When is it too early for Christmas music? - Page 23
Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast

Thread: When is it too early for Christmas music?

Pre-Halloween is definitely too early. Post Thanksgiving is ideal, but I think there will be some flips on or near November 1st.

Christmas Music Playlists

Quote Originally Posted by umfan View Post
    Pre-Halloween is definitely too early. Post Thanksgiving is ideal, but I think there will be some flips on or near November 1st.
    I enjoy Christmas/Holiday music after Thanksgiving. The issue as I see it is that the playlists are the same 100 songs no matter what station you listen to in a certain area. Expand the playlists as there are so many variations of excellent music for the season.

Regards

How can there be any pressure on stations to expand the playlist or start the ho-ho-ho earlier when ratings always jump no matter when the switch is flipped and no matter how frequently certain songs get played? The average AC listener -- you know, female, 25-54, not a music or radio geek -- loves the Christmas format and doesn't want it to change. I assume the advertisers feel the same way. Want deeper playlists and later starts? Try internet streams or pay radio (SiriusXM).

I don't want to see the playlists expanded. There were plenty of good performances from the 1940s through the 1960s, and maybe a few traditional sounding ones since then.

The ratings go up, I believe, because people with my musical taste don't have a radio station in the traditional sense the rest of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by CTListener View Post
    How can there be any pressure on stations to expand the playlist or start the ho-ho-ho earlier when ratings always jump no matter when the switch is flipped and no matter how frequently certain songs get played? The average AC listener -- you know, female, 25-54, not a music or radio geek -- loves the Christmas format and doesn't want it to change. I assume the advertisers feel the same way. Want deeper playlists and later starts? Try internet streams or pay radio (SiriusXM).
    I tend to do both to get deeper playlists as well as my own favorites from my personal electronic media. On the terrestial front, I'm interested in listening to what Gold 99 in Ocala/Gainesville as they now live and local.

Regards,

Armando

Since I found this, I'll report it here.

For reasons detailed elsewhere on this site, I have been monitoring WEZV Myrtle Beach SC. That's sort of like listening to it, except the station I actually like is louder (by default, but that works fine in this situation). The station I like was off while they played a song I didn't like and I clearly heard the DJ say that starting this weekend, WEZV plays Christmas music on weekends. Full-time Christmas music starts at Thanksgiving.

That's not a bad way to do it. I think starting it before Veterans Day is too early, but really, anything before Thanksgiving seems too early. The format is usually a winner, even for stations that start in late October, so I see a continued drift to early November for stations that do switch.

WAKW 93.3 Cincinnati went all Christmas yesterday. StationIntel doesn't have a list for some reason, yet. Usually they update a list every day from November 1st to the big day.
    749 AM's in the log, 615 FMs (250 from Western WA), That's a DXer!
    FM, AM and SW DXer of Yakima, WA! God Bless America!
    Last New FM Log: 102.3 KWRL La Grande, OR; 10/23/17
    Last New AM Log: 780 KCEG Fountain, CO 11/19/17

Quote Originally Posted by vchimpanzee View Post
    Since I found this, I'll report it here.

For reasons detailed elsewhere on this site, I have been monitoring WEZV Myrtle Beach SC. That's sort of like listening to it, except the station I actually like is louder (by default, but that works fine in this situation). The station I like was off while they played a song I didn't like and I clearly heard the DJ say that starting this weekend, WEZV plays Christmas music on weekends. Full-time Christmas music starts at Thanksgiving.
    I assumed WEZV was playing Christmas music the entire weekend, but the regular format is back today. Football was on yesterday when I checked.

Quote Originally Posted by umfan View Post
    That's not a bad way to do it. I think starting it before Veterans Day is too early, but really, anything before Thanksgiving seems too early. The format is usually a winner, even for stations that start in late October, so I see a continued drift to early November for stations that do switch.
    One reason I like doing it now is the good AM stations are too hard to hear after dark and it gets dark early. If there were good AM stations. The only place to hear good music on FM is on Christmas music stations.

Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast