• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Albany does not need another Rock format!!

I'm betting Classic Rock, with a newer/younger lean (80s/90s as opposed to the older-leaning PYX)... Classic Rock would make sense because it would take a couple points off PYX... although I was hoping for Jamz to move to 100.9 or maybe the Point simulcasting again... I doubted ABC would try Urban AC again since they failed with Love FM in 2003/4...

PYX is mostly 70s-based, we have plenty of room for an 80s/90s based classic rock format in the market... take listeners from both Q103.9 and PYX 106 :)

As for call letters, what about picking up WHRL or WZMR? I'd park WKLI on Cat Country 104.9 (WKLI kind of fits "Cat" ;))

Bridge is going rock after the labor day weekend...that's for sure...1,009 songs commercial free? When else would it happen?

As far as what kind of rock format...who knows...they have enough staff still hanging around from the edge flip to go that way....but they also have versatile personalities they could use if they went classic...

That is apparently correct...they are flipping it to Rock. The market can support another Rock station too. When CC pulled the plug on WHRL it was still a competitive station in spite of the minimal effort that CC had put in to it its final year of existence. PYX seems very vulnerable right now too...for the same reason. Their last trend...they were nearly tied with co-owned Oldies WTRY which has an anemic signal and a direct competitor that has a better signal. Not to mention that PYX has a monopoly on the Classic Rock format...and a great signal. This should be interesting. Just as WPTR improved local Oldies radio...I would expect that WKLI will do the same for local Rock radio...

Radio is a business focused on the younger demographics. So I'll be looking for a new preset on my car radio FM soon and playing my MP3 tunes more. At home and work, thank God for internet streaming to be able to listen to stations around the world which have some imagination. Perhaps someday someone in this area might have the money and the brains to do something original on the local airwaves. In the meantime another example of Smallbany.

I agree with the people here that we NEED another progressive/new rock station (with a few classics mixed in) for the 25 to 40 demo.....that would include me. There are many people out there gen x and y who didn't grow up with the PYX music. After Channel and The Edge went down, Q103 cornered that market. But they suck ! Q103 Sounds more like a Top 40 (not music format) Classic Rock/New Rock Station. I'm so sick of their playlist and it's the same songs every day over and over. Not much NEW heavy rock or alternative like Channel and the Edge played. Just the same old bands and songs we've all heard thousands of times.
If you listen closely to this format on 100.9, it seems like a combination of Channel 103.1 music and The Edge 104.9 music.

Sure is a good addition for all of us out there that want an alternative to Q103.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom