• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Radio & TV in Cuba

Both positions are wrong: Cuba for owning all radio/TV stations and no allowing free speech and the US gov't for allowing CLear Channel to own more than 1000 stations with barely any local programming.

Eduardo said:
Both positions are wrong: Cuba for owning all radio/TV stations and no allowing free speech and the US gov't for allowing CLear Channel to own more than 1000 stations with barely any local programming.

Clear Channel owns 840 stations, not "more than 1000." The own just over 5% of all stations in the US.

Most are locally programmed, using shared programming "workparts."

So that's wrong on both points.

As far as radio goes, I do miss the days of limiting market ownership to 1 AM/1 FM/1 TV....it sure made more creative priogramming.....

I am surprised that CC owns <1000 though!

Now back to our thread.....

cd

DavidEduardo said:
Eduardo said:

Clear Channel owns 840 stations, not "more than 1000." The own just over 5% of all stations in the US.

Most are locally programmed, using shared programming "workparts."

So that's wrong on both points.
Sure, because having one company own hundreds and hundreds of radio stations is absolutely democratic ::) ;)

Eduardo said:

Sure, because having one company own hundreds and hundreds of radio stations is absolutely democratic ::) ;)

There is no difference here between one company owning 5% of all radio stations in the US and one company owning 5% of the gasoline stations.

And, if you include LPFM (neighborhood FMs) and translators there are over 23,000 radio stations in the US. Excluding LPFMs and Translators there are 16,400 stations still... meaning that no company has more than 5% of those.

There is no issue about democracy here; most US markets have had a single major metro newspaper for four or five decades with (except for suburban non-metro papers) no real competition.

In your country, you have a presence of Grupo Prisa, which owns about 1,400 radio stations, nearly twice what Clear Channel owns. You also have near-anarchy with pirate stations, local provinces and municipalities and the federal government all "licensing" (and taking away) radio stations.

As to Argentine radio, you have to have live it to understand it: the same applies to US media which operates in an entirely different structure and, for the moment, has a broader array of satellite, mobile and internet competitors.

At a local level, the Los Angeles metro has 95 commercial and non-commercial FM and AM stations. Not all are full signals, but there are nearly 100 of them in the market, as well as another 20 to 25 that are operating from adjacent areas that penetrate part of the LA market.

Clear Channel owns 8 of the Los Angeles stations, 3 AM and 5 FM; that is about 9% of the stations. They must be doing what listeners like, as the total share they get averages about 27% of total listening... so the stations overperform and overdeliver. Listeners, who are free to choose among many stations, choose Clear Channel stations more than any other. In fact, over 70% of LA survey-eligible persons listen to a CC station weekly. The "other" 30% is likely predominantly made up of Spanish dominant Hispanics... since CC does not have a Spanish language station in the market.

Do any of the Cuban radio or TV stations broadcast commercial advertisements?

No, although they do broadcast "ads" for government controlled enterprises... but they sound more like PSA's than ads.

Cuba has a state controlled economy, so there are only very limited free-market activities and, thus, few potential advertisers.

I caught about 15 seconds or Reloj via E-skip on 98.1 in Tennessee a few summers ago.

I've heard a number via E-skip and don't recall any of them being mono. (that includes Reloj. Believe me, it's a kick to hear that familiar format, loud & clear on FM!)

I don't recall hearing any Cuban FMs that *don't* have RDS. No call letters but the RDS does clearly identify which network you're listening to.

Chris Dunne I'm sure has a far better handle on this subject.

Not really. You could have up to 6 Adult Contemporary stations in a market. There weren't really offbeat formats. No one playing 10,000 B sides. Some of you are going to have to answer how you would propose to have 40 stations in a medium market all independenly owned, and have enough revenue for all 40 of them to have around the clock DJs.

As far as radio goes, I do miss the days of limiting market ownership to 1 AM/1 FM/1 TV....it sure made more creative priogramming.....

I am surprised that CC owns <1000 though!

Now back to our thread.....

cd

If you can tune in the SDR on Key West, can hear Radio Reloj "like a local" on 950.
Other Cuban networks include Radio Rebelde (seems to be the biggest) on frequencies like 670, and multiple jamming transmitters on 710 and 1180. There is also Radio Progreso (strongest frequency is 640....that has "Cuban Top 40" on Sunday nights), Radio Encicolpedia (the Cuban Beautiful Music station, widely heard on 530 but usually with Radio Rebelde in tow) and Radio Musical Nacional (classical programming) on 600 among others

With the recent political unrest I think it's time to revisit this thread.

I doubt things change much on the Cuban side of things. On the Miami side of things, I notice a tinge of optimism but much more cautiousness from what I've been able to hear.

Today, the only political stations from Miami are 670, 710 and 1040. The others have either switched to sports or to other ethnic programming.

With the recent political unrest I think it's time to revisit this thread.

I doubt things change much on the Cuban side of things. On the Miami side of things, I notice a tinge of optimism but much more cautiousness from what I've been able to hear.

Today, the only political stations from Miami are 670, 710 and 1040. The others have either switched to sports or to other ethnic programming.
Totalitarian governments with state run media don't report on dissent. Such occurrences are swept under the electronic carpet and ignored until fully repressed.

Where there are dictatorships (de facto or otherwise) but private media outlets, such as Nicaragua and Venezuela, the media has to exercise a careful balancing act to cover news but not offend the government to such an extent that they get closed or confiscated.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom