Radio & TV in Cuba
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Radio & TV in Cuba

Radio & TV in Cuba

It's amazing how little we know about a country 90 miles from Florida, but does anyone know about Radio & TV in Cuba?

Here's what I know, partly from reading other posts here:

Cuba has several national radio networks, which have AM and FM outlets around the island:
    --Radio Reloj (all news and time checks)
    --Radio Rebelde
    --Radio Havana

When I was in Key West, it was easy to hear Radio Reloj on two frequencies, 590 and 950. I also heard Cuban stations playing music on several frequencies but didn't have the time to wait for I.D.s. One played international hits in English as well as Spanish. I was surprised to hear Bruce Springsteen and Madonna one day. Many of the AM stations date back from pre-Castro days. Obviously the FM stations came after Castro's take-over. They've been described as not very powerful and on short towers, which is why they're hard, if not impossible to pick up in the Florida Keys. Others on this board have said while on an airplane flight over the Carribbean, they've heard Cuban FMs on their walkmans. One poster said he was surprised at how clear Radio Reloj sounds on FM.

Do we know if Cuba has FM-only networks or other AM networks in addition to the three I mentioned above? I think I've heard there is a Classical FM station in Havana.

How about TV? Some have posted that Channel 2 and 6 are sometimes seen in the Keys. There are a few examples of Cuban TV on You Tube, including stations caught in Florida on a skip. I assume they have separate programming. Do we have any idea if that's it for TV in Cuba... two networks? Do they produce their own programs mostly or do they import from other Latin America countries for teleromans, dramas, documentaries, etc? Do they carry overseas sports such as The Olympics and The World Cup or is their budget too limited?

Gregg
    nh153@mail.com

Moderator/Assistant Administrator

Re: Radio & TV in Cuba

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg

Do we know if Cuba has FM-only networks or other AM networks in addition to the three I mentioned above? I think I've heard there is a Classical FM station in Havana.
    Radio: http://www.radiocubana.cu/

There are seven national networks (Radio Habana, Cuba, is not a network, it's a shortwave service) and about 20 provincial (regional) stations and maybe 50 local stations.

Do we have any idea if that's it for TV in Cuba... two networks? Do they produce their own programs mostly or do they import from other Latin America countries for teleromans, dramas, documentaries, etc? Do they carry overseas sports such as The Olympics and The World Cup or is their budget too limited?
    TV: five networks, national. http://www.tvcubana.icrt.cu/ About 20 regional production centers, too.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregg

Radio: http://www.radiocubana.cu/

There are seven national networks (Radio Habana, Cuba, is not a network, it's a shortwave service) and about 20 provincial (regional) stations and maybe 50 local stations.

Do we have any idea if that's it for TV in Cuba... two networks? Do they produce their own programs mostly or do they import from other Latin America countries for teleromans, dramas, documentaries, etc? Do they carry overseas sports such as The Olympics and The World Cup or is their budget too limited?
    How many Cuban FM stations are in Stereo? Are they using RDS on some?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Q. George (K1XRB)
    I've heard a number via E-skip and don't recall any of them being mono. (that includes Reloj. Believe me, it's a kick to hear that familiar format, loud & clear on FM!)

I don't recall hearing any Cuban FMs that *don't* have RDS. No call letters but the RDS does clearly identify which network you're listening to.

Chris Dunne I'm sure has a far better handle on this subject.

cd637299

Quote Originally Posted by w9wi
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Q. George (K1XRB)
    I've heard a number via E-skip and don't recall any of them being mono. (that includes Reloj. Believe me, it's a kick to hear that familiar format, loud & clear on FM!)

I don't recall hearing any Cuban FMs that *don't* have RDS. No call letters but the RDS does clearly identify which network you're listening to.

Chris Dunne I'm sure has a far better handle on this subject.
    That would be me, folks.

I've made it a project the last 20 years (more seriously in the last 4-5 years) to go to the Florida Keys to monitor the situation. I bring outdoor antenna, TV/VCR combo & Sony XDR-F1HD among other items.

There are 5 national networks now:

Tele Rebelde (ch 2 in La Habana)
    Canal Educativo (ch 4 LH)
    Cubavision (ch 6 LH)
    Canal Educativo Dos (ch 15 LH)
    Multivision (ch 21 LH)

The last two are an all-UHF network as far as I know.

I had a trip to the Keys on March 28 or so, and was able to actually view about 50 Cuban TV stations.....normally, conditions aren't near that good.

In La Habana there is also Canal Habana (UHF 27/38) that serves the city.

In most cases, the "regional" networks are used by Tele Rebelde stations in late afternoons.

As to FM:

(1) R Reloj on FM *is* mono, at least in LH, as no "ST" readout is on the car stereo.
    (2) At this time, only 1 FM station in LH does not have RDS, and that's R Cadena Habana 99.9. All others have it, but only the name of the network....no songs played or anything. I was told that Reloj in LH (101.5) just added RDS.
    (3) I myself never saw any RDS on stations outside LH (even network stations), until Radio Mayabeque 104.7 in Guines showed it.
    (4) Cuban FMs don't run a lot of power....it's easier to hear it via Es from Kentucky than, say, via Tropo from central Florida! That being said, the above Mayabeque (a recent new station) really belts a signal along the Keys, especially the 7 mile Bridge. I'd like to know how much power they run.

There would be more to say, but I hope this answers some questions.

cd

cd637299

Sorry, I did not address some things.

There are two FM-only networks:

Radio Taino, 93.3 in la Habana (mainly for tourism, but has a local flair). It used to be on AM, but no longer. They claim at TOH as "The FM of Cuba" (bilingual ID----I discovered that there is an English news report at 7:15pm).

Habana Radio, 106.9 in la Habana, but heard throughout Cuba. HR is the easiest catch for me from my home. It's classical/cultural/talk, and some pop.

Also the classical is CMBF, mostly FM like 99.1 in LH, but also AM 590. Easy catch in the Keys on AM. They have a stereo light, but I don't think I have really heard anything in stereo from it.

I am sure there may be some "standalone" FM stations, but I am not 100% sure.

cd

In December 2009 I was in western Puerto Rico (San Germán/Mayagüez) visiting family for the holidays.

One night I was listening to Mayagüez station WKJB on 710 Khz, and when they signed off for the night, in came BOTH Radio Rebelde and WAQI like an electromagnetic duel of ideologies.

cd637299

Quote Originally Posted by thathoustonradiogeek
    In December 2009 I was in western Puerto Rico (San Germán/Mayagüez) visiting family for the holidays.

One night I was listening to Mayagüez station WKJB on 710 Khz, and when they signed off for the night, in came BOTH Radio Rebelde and WAQI like an electromagnetic duel of ideologies.
    Does WKJB suffer from that QRM when they are running? I feel sorry for them, if so.

cd

Moderator/Assistant Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by thathoustonradiogeek

That's pretty normal. WAQI /WGBS always had a nice signal over western PR in WKJB's absence, and is the reason why WKJB has such low night power. The Cuban interference is a consequence of the content of WAQI's programming.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Actually WKJB (which rebroadcasts Radio Isla's programming for the west coast of Puerto Rico) sounded pretty good.

No sign of RR nor Radio Mambi until after the 'KJB switch was thrown.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast