When is it too early for Christmas music? - Page 3
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: When is it too early for Christmas music?

Re: When is it too early for Christmas music?

Fortunately, here in Nashville, we have only one AC station, so when they change, I will just take them out of my presets. Of course, being the only AC in town, all the fans of Christmas music will naturally converge on them, which is what drives up their ratings. They have no competition when it comes to playing Christmas music. Let's hope it stays that way. I believe that their changeover is usually right before Thanksgiving, coinciding with when Delilah changes over.

i dont see as many stations going all christmas this year

but we will revisit this thread the first week of november

Either we won't have many, or there will be a few extras who play it so that anyone who still has two nickels to rub together, after providing for staying above water, will shop even a little bit.
    No irony there.

I'm fairly certain that retailers probably aren't thinking about Christmas just yet. Wholesalers probably are, but they tend to run a season ahead of most of the rest of us. Stores here have halloween candy (and other assorted halloween stuff) on the shelves right now, have had since Labor Day (or even shortly before!), and probably will until right before Halloween, when they start marking all that stuff down so they can move it out to make room for Christmas stuff.

Fortunately, since there's only one AC here in Nashville, I likely won't get hit with all-Christmas all the time until Thanksgiving week. (And I think they even promoted it a few days ahead of time, sort of a "heads up" to me to go ahead and take them out of the presets!) If memory serves, they actually didn't change over as early last year as they did two years ago (around November 21st two years ago, right around Thanksgiving last year).

imhomerjay

Retailers most assuredly are thinking about Christmas. The inventory is piling in, plans are in place, and it will all be ready to go soon.

Some places already have started sprinkling Christmas in here and there.
    No irony there.

WYJB, the local AC station here, has never gone all-Christmas before here in Albany (aside from Christmas Eve and Day), but now I have the feeling that this year might be their first time (last year, Pamal Broadcasting flipped WROW rather than WYJB)...

Wonder if Fresh 100.3 (ex-WNIC) in Detroit will skip Christmas and just sprinkle in the occasional Christmas track this year? Hot ACs shouldn't go Christmas if you ask me

Quote Originally Posted by danikayser84
    WYJB, the local AC station here, has never gone all-Christmas before here in Albany (aside from Christmas Eve and Day), but now I have the feeling that this year might be their first time (last year, Pamal Broadcasting flipped WROW rather than WYJB)...

Wonder if Fresh 100.3 (ex-WNIC) in Detroit will skip Christmas and just sprinkle in the occasional Christmas track this year? Hot ACs shouldn't go Christmas if you ask me
    YJB would be smart to flip. I agree on Hot AC-----No Christmas

Like it or not, Christmas music has fans. When many people are disgusted by it and tuning it out, others are tuning in. That said, it should not start before Thanksgiving. While I personally like Christmas music, I don't want to hear it until Black Friday at the earliest. I guess by flipping early however, stations can establish their identity as THE Christmas music station, so that by the time more people are ready for it they will automatically tune into whatever station flips first. Thats my opinion on the matter.

imhomerjay

But, also a "like it or not" scenario (and I don't, but c'est la vie), Christmas music pre-Thanksgiving also has many fans. If the issue is, as it should be, the bottom line, then we segmenting based on personal preference isn't the yardstick by which to measure; it's the point at which you gain more than you lose with your audience.

In some cases, I'm sure there is an advantage to being first to go, but there are cases----cough, WBEB in Philly, cough---where stations that went first, while improving, still got their clock cleaned by the later-moving station(s).

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast