• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

When is it too early for Christmas music?

crainbebo said:
Back to the main topic: anytime before the arrival of Santa Claus on the Macy's Parade. THAT'S what kicks off the X-Mas season, as well as the long lines at 3am at Target on Black Friday. -crainbebo
Those were the old days. Now stores are open on Thanksgiving! :mad: Whatever happened to allowing people to be with their families on Thanksgiving? Oh, yeah, the almighty dollar is more important! ::)

If part of your programming strategy is to be the "All Christmas Station then you need to make the move that'll give you the most bang. It's market dependent. If you have the franchise to yourself, you can probably get away with "around Thanksgiving". For those markets that are still "diary" based, when the fall book ends, usually during the second week of December, you need three, preferably four weeks of Christmas programming to get the ratings boost you want.

In PPM markets, where you are rated the entire month of December, waiting to Thanksgiving is the best strategy.

There are no ratings to be had by playing Christmas music in October. Even the first two weeks of November is really pushing it.

Respect Monster Mash, Thriller, and Ghostbusters please.

firepoint525 said:
crainbebo said:
Back to the main topic: anytime before the arrival of Santa Claus on the Macy's Parade. THAT'S what kicks off the X-Mas season, as well as the long lines at 3am at Target on Black Friday. -crainbebo
Those were the old days. Now stores are open on Thanksgiving! :mad: Whatever happened to allowing people to be with their families on Thanksgiving? Oh, yeah, the almighty dollar is more important! ::)

Even worse, I think Toys R Us opened on Thanksgiving NIGHT! (About 10pm or so, IIRC)

-crainbebo

crainbebo said:
firepoint525 said:
crainbebo said:
Even worse, I think Toys R Us opened on Thanksgiving NIGHT! (About 10pm or so, IIRC)-crainbebo
At least they would still get to enjoy Thanksgiving dinner with their families, although they might need to catch a nap afterward before going in to work that evening. ;)

crainbebo said:
Back to the main topic: anytime before the arrival of Santa Claus on the Macy's Parade. THAT'S what kicks off the X-Mas season, as well as the long lines at 3am at Target on Black Friday.

Agreed 110%....and as for retailers opening up on Thanksgiving Day....Bah Humbug to them...Will never patronize them on that day, no matter the specials.

They should just stick to 5am, Black Friday....period!

Around here, we still call the day after Thanksgiving "Buy Nothing" day.

In 2003, we did break down and buy the 1972 Dodge Dart on the day after, and I'm still a bit ashamed of that.

i`m just as likely to spend as much on black friday as i am on a regular friday.

Christmas music is nice for people who are making Christmas gifts too; and those who are making gifts usually have to start pretty early if they are to be finished in time to be wrapped...the gifts, not the people.

firepoint525 said:

Now? Kmart opened on Thanksgiving some 15+ years ago.

Business is business.

imhomerjay said:

Business is business.

Jeez...give their employees a break, what has gotten in to some corporate decisions. Rediculous!
If someone does not have the brains to shop BEFORE a holiday, instead of ON a holiday, then shame on them. Corporate greed! Wal-Mart is the same too.

I remember a time when stores were closed on Sundays and all holidays. Even gas stations.

The way I see it, you had 365 days to shop for the Thanksgiving or Christmas holiday, plenty of time.

imhomerjay said:
firepoint525 said:
Business is business.
Also note that K-mart began closing stores en masse about 15+ years ago. No K-marts within about 30-40 miles of me, and those just outside that radius are struggling.

Yeah, business is business, alright! ::)

firepoint525 said:
crainbebo said:
The last time I had a paying job, at a store sort of like Wal-Mart, I had to work on Thanksgiving but they were nice enough to let me off two hours early. I didn't know what to expect but I ate fast-food chicken for lunch. The poor guy was all alone because he hated to make people work on a holiday. I did find out they had turkey and dressing in the break room.

I came home to find my parents had gotten me turkey and dressing at K&W. It was so good that's where I've eaten Thanksgiving dinner ever since, if I did eat Thanksgiving dinner. This year I had turkey and dressing at K&W on Oct. 23. It's not as good as it once was.

firepoint525 said:
imhomerjay said:
firepoint525 said:
Business is business.
Also note that K-mart began closing stores en masse about 15+ years ago. No K-marts within about 30-40 miles of me, and those just outside that radius are struggling.

The financial struggles are far removed from being open on Thanksgiving.

imhomerjay said:
firepoint525 said:
imhomerjay said:
firepoint525 said:
Business is business.
The financial struggles are far removed from being open on Thanksgiving.
Yeah, 15+ years removed! :D

Poetic justice, I say!

Target opening at midnight, along with Macy's and others. Are we to believe it's somehow going to lead to mass closings? No. Call it anything that makes one feel better, but it doesn't make it so.

If customer demand is there to support the effort, and it clearly is at this point, then opening and keeping pace with your peers is the way to remain competitive. Capitalism beats the alternative, flaws or no flaws.

imhomerjay said:
Target opening at midnight, along with Macy's and others. Are we to believe it's somehow going to lead to mass closings? No. Call it anything that makes one feel better, but it doesn't make it so.
If customer demand is there to support the effort, and it clearly is at this point, then opening and keeping pace with your peers is the way to remain competitive. Capitalism beats the alternative, flaws or no flaws.
Well, as I said before (and you obviously weren't paying attention), I'm okay with opening at midnight or whatever (on black Friday) because it still allows employees to be home with their families on Thanksgiving. I worked overnights for years. Just glad that I don't have to, anymore.

I'm predicting that KVIL/Dallas will flip all-Christmas probably next Monday or at least somewhere next week. They flipped all-Christmas around mid-November over the past few years.

KMGL/Oklahoma City and KODA/Houston doesn't flip all-Christmas till Thanksgiving. Back then KVIL doesn't flip till Black Friday.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom