• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

When is it too early for Christmas music?

Fortunately, here in Nashville, we have only one AC station, so when they change, I will just take them out of my presets. Of course, being the only AC in town, all the fans of Christmas music will naturally converge on them, which is what drives up their ratings. They have no competition when it comes to playing Christmas music. Let's hope it stays that way. I believe that their changeover is usually right before Thanksgiving, coinciding with when Delilah changes over.

Either we won't have many, or there will be a few extras who play it so that anyone who still has two nickels to rub together, after providing for staying above water, will shop even a little bit.

I'm fairly certain that retailers probably aren't thinking about Christmas just yet. Wholesalers probably are, but they tend to run a season ahead of most of the rest of us. Stores here have halloween candy (and other assorted halloween stuff) on the shelves right now, have had since Labor Day (or even shortly before!), and probably will until right before Halloween, when they start marking all that stuff down so they can move it out to make room for Christmas stuff.

Fortunately, since there's only one AC here in Nashville, I likely won't get hit with all-Christmas all the time until Thanksgiving week. (And I think they even promoted it a few days ahead of time, sort of a "heads up" to me to go ahead and take them out of the presets!) If memory serves, they actually didn't change over as early last year as they did two years ago (around November 21st two years ago, right around Thanksgiving last year).

Retailers most assuredly are thinking about Christmas. The inventory is piling in, plans are in place, and it will all be ready to go soon.

Some places already have started sprinkling Christmas in here and there.

WYJB, the local AC station here, has never gone all-Christmas before here in Albany (aside from Christmas Eve and Day), but now I have the feeling that this year might be their first time (last year, Pamal Broadcasting flipped WROW rather than WYJB)...

Wonder if Fresh 100.3 (ex-WNIC) in Detroit will skip Christmas and just sprinkle in the occasional Christmas track this year? Hot ACs shouldn't go Christmas if you ask me :)

danikayser84 said:
WYJB, the local AC station here, has never gone all-Christmas before here in Albany (aside from Christmas Eve and Day), but now I have the feeling that this year might be their first time (last year, Pamal Broadcasting flipped WROW rather than WYJB)...

Wonder if Fresh 100.3 (ex-WNIC) in Detroit will skip Christmas and just sprinkle in the occasional Christmas track this year? Hot ACs shouldn't go Christmas if you ask me :)

YJB would be smart to flip. I agree on Hot AC-----No Christmas

Like it or not, Christmas music has fans. When many people are disgusted by it and tuning it out, others are tuning in. That said, it should not start before Thanksgiving. While I personally like Christmas music, I don't want to hear it until Black Friday at the earliest. I guess by flipping early however, stations can establish their identity as THE Christmas music station, so that by the time more people are ready for it they will automatically tune into whatever station flips first. Thats my opinion on the matter.

But, also a "like it or not" scenario (and I don't, but c'est la vie), Christmas music pre-Thanksgiving also has many fans. If the issue is, as it should be, the bottom line, then we segmenting based on personal preference isn't the yardstick by which to measure; it's the point at which you gain more than you lose with your audience.

In some cases, I'm sure there is an advantage to being first to go, but there are cases----cough, WBEB in Philly, cough---where stations that went first, while improving, still got their clock cleaned by the later-moving station(s).

I'll 3rd no Christmas on Hot AC. Hate it. I wouldn't put it past WNIC, though, since during the day at times they almost sound like an uptempo AC.

I believe WMYI here in Greenville is planning on doing it, but they have such a Hot AC lean that I don't think it will fit well...

We don't have a hot AC here in Nashville :'(, but in addition to our AC, the Christian station also goes all-Christmas. Worth pointing out because the Christian station plays a lot of the same Christmas songs as that AC station, making them virtually indistinguishable in December. Our AC went all-Christmas around November 21st two years ago, as I said earlier, but this past year, they only started promoting Christmas music on the Monday before Thanksgiving. Not sure when the Christian station switched over, but I'm thinking that it was a week or two earlier.

Mr. Fisher also understands what a hard economy is. Pretty sure he is not out looking to score, given that he doesn't really need it. I take him at his word that he wants to make people feel better.

Here's a little ditty that we grabbed from Auntie Mame, aghast that somebody had actually left the taxi meter running during the Depression..

http://vimeo.com/478949

I am kind of wondering what happens when it is 80 degrees in Miami on Christmas Eve. It is summertime in the southern hemisphere of earth, and hundreds of millions of people celebrate Christmas throughout the world. The temperatures in Bethlehem do not exactly dip below zero in December. I thought of that too.

vchimpanzee said:
Nick said:
Easy 93.1 in NJ flipped to all-Christmas today. The high was 70 degrees. It's too early.
Temperature has nothing to do with it. In 1982 it was in the 70s on the big day. I liked it.

Actually temperature in mid October has PLENTY to do with it. Temperatures in December when everyone is in the holiday spirit does not. Too early for Christmas music in the middle of October.

It's too early to play it the next day after Halloween.
But most AC/ and Classic Hits format stations has been playing Christmas Music right after Halloween for the last two years here in Boston.. That's too early!!!
Back in the day, they used to play it the next day after Thanksgiving. They should do like that.

Silkie said:
I am kind of wondering what happens when it is 80 degrees in Miami on Christmas Eve. It is summertime in the southern hemisphere of earth, and hundreds of millions of people celebrate Christmas throughout the world. The temperatures in Bethlehem do not exactly dip below zero in December. I thought of that too.
Although in Bethlehem it was most definitely NOT December. The only good reason for associating the secular celebration with winter is that winter woul be too depressing otherwise. Unfortunately, winter lasts three more months after it's over. At least where I live, winter weather doesn't continue that whole time.

Back to the main topic: anytime before the arrival of Santa Claus on the Macy's Parade. THAT'S what kicks off the X-Mas season, as well as the long lines at 3am at Target on Black Friday.

-crainbebo

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom