• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Online radio listening posts..

Using one of the DX tuners in the UK tonight netted some good DX from North America. Strong signals coming from Toronto tonight
as CFTR coming through better than I previously heard it. Also in there was CFRB coming over WINS which is usually dominant on 1010.
WWKB was in well & WLS in briefly on the up swings. As always WBBR was the strongest TA again.

The X-Band can net some fantastic catches! Try for these if you have a chance

1620 Radio Rebelde Cuba
1650 WHKT Portsmouth, VA
1660 WWRU Jersey City, NJ
1680 WTTM Lindenwold, NJ
1690 WPTX Lexington Park, MD
1700 KVNS Brownsville, TX
1700 WEUP Huntsville, AL

-crainbebo

crainbebo said:
The X-Band can net some fantastic catches! Try for these if you have a chance

1620 Radio Rebelde Cuba
1650 WHKT Portsmouth, VA
1660 WWRU Jersey City, NJ
1680 WTTM Lindenwold, NJ
1690 WPTX Lexington Park, MD
1700 KVNS Brownsville, TX
1700 WEUP Huntsville, AL

-crainbebo

I have tried the X band but so far all I've heard are other Europeans. I didn't even know Europe used those frequencies. I was trying for KVNS because I know it's been received there. I'll try again soon.

Curious if the Cuban 530 makes it over there.

I've gotta say, your reports have re-generated my interest in getting back on with the remote tuners.
I'm in my busy time of year with another couple of weeks of that still to go, but once things quiet down for me by Mid-December, I think I'll get back into it.

Trying the Northern Ireland Receiver. Using a local receiver to verify the broadcast is easy since there is a delay you'll hear the same thing on the online receiver that you just heard locally.

NYC Comes in Great:

WQEW 1560
WBBR 1130
WINS 1010
WCBS 880
WFAN 660

Also Logged:

WWKB 1520
WBT 1110
WFED 1500
WJR 760
WBZ 1030
CKDO 1580

530 sounds like a European station. I haven't got a station ID but it is playing British rock at the moment with a good signal.

1700 is very quiet but I was able to match the audio with the sports commentary being played on KVNS webstream which is amazing considering they only run 880 watts at night.
1690 matches CHTO's webstream but then faded out.
1670 matches CJEU's webstream, quiet but audible with French rock.
1620 matches Radio Rebelde webstream as well as 1180.
1610 has a religious program in English (sounds US English but can't verify) with CHHA mixing in background, matches webstream.

The 1610 religious might be the Caribbean Beacon out of Anguila. Or Vatican Radio does some EE programs on 1611...

Your 530 is a EU on 531 out of somewhere.

-crainbebo

spunker88 said:
Trying the Northern Ireland Receiver. Using a local receiver to verify the broadcast is easy since there is a delay you'll hear the same thing on the online receiver that you just heard locally.

NYC Comes in Great:

WQEW 1560
WBBR 1130
WINS 1010
WCBS 880
WFAN 660

Also Logged:

WWKB 1520
WBT 1110
WFED 1500
WJR 760
WBZ 1030
CKDO 1580

530 sounds like a European station. I haven't got a station ID but it is playing British rock at the moment with a good signal.

1700 is very quiet but I was able to match the audio with the sports commentary being played on KVNS webstream which is amazing considering they only run 880 watts at night.
1690 matches CHTO's webstream but then faded out.
1670 matches CJEU's webstream, quiet but audible with French rock.
1620 matches Radio Rebelde webstream as well as 1180.
1610 has a religious program in English (sounds US English but can't verify) with CHHA mixing in background, matches webstream.

Conditions late tonight on the same receiver were not as good for me. Got CFTR, WBBR, WCBS, WWKB, but not much else. Possibly WLS, but not as strong as last night. Never got WQEW, WBZ, WFED, or WJR. I'll have to work on those.

This is my first attempt to use Globaltuners, as I set it to Grand Junction, CO this morning. Listening in on medium wave AM when it was around 6 AM Mountain time, I heard the Indian chanting on KTNN 660, ESPN 680 (KNBR?), WCCO, and many yet IDs. I also heard the Christmas song "Joy to the World" clearly on 880, wonder if that is KRVN...EZ vocals on 760 not in English. Didn't spend much time on Globaltuners as I had to do some other things at home...Oh, yeah, WBAP came in pretty well "here" in western CO. KOKC weaker. This was between 7:30 and 8 EST.

cyberdad said:
Curious if the Cuban 530 makes it over there.

I've gotta say, your reports have re-generated my interest in getting back on with the remote tuners.
I'm in my busy time of year with another couple of weeks of that still to go, but once things quiet down for me by Mid-December, I think I'll get back into it.

There is a European station on 530. Haven't ID'd it yet. They play pop music.

Grand Junction nights can sometimes have a lot of SSers; have heard one UNID on 1000 occasionally that's SS, also I think have heard KOMO as well at times. Farthest I've logged was CJCA 930 Edmonton, AB at least 1000 miles.

-crainbebo

Am hearing the following tonight on the Northern Ireland node (this is around 0430-0500 UTC)

1130 WBBR (quite strong)
1520 WWKB Buffalo (fair)
680 very weak station (maybe CFTR)
880 WCBS NYC
660 WFAN NYC (alone, no interference)
1110 very weak WBT Charlotte (lots of interference)
1700 KVNS Brownsville, TX (weak but heard ID 1700 KVNS, 880w!)
1610 Caribbean Beacon (fair, with second station in the background likely CHHA-ON)
1180 Cuba
Threshold 1120 (KMOX?)
1190 mix of two stations, talk and commercials, maybe WLIB is one
GY mess on 1230, oldies on top but no ID, too weak

-crainbebo

Several new ones for me tonight on the Northern Ireland receiver. I heard WFAN, WJR, WABC, & WBT. WJR was very solid & surprisingly strong. WABC also in well. Thought I may have had WBBM, but too weak to confirm. Listened on 1700 but couldn't decipher anything definite. Doubt it was KVNS since I heard voice & no music. Very weak.
All listening done between 0530--0610 UTC.

I'm on the Karratha, Western Australia (Testing) node right now, and on 760 kHz I think I'm hearing traces of what may be a very faint KFMB from San Diego (which is a local station for me). I haven't tried much in the way of others yet though.

Heard several new ones on Atlantic DX from Northern Ireland tonight.
WBBM, WMVP, & WTAM all new for me on this receiver. WLS was in also for a total of three Chicago stations.
WBBM was the best of the Chicago's with a clear signal. WMVP barely made it above the noise & there was lots of noise on 1000.
CFRB and WINS fighting it out on 1010 with CFRB usually on top.

Tried for WBZ as several people have said they've heard it but no luck for me. I got a pop music station on 1030--don't know where that is from. Also tried for WOR, but 710 has another station in a language I can't understand.
Listened on 1700 for KVNS, but all I heard was talk, but too weak for me to understand.

All this between 0500 and 0600 UTC.

Conditions on the Northern Ireland Global Tuner has been a bit different lately. I've actually been hearing midwest stations better
than most of the east coast signals.
Tonight WBBM was the strongest signal from North America. WBBR which is usually the strongest had quite a bit of competition on 1130. Not sure from where. WFAN was the next best signal. WLS was also in, but noisy. For the first time I briefly heard WSCR on a crowded 670. No WABC as a Spanish language station dominated 770. WCBS was in briefly & weak. Also CFTR was in some clutter on 680. No WJR tonight.
Very surprised by the strength of WBBM. You just don't know which North American stations may dominate on a given night.

I recently joined that site.

Question:

Are some locations (like N Ireland) just plain better than others on these tuners? I seem to have picked some duds out there!!

I know, it certainly depends on the antenna.

I wish there was a Bermuda radio on the site! I'd accept Hawaii too.

@Radioman: I wonder if the 1700 is my own local WJCC with Haitian/Creole. :) I did catch them when I was in Bermuda; they were English "Planet 17" then.

cd

cd637299 said:
I recently joined that site.

Question:

Are some locations (like N Ireland) just plain better than others on these tuners? I seem to have picked some duds out there!!

I know, it certainly depends on the antenna.

I wish there was a Bermuda radio on the site! I'd accept Hawaii too.

@Radioman: I wonder if the 1700 is my own local WJCC with Haitian/Creole. :) I did catch them when I was in Bermuda; they were English "Planet 17" then.

cd

I've found that the Northern Ireland location, "Atlantic DX" is best for DXing North America. They have a loop antenna aimed this way.
Most of the others don't have that advantage although last year I did find one in Wales which picked up a few of the East coast stations.

I haven't been able to decipher what is on 1700. I don't think I have heard KVNS like others have. What I have heard is talk, but not strong enough to identify.

I badly want to sign up at the global tuners site because it seems like a DXer's dream come true but I read the disclaimer saying how it can be an offense in some countries to listen to certain frequencies if you're not licensed to do so.

If you only listen to medium wave, is it anything to worry about?

And can one accidently tune to one of those unauthorized frequencies?

gar fla said:
I badly want to sign up at the global tuners site because it seems like a DXer's dream come true but I read the disclaimer saying how it can be an offense in some countries to listen to certain frequencies if you're not licensed to do so.

If you only listen to medium wave, is it anything to worry about?

And can one accidently tune to one of those unauthorized frequencies?

I've never had a problem.

The talk might be KKLF, but I'm not sure.

Would like to see an FM DX Global Tuners node somewhere in the Northwest soon. Or, an LW/MW/HF radio anywhere in the Pacific Northwest would be nice (there used to be one, Pacific DX in Toledo, WA but the site op moved to Indiana, and has no node anymore)

-crainbebo

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom