (heard ad with 920 area code)
1180 WHAM Rochester, NY (fair)

-crainbebo

crainbebo said:
Am hearing the following tonight, excellent conditions and many regional channels messy (Northern Ireland)

570 Radio Reloj (CMDC Cuba), fair with RR code, also several other stations in the slop
590 VOCM St. Johns, NL (BIG signal with C&W christmas music, nothing else heard)
600 unid talk station, likely CBNA-Newfoundland (10kw)
680 CFTR Toronto (fair)
810 BBC Scotland only, no WGY or CJVA
1150 WHBY Kimberly, WI (heard ad with 920 area code)
1180 WHAM Rochester, NY (fair)

-crainbebo

Well Crainbebo thanks to your post I snagged VOCM and you are right the signal was very good. I tried 1150 again and one of the stations I heard matched the webstream of WHBY. Now I'm even more confused as to what Cyberdad heard. Finally got WWL in the clear at 0706 UTC. Heard two stations on 1170, Not sure what they were maybe WWVA? Tonight WINS beat CFRB, next time who knows?
Went after some LW and heard Iceland very strong on 189. Also, France on 162, and Germany on 183.

Well, I'm not sure about what I heard a few nights ago....but last night definitely turned out to be WHBY.

I went to the webstream and got the loop saying that the current program being broadcast could not be streamed for contractual reasons. Lead me to believe that WHBY was indeed carrying Cowboys-Bucs football. Then I turned on the SRF 37 Walkman, dialed up 1150, and wound up with nothing but CKOC. But wait a minute.... CKOC faded and in came WHBY with the football game I'd been listening to on Global Tuners. Then came a positive ID.

Mystery solved....at least for last night (Saturday night).

cyberdad said:
Well, I'm not sure about what I heard a few nights ago....but last night definitely turned out to be WHBY.

I went to the webstream and got the loop saying that the current program being broadcast could not be streamed for contractual reasons. Lead me to believe that WHBY was indeed carrying Cowboys-Bucs football. Then I turned on the SRF 37 Walkman, dialed up 1150, and wound up with nothing but CKOC. But wait a minute.... CKOC faded and in came WHBY with the football game I'd been listening to on Global Tuners. Then came a positive ID.

Mystery solved....at least for last night (Saturday night).

Well we've established that WHBY makes it over to Europe, but I wonder what else is on 1150. There is at least one other station in there.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom