Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ed Baxter Retires from KGO

Ed Baxter Retires from KGO

It was announced after 11 this morning that 35-year reporter and anchor Ed Baxter has retired. KGO GM Diedre Lieberman confirmed the announcement today, stating that 20-year-plus veteran, Jon Bristow, will joing Jennifer Jones Lee for morning duty from 5-9 weekdays.

Baxter began his lenghthy tenure at KGO as a reporter in 1976, moving to Afternoon News anchor duies for 21 years in the early 80s, then to Morning News Anchor for the past 11 years.

In a statement, Baxter said he looks forward to sleeping in, and that the years of morning duty "...has taken it's toll."

"Naked Hobos -- only come here for the promise of FREE Chicken! CBS Cares." Craig Ferguson - "The Late Late Show" - CBS

Re: Ed Baxter Retires from KGO

Was this a planned retirement or was he given an option to retire or be fired. Is KGO making moves to shore up their tumbling ratings?

Quote Originally Posted by 1069_KIFR
    Was this a planned retirement or was he given an option to retire or be fired. Is KGO making moves to shore up their tumbling ratings?
    KGO's ratings aren't tumbling. They're actually slightly increasing.

Good Luck with retirement Ed

jussomeguy

Thank god. Baxter was a stunningly false and self-absorbed personality; a hack newsman and a mostly unlistenable broadcast annoyance.

What great news that he's finally out of ear shot -- made even better by the news he'll be replaced by Bristow, a talented journalist and one of the few skilled (ok, brilliant) people still left inside Front Street.

Quote Originally Posted by jussomeguy
    Thank god. Baxter was a stunningly false and self-absorbed personality; a hack newsman and a mostly unlistenable broadcast annoyance.

What great news that he's finally out of ear shot -- made even better by the news he'll be replaced by Bristow, a talented journalist and one of the few skilled (ok, brilliant) people still left inside Front Street.
    Thanks for saying that - really, I mean it. I've criticized Baxter before and you would have thought I was attacking the savior, or something. I guess he's a nice guy, so people rush to his defense. He has a perfectly fine announcer's voice, but he's spectacularly inarticulate, and often childish on air.

I stopped listening to the KGO Afternoon News a couple decades ago when he was on with Jan Black. I thought they were both irritating and ignorant. Then Black moved to KCBS and I realized that she was a very smart person and excellent journalist. Baxter had been bringing her down. Same thing with Rosie Allen, who was no slouch either, once she got away from him.

When Baxter took over the KGO Morning News, I stopped listening to that, too. No chance I'll go back now that I'm an NPR junkie, but it's good to know that the quality of the Morning News will improve.

I remember when I took KGO off my list of 'go to' stations for breaking news. It was on the morning of the Sept 11 attacks. After seeing it on the morning news as I was getting ready for work. I was driving to work, I punched up KGO on the radio. It was announced that The FAA had ordered ALL planes to land!! There was Ed Baxter interviewing the SFO spokesperson, at the time, His big question, wasn't about the control towers scrambling to accommodate all the unexpected planes into SFO, but, "What about the passengers luggage?" His concern was that passengers luggage would be at the airport where the passengers were originally scheduled to land, while the passengers are now being directed to other airports.

I flipped it to KCBS where they had live feed from New York as to what was happening. So right then and there KCBS became my go to news events when I only can rely on radio.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKaye
    KGO's ratings aren't tumbling. They're actually slightly increasing.

KGO will have a better chance to take back its customary #1 rating if they go to FM. KCBS has held the #1 spot since they added FM.

Not at first. It took some time. Plus KGO making some changes helped.

Not at first. It took some time. Plus KGO making some changes helped.
    I'm not in the Bay Area so if I got that wrong, sorry! IIRC, KCBS was still a top 5 station when they added FM. KGO was usually #1. When the KCBS simulcast caught on, they went to #1, unseating KGO. That's why I'm of the opinion that if KGO adds FM, they've got a serious chance to regain the #1 rating. KCBS added ratings and lowered their demos when they added FM. IMHO, KGO would like to do likewise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast